• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

what does everyone want to do, career-wise?

collegejunkie

DIS Veteran
this question is for CPers and non-CPers, though i'm interested in hearing the jobs CPers want and hope to be more competitive for by doing the CP.

i have a friend who did it fall 2010 and she wants to go to law school. she did it just for fun and loved it. i have 2 friends there now for spring 2011. one wants to be a publicist or work for a hotel, so she figured exposure to a tourist-laden crowd would help her get used to dealing with different people. the other wants to be a school psychologist so he's happy to work with a younger population. the fall 2010 friend was a full-service FB (not sure what it's called, sorry; she worked in the hollywood brown derby). the spring 2011 friends are doing QSFB and lifeguarding.

maybe put it in this format
school:
major:
career goals:
DCP, yes/no, role, when:
why did you decide to do the DCP?:
did it help (in your career pursuits)? why or why not?:

school: Central Michigan University

major: Commercial Recreation

career goals: Event Management in some capacity

Role: I did the CP Fall 2010 in Attractions
why did you decide to do the DCP?: it had been talked up so much by anyone I knew who did it that I had been dreaming about it for 7 years before I was actually able to do it!

did it help (in your career pursuits)? why or why not?: Well.. I'm not out in the job market yet, but I HOPE it does. Every company wants to know Disney's secret and I expect potential employers to ask about my CP during my interviews. And... I actually didn't think I'd end up in Disney before doing my CP, but after the college program, I can definitely see myself ending up there. The CP would DEFINITELY be a stepping stone for that!

I thought I'd reply to this even though my CP Professional Internship isn't for awhile :rotfl:

school: University of California Irvine (15 mins from DL :banana:)
major: Astrobiology
career goals: Either to work for NASA or the space program :goodvibes or switch pace to a veterinarian
DCP, yes/no, role, when: Not yet, I'll be doing the Professional Internship after I graduate with my bachelors in 2013 :cool1:
why did you decide to do the DCP?: I decided when my friend from Pennsylvania did it for Fall 2010 and I got introduced to it. If it wasn't for my school contracting us into graduating in 4 years, I'd probably be in FL right now!!
did it help (in your career pursuits)? why or why not?: I think it'll help me build my resume and get into a good graduate school.

school: CUNY (collection of NYC universities)

major: Liberal Arts currently, soon too be Journalism, or Museum Studies...Or Anthro..I'm indecisive

career goals: To own the Walt Disney Co. (I'm not even joking) Also to be a novelist, otherwise I'm not sure yet.

DCP, yes/no, role, when: Yep, fall 2011, Attractions, this is part because I love the program and part because I want to apply for an alumni internship in the future

why did you decide to do the DCP?: After high school I wasn't too excited about going straight into college because i had messed up and wouldn't be able to go away, home life for me isn't the best so jokingly I googled 'work at Disney world' and the careerstart program came up, I did it and I was hooked.

did it help (in your career pursuits)? why or why not?: As of right now? I don't actually have any career pursuits I'm mostly just a student, so too soon to tell.

Hi, I'm Stephanie =]

school: Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, GA
major: Early Childhood Education
career goals: Elem school teacher then gifted teacher or principal
DCP, yes/no, role, when: applying for spring 2012
why did you decide to do the DCP?: want to work for disney!
did it help (in your career pursuits)? why or why not?: n/a.

school: St. John Fisher College (western NY)
major: Biology, minor in chemistry
career goals: veterinarian (fallback to either research and/or teaching)
DCP, yes/no, role, when: applied for 4 Fall 2011 PI's
why did you decide to do the DCP?: oppertunity to get solid experience and work for Disney
did it help (in your career pursuits)? why or why not?: N/A

school: St. Edward's University

major: Communication- Public Relations, Advertising, and Media Arts

career goals: I don't have any specific goals but I would love to do something with external marketing/pr communications perhaps with an emphasis on social media. I plan on doing a PI in the spring and then hopefully getting some sort of role with Disney doing the above mentioned things.

DCP, yes/no, role, when: I was a Character Attendant for the Spring 2010 program and stayed over the summer as a Seasonal Cast Member.

why did you decide to do the DCP?: I have always loved Disney so the idea of working for the company was appealing to me. I also knew that pretty much any role I was in would provide great communication experience.

did it help (in your career pursuits)? why or why not?: I definitely think it did. As an attendant you are doing a lot of advertising and pr style communications when it comes to dealing with guests and their desire to see certain characters. Through the program I also started a blog which I keep pretty regularly updated which will help show my experience with Social Media. Since that is a growing area of PR its a great boon to me. I think doing the CP and then hopefully doing a PI will be incredibly helpful and will make me more competitive.

school:University of Connecticut

major: Undecided at the moment, but starting to lean towards Communications.

career goals: Not sure what specifically, but I would LOVE to work for the Walt Disney Company.

DCP, yes/no, role, when: Not yet, but I'm planning to go for Spring 2012.

why did you decide to do the DCP?: I learned about it while in high school, and was hooked immediately, and now that I'm in college and have made friends with other girls who want to do the DCP, I am 100% on board!!!

did it help (in your career pursuits)? why or why not?: I'm sure it will in the long run, no matter what I decide to do for a career. ESPECIALLY if I want to work for Disney full time, this is a fantastic way to get my foot in the door.

school: Hofstra University
major: Secondary Education and History
career goals: Well, the plan is to teach high school history. :)
DCP, yes/no, role, when: Applying for Fall 2013. Photopass is my top pick right now.
why did you decide to do the DCP?: It's just a dream of mine to work there and, since I don't have any plans to make a career out of it, this is my one chance to get my fill of Disney magic. :)
did it help (in your career pursuits)? why or why not?: I certainly don't think it'll hurt! It might not help me land a job, but I think the experiences will definitely help shape me as a person and have a great influence on myself as a whole and for everything I do afterwards in life. :3

school:Florida Gulf Coast University
major: Resort and Hospitality Management
career goals: Start out as a front desk manager and work my way up to general manager or regional for WDW
DCP, yes/no, role, when: HOPEFULLY Fall 2011.. Moving there in July with or without an invite.. :)
why did you decide to do the DCP?: My major is hospitality, i want to manage a hotel, i want to manage a disney hotel... any questions? :P
did it help (in your career pursuits)? why or why not?: It should! I plan to stay with the company and work my way up. :D

school: Montclair State University
major: General Humanities
career goals: It was to just work at Disney
DCP, yes/no, role, when: My CPs were Spring 2005 (merchandise), FA 2006 (character attendant), Summer 2007 (Epcot WS custodial), Summer 2008 (QSFB/character attendant), Fall 2009 (Toy Story Mania), Spring 2010 (Great Movie Ride)
why did you decide to do the DCP?: I needed a change. I wasn't happy at home, I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life, and I was undecided with school. Plus, I am a HUGE Disney fan
did it help (in your career pursuits)? why or why not?: Yes it did. After my last CP, I was able to get fulltime at the location I wanted, and now I am very happy working with Disney

school: Chapman University
major: Screenwriting
minor: Anthropology
career goals: to be Indiana Jones. Or write for a tv show. Or sell screenplays. Or be a show writer for Imagineering. Or something else in the entertainment industry.
DCP, yes/no, role, when: I will be attending Fall Advantage 2011 in an Attractions role.
why did you decide to do the DCP?: Because it'd be fun. Because I love travelling, and Disney. Because my entire family has worked for this mouse and now its MY turn.
did it help (in your career pursuits)? why or why not?: Maybe. I'd like to do a PI later or work for ABC and having Disney on a resume couldn't hurt.

I haven't really decided when to apply or where...but i know itll be farly soon...

school: University of North Florida

major: Cinematography (possible minor in Geography)

career goals: work for a succesful movie studio...perheps Disney? ;) or any studio owned by them

DCP, yes/no, role, when: not yet, but wanting to apply after getting my AA, which would be like fall 2012

why did you decide to do the DCP?: I think it'll def. help work my way up to an internship and then getting a job with them. There is a wide range of cinematography with Disney so we'll see!

did it help (in your career pursuits)? why or why not?: I hope! I definately think it'll help at least in the slightest.

school: Georgia Gwinnett College (Lawrenceville, GA)

major: TESOL or Modern language & cultures (undecided)

career goals: No idea! I'd love to help people learn English though :)

DCP, yes/no, role, when: Spring Advantage 2010 Magic Kingdom Main Entrance Merchandise, applied for Summer Alumni 2011

why did you decide to do the DCP?: If you have to ask you'll never know :)

did it help (in your career pursuits)? why or why not?: It definitely did in the aspect that I met LOADS of kids my age around the world, and I'm really in love with world culture & languages. So far it mostly solidified that.
& it even helped with other jobs: I went to Universal Studios after my DCP (I couldn't extend or go seasonal.. long story) and pretty much the entire interview with the manager of the Wizarding World area consisted of me talking about what the DCP was and what it was like. (Don't worry, no secrets shared ;) )
It also helped me get my current job at Starbucks. Disney kids are generally known to be approachable and nice :)

hey i'm matthew!!

school: triton college

major:elementary education hopefully with middle school, math, and possibly a science endorsement

career goals:i would really think its cool to work at the school that i grew up with, and coach volleyball and basketball and possibly soccer. <--- my dream job:worship:

DCP, yes/no, role, when: not accepted yet waiting as of right now DAY 17 :/

why did you decide to do the DCP?: it seems like an awesome experience nd fun ppl and fun time, and i bleed disney :eek:

School: University of Minnesota - Twin Cities

Major: Astrophysics

Career goals: Right now it's looking like something in software engineering, but we'll see. Imagineering...?

DCP, yes/no, role, when: Never before, but I'm hoping to do concierge, FSFB or recreation this fall!

Why did you decide to do the DCP?: I have a friend who did the CP in F09 and had the time of her life, so I figure having a blast while earning a paycheck and having the opportunity to network within one of the most successful businesses in the world is something I should not miss out on!

Will it help (in your career pursuits)? Why or why not?: My role, no. But networking within the (ideally) corporate and tech communities is priceless! Guest relations training from the best of the best can't hurt either ;)

I thought I'd reply to this even though my CP Professional Internship isn't for awhile :rotfl:

school: University of California Irvine (15 mins from DL :banana:)
major: Astrobiology
career goals: Either to work for NASA or the space program :goodvibes or switch pace to a veterinarian
DCP, yes/no, role, when: Not yet, I'll be doing the Professional Internship after I graduate with my bachelors in 2013 :cool1:
why did you decide to do the DCP?: I decided when my friend from Pennsylvania did it for Fall 2010 and I got introduced to it. If it wasn't for my school contracting us into graduating in 4 years, I'd probably be in FL right now!!
did it help (in your career pursuits)? why or why not?: I think it'll help me build my resume and get into a good graduate school.

We go to the same school!

school: University of California Irvine
major: Psychology and Social Behavior and Public Health Policy
career goals: not 100% sure yet...I plan on going to graduate school for either my MSW or MPH and than get my PhD in clinical child psychology
DCP yes/no: no. As much fun as it sounds, with wanting to go to graduate school, etc I need to be more focused on internships based on my majors. Also, its just too much when you are on a 10 week quarter system.

School: The University of Tennessee

Major: English | Creative Writing

Minor: Tourism and Hospitality management

Career Goals: First is to find what niche of the Disney Company I'd like to work for; resort manager right now sounds good, although working for Adventures sounds heavenly. But while pursuing a Disney career, I'm also working on getting my writing published, or even going into the editting business myself.

DCP/Role/Year: I did the CareerStart Program last year (SA 2010), and got QSF&B at the Electric Umbrella/Fountain View. I also was just accepted for FA 2011 in merchandise!

Why did you decide to do the DCP?: I chose to do CS because I was graduating high school a semester early, and what better way to spend my extra semester? I'm doing the DCP because I have been in a post-Disney depression since I left. :sad2:

Did it help your career pursuits?: Oh, definitely. While I was down there I met Tim Foster and Lou Mongello, and got a chance to write for their magazine, Celebrations Press. And more recently I was asked to write a weekly column about my experience with a Disney website, which I hope to later turn into a book. So it's definitely aided my writing career. It's also a huge talking point with anyone I meet, from teachers and future employers to the nurse at student health services.

School: College just outside of Toronto, Canada

Degree: Journalism

Career goals: I took the Journalism program because it's the only program with writing classes that is nearest to where I live. I wish they had a creative writing or English course in the University next door but they don't. :guilty: I'd like to work in publishing as a book editor though.

Disney Program?: I wanted to get into the International College Program but I'm not going to university so...(I don't understand why you have to be university. It's called the "College" Program...:sad2:) I'm hoping to get into the Cultural Rep. Program because I love Disney and I want to get some more experience on my resume.

i would assume they mean college as well. university is a highly overused term that relates only to the size of the school. They shouldn't only allow those who go to a large school

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter