What does it take to get building #14 at POR? (a bit of a rant)

I think many of you have misunderstood. Not being in building 14 has not "ruined my trip." Building 15 is fine. I am just not sure why we had to fight to get it. We have been here for several days now and there is are 3 or 4 families on the second floor. We spend a lot of time at the resort and like to be close to the center of things. And we prefer AB. We will be here 12 days.
Now in the past it has not ruined our trip but definitely changed the dynamics of our trip when we stayed in the Mansions. We were not particularly close to any bus stop. And if you used any bus stop besides the main one, you had to stand by the time it got to you. This may be different now (especially since the crowds seem lighter). We ended up giving up and driving everywhere (which also has its advantages but we felt like we were giving up one of the features of staying on property).

I think many of you have misunderstood. Not being in building 14 has not "ruined my trip." Building 15 is fine. I am just not sure why we had to fight to get it. We have been here for several days now and there is are 3 or 4 families on the second floor. We spend a lot of time at the resort and like to be close to the center of things. And we prefer AB. We will be here 12 days.
Now in the past it has not ruined our trip but definitely changed the dynamics of our trip when we stayed in the Mansions. We were not particularly close to any bus stop. And if you used any bus stop besides the main one, you had to stand by the time it got to you. This may be different now (especially since the crowds seem lighter). We ended up giving up and driving everywhere (which also has its advantages but we felt like we were giving up one of the features of staying on property).

The thing is, room locations are just reqests. There is no way to guarantee being in a certain building, or even a certain area of a resort. Don't take it personal. It sounds like you have been very lucky in the past, and maybe now it is time for other families to be so lucky.

By the way, I was not a happy camper to be placed in Mansions when I requested an AB room. But Magnolia Terrace actually ended up being a good loation. The bus stop is right behind the building, and we had seats far more often than we had to stand. That trip was in October, so maybe we were lucky. But then again the CM at check in told me the resort was full so I'm thinking they just had more busses going to hold the mobs.

We told you already why you can't get rooms that you request. Not sure how else we can explain it better so you understand it.. :confused3
I don't think the OP was looking for an explanation. I think she was just wondering out loud, so to speak. It's sometimes hard to understand why you can't get the area you want when it's obvious that there are empty rooms..and yes, I've seen that happen.
Obviously the OP is having a good time, and is fine with her bldg.

OP don't sweat it 14 is WAY over rated! We stayed there for 10 days once. The room was falling apart and not only did we get bed bugs they hitched a ride home in our luggage! We were on the main floor and we could never open the drapes since a kazillion people a day walked past our window.:eek:

Building 27 water view is my fav....:love: A relaxing stroll.

We leave in 21 days (well, 20 days if you're counting...which I am) and I need an AB room close to the main bus stop. We've got 8 people in two rooms BUT in my room will be me, my DD #3 (age 7), my BF and his best friend D. My thought about POR was that with the trundle, D would have his own bed and so would my DD #3 (my other two can share a bed in the other room with my BFF and her husband). But since we're only four per room, would they really put us in the Mansions? That would be ok (the elevators would be a plus and they don't seem to be as spread out as the AB rooms) but would there be room on the floor for an air mattress? Both my BF and D are big guys - they can't share a double bed! D also has some mobility limitations due to diabetes; he can do stairs but a huge walk to the room after a day in the parks would be miserable.

Is this something I can discuss with the Front Desk ahead of time or should I wait till we get there? I wanted to do on-line check-in.

We leave in 21 days (well, 20 days if you're counting...which I am) and I need an AB room close to the main bus stop. We've got 8 people in two rooms BUT in my room will be me, my DD #3 (age 7), my BF and his best friend D. My thought about POR was that with the trundle, D would have his own bed and so would my DD #3 (my other two can share a bed in the other room with my BFF and her husband). But since we're only four per room, would they really put us in the Mansions? That would be ok (the elevators would be a plus and they don't seem to be as spread out as the AB rooms) but would there be room on the floor for an air mattress? Both my BF and D are big guys - they can't share a double bed! D also has some mobility limitations due to diabetes; he can do stairs but a huge walk to the room after a day in the parks would be miserable.

Is this something I can discuss with the Front Desk ahead of time or should I wait till we get there? I wanted to do on-line check-in.

As I stated above, we asked for anywhere in AB for our last 2 trips and ended up in MB both times.

For our trip last month, we came prepared in case our room request wasn't met and I'm glad we did! We brought an air mattress just in case we didn't get AB with a trundle. We did use the air mattress in our MB room. It fit fine between the door and bed, and we propped it up during the day. You might want to consider bringing an air mattress if having the extra bed is important to you.

D also has some mobility limitations due to diabetes; he can do stairs but a huge walk to the room after a day in the parks would be miserable.

This one is rough because most of the handicap rooms are going to be a king. My in laws took one when we went and it was not close. Now it was close to elevator and the parking lot, but we had no rental car. Good thing he had his EVC on resort it not sure how we would have worked it out.

You really need to look into having an EVC I think. Check the disability boards here for better info. Good luck but just know that you have good chance of landing far away. Just the fact that a majority of rooms are a hike.

One tip if not too late, what about moving to POR French Quarter. Much smaller resort..

I think was the OP was saying is that it is quite understandable that not everyone can stay in building 14 - but why, when she checked in at 7am, was she allocated a room at completely the opposite end of the resort, in a different section, when there must logically have been a whole load of rooms which more closely matched what she was asking for?

I must admit I've found the same thing over the past few years too, whereas prior to that room-requests seemed to have at least been attempted.

Last year, for example, we nicely requested (as usual) building 14 river view if possible, but were allocated two pool view rooms in building 35 or 36 when we checked in at 5pm - which is about as far away as you can get. After being told that there was nothing else any closer as the resort was busy, we spent a few minutes talking to a front desk supervisor and were offered a very nice water view room in building 14, plus one in 16 with a change over to 14 the next day. OK, they were not connecting rooms but were still within 6 rooms of each other and were absolutely fine.

This year we tried making our requests more open: a room in building 14 if possible, otherwise riverfront in Parterre or Oak somewhere near the bridge. We were initially offered a pool view on the far side of Acadian, which again is about the most remote section of the resort. Again, a brief and helpful discussion later and we were given a lovely waterfront room in Magnolia Terrace, right next to a bridge. So again, why did we have to ask to be moved?

Later in our stay when the front desk was quieter, I asked a supervisor about these last few year's experiences, asking how the resort normally handled requests and/or pre-arrival faxes. She said that they don't ignore them (which was good) but could not explain why people were being offered complete opposites to requests, rather than something generally close. They apparently do not get a lot of pre-arrival faxes/etc, so they should be actioned.

She did mention that room blocking is based on the number of rooms in a booking; 3 or more rooms would be blocked out around 3-4 days in advance, 2 rooms about 2 days out and single-rooms possibly the day before, which might make a difference when deciding when to send any communication to the resort.

Andre

I must admit I've found the same thing over the past few years too, whereas prior to that room-requests seemed to have at least been attempted.

Later in our stay when the front desk was quieter, I asked a supervisor about these last few year's experiences, asking how the resort normally handled requests and/or pre-arrival faxes. She said that they don't ignore them (which was good) but could not explain why people were being offered complete opposites to requests, rather than something generally close. They apparently do not get a lot of pre-arrival faxes/etc, so they should be actioned.

Andre

It does seem like room requests are not being considered. We gave a room request broad enough "anywhere in AB" that we feel it could have been honored. With both stays, we asked for a change to AB when assigned MB rooms and they wouldn't move us. :confused3

In the greater scheme of things, we were still happy to be at WDW & POR, but with such a broad room request it shouldn't have been hard to have been placed in AB.

If we stay at POR again, we'll be bringing the air mattress again just in case we're put in Magnolia Bend.

One tip if not too late, what about moving to POR French Quarter. Much smaller resort..

The reason we picked POR was because of the trundles. We would have to move two rooms rather than just one since our reservation is linked with my BFF's. Also my mother is coming mid-week with a reservation in POR as well. If we move our two rooms then she'll have to move her room (she doesn't want to stay at a different hotel from us).

I guess BFF and I will both do on-line check in and request AB near the South Depot (that's the main bus stop, right?), citing the mobility issue for location but not requesting a handicapped room, and, since our reservations are linked for the Grand Gathering, we should be at least close to each other if not connecting. I will bring an air mattress just in case; if we get put in the far rear of the resort in AB, I'll ask about availability in the Mansions. If it's too cramped, # 3 can go to Nanny's room when she gets there on Tuesday.

Thank goodness we're driving up from Miami rather than flying in to Orlando - how in the world would I pack an air mattress?:confused3

We asked to be anywhere in AB with our rooms close to each other (family traveling together 2 rooms).
when we checked in for your May trip.....they had us both in mansions a few blds apart. :confused3
come on...we asked to be close together...was that really an issue?

so in the end they found us rooms in the same mansion but not close together.

we had both requests on our ressie. but really whats the use of taking requests if they can't even grant a general one like putting a family next to each other:headache:

ok rant over. :goodvibes

Thank goodness we're driving up from Miami rather than flying in to Orlando - how in the world would I pack an air mattress?:confused3

Bringing the mattress wasn't so difficult on a plane. We flew SW so we were allowed 2 checked luggages per person, and the mattress folded up went into a small checked suitcase.

The air pump fit well into a duffle bag which was dh's carry-on. He was afraid that the air pump could get cracked in checked luggage, though in a carry-on it was fine. That was all he had as a carry-on, just a duffle with the air pump. We wrapped our beach towel (which we were bringing anyway) around the pump to cushion it a little.

Assigning families close together is easy if those rooms are open on the day you check in. However Disney resorts and especially moderate ones run almost full every day of the year.

Certainly no one thinks they can move people out of their room that are already there to accommidate a guest checking in. :confused3

We asked to be anywhere in AB with our rooms close to each other (family traveling together 2 rooms).
when we checked in for your May trip.....they had us both in mansions a few blds apart. :confused3
come on...we asked to be close together...was that really an issue?

so in the end they found us rooms in the same mansion but not close together.

we had both requests on our ressie. but really whats the use of taking requests if they can't even grant a general one like putting a family next to each other:headache:

ok rant over. :goodvibes

Reqeusts are just that, requests. There is no guarantee that you will get any of your requests met. The best way to go about things is to not expect that you will get any of them, and be happy when you do recieve one or all of them. Don't make the tone of your vacation depend on getting your requests.

If you have multiple reqeusts, you may have to settle for just getting one of them met. Decide what is the most important thing (connecting rooms or rooms on a ground floor?) and list that one first. At check in mention which one you feel is a must have and be willing to let the others go. That will up your chances of at least getting the one you really want met.

If someone needs a particular room location or type because of a health issue, then you really need to go post over on the Disabilities board. There is a certain department at Disney you need to go thru in order to be sure you get the room type you need.

1) Requesting a specific building or room is not a good idea.
2) If it is not available, you get placed anywhere.
3) Fortunately, not getting bldg-14 is not a destroyer for a vacation.

I have a question for you, a little OT-I hope you don't mind. I am staying at the Poly for the first time Nov. 30-Dec. 9.

We are taking this trip because we had a terrible tradgedy over the sumer. Our barn burned down, killing my 2 DD's horse and pony. They rode everyday and showed them every weekend. They were a part of our family and everyday life. I know taking them to WDW is not a cure all for them, but I think it would be nice to get away and take their minds off of things at home.

That being said, I want to make our stay at the Poly the best that it can be. They know that we are going to WDW, but they do not know that we are staying at the POLY. It is a surprise! They wanted to stay here last year, but DH didn't want to spend the extra money. This year he is up for it!:cool1: I wanted to stay in Hawaii, but there aren't anymore rooms available. And, I know I want either Samoa, Tokleau, Tahiti, or some where on that side of the resort. So, here is my question....What and where should I request to get to that side of the resort, without being too pushy? Oh, and since we can't do CL, we booked a GV room.

Sorry for the long post and TIA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter