What does everyone think of Mission Space?

The first time I rode Mission Space I was with two of my children, DS9 and DD7. It was hysterical because my DS9 watched the pre-show with intensity and took it so seriously. He was literally screaming at my DD7 to "push the button, push the right button!!" and tried to reach over to push them for her. I was laughing so hard. He was so mad because he thought his sister made them lose the game. He thought you could stop the ship from crashing if you "played it well." He had to ride it again with DH just to see that the ride didn't change.

I think I was distracted from the feeling of the ride because when I got off I felt horrible. It did me in for the rest of the day! DH was hit even harder.:sick:

The next time I rode the calmer side. Dh refused to go on. It wasn't too bad but I think I will skip it the next time we go.

I don't know what happened to me.

DH and I went before there were two options. We both had headaches when we got off. Now we don't normally get sick...not motion sick or car sick or sea sick...but we got Mission:Space sick. It was so bad for DH that he doesn't even want to try the non-spinning one.

:sick:

I guess I was kinda like kjetjl's son taking it so seriously. I'm an engineer, what can I say?:confused3 Besides, this was the first time riding any rides since getting put on BP medication, so a little bit of anxiety about whether or not some of the rides would be too much.:confused: I considered the tamer side, but since the rest of the family was going on the intense voyage, and I have always had an interest in the space program and what that would feel like, I figured why not go for it.:yay: After all, knowing that the insurance premium was paid up, the rest of the family was encouraging me to do it together. :laughing:

Like I said, I took it seriously and therefore I almost never took my eyes off the screen, partly due to the warnings but also because I didn't want to miss anything.:rolleyes1 Besides, if I didn't do my job correctly I could cause something catastrophic to happen, right?:scared1: I thought it was a very good ride (not as much as EE or RnR, but up there). I can't handle things that spin you around and around (like the teacups someone mentioned). We got off and my family mentioned when it spun you around and I was like....what? I don't remember that??? Staring at the screen I guess you don't even notice it, and I am one who you would think would notice it because I would have had major vertigo if I had been on the teacups, and felt nauseous for a while.:sick: Mission Space didn't affect me at all. All that concern up front was nothing more than a waste of time.

The first and only time I went on this was last year. My bf wanted to go on the intense side while I opted for the tame side. Usually I like the simulator rides but this was too much. I was freaking out and didn't like having a stranger next to me that I might potentially grab! :rolleyes1 I was so relieved when it was over and will never do it again. Too cramped and too real!!

I thought I was going to die, I felt so trapped! NEVER again!!!!!!!!!!!
Same here, I panicked and started banging on the doors to get out! My kids sort of freaked when I did it... I just couldn't calm down. Luckily the cm's let us off before it started. I almost cried with relief.

I never knew I was that claustrophobic. I knew small spaces bothered me, but wow!

I'm not crazy about it. It's a little too disorienting and kind of makes me nauseous. My fiance loves it though.

I think that mission space can make people sick to their stomachs:sick:. But I'm glad that disney made a less intense one for people with this problem. I don't think that you should go on mission:space after you eat.

I did the green side and just the screen simulation motion left me kind of dizzy and queasy. And I have never in my life felt claustrophobic, but I did a little on this ride, it is kind of freaky to be all shut in like that! I won't ride it again.

are any of you more like "Pooh" than "Tigger" in your proportions? I ask because when I was around 130lbs or so I loved the centrifugal, g-force rides. However, times change and so do proportions. The last time I tried a centrifugal ride (Huntsville Space Center) I thought I was literally going to die. Only two things had changed since the time before...I was a bit older and a bit heavier.

When we get the chance to ride MS, it's going to be a tough decision because in my head I love that kind of thing but unless I lose 50 lbs between now and then I don't know if I should even attempt it. Any insights?

Once I figured out what works for me to keep me from getting motion sickness (short version: eat a banana about 1 hour prior to motion sickness inducing ride; suck on a peppermint hard candy while in the queue; remain calm and breathe normally while on the ride), I was able to enjoy Mission:Space (orange side).

That said, I'd rate it as a do once per trip ride. It's not the greatest thing ever, IMO. I'd much rather catch another ride on Test Track or Soarin' instead of doing M:S a second time.

are any of you more like "Pooh" than "Tigger" in your proportions? I ask because when I was around 130lbs or so I loved the centrifugal, g-force rides. However, times change and so do proportions. The last time I tried a centrifugal ride (Huntsville Space Center) I thought I was literally going to die. Only two things had changed since the time before...I was a bit older and a bit heavier.

When we get the chance to ride MS, it's going to be a tough decision because in my head I love that kind of thing but unless I lose 50 lbs between now and then I don't know if I should even attempt it. Any insights?

I am 6' and weigh around 255, which is about 60 or so pounds over what I should be, although I am big framed so you probably wouldn't guess I weighed quite that much. Turning 49 this summer, so no spring chicken and like I said, I was somewhat concerned before I rode due to being put on BP medicine about two months prior.

Once I figured out what works for me to keep me from getting motion sickness (short version: eat a banana about 1 hour prior to motion sickness inducing ride; suck on a peppermint hard candy while in the queue; remain calm and breathe normally while on the ride), I was able to enjoy Mission:Space (orange side).

That said, I'd rate it as a do once per trip ride. It's not the greatest thing ever, IMO. I'd much rather catch another ride on Test Track or Soarin' instead of doing M:S a second time.

I agree about once per trip. I enjoyed it, but once you do it the excitement of what comes next would be gone and that helps add to it IMO. We didn't do it but once last summer, but plan to this trip. Now ToT, RnR, SM and EE got multiple use on our trip, and it was just as much fun....and will be this trip too I expect.

I tend more toward the Pooh size, but M:S doesn't bother me. That's especially odd since simulator rides like Star Tours usually do. But it's in my WDW Top 5, and may be my overall favorite. I've always been a fan of the space program, and I figure this is probably the closest I'll get to a real trip into outer space.

The first time I went on that ride was with my dad. And I'm an adreniline junkie. So i think it's an unfair advantage over this ride. but about a month before my dad and went on this we did a Dog Fight simulation in little fighter planes here in AZ. So I kinda thought this was a pretty dull ride especially when everyone hyped it up so much.
But I realize everyone has there limits and I just haven't found mine yet.I do agree about the size thing I'm 5'2 110 and I felt cramped.

I LOVE IT!!!

It is my favorite ride but I am a space nut so there are alternate reasons.

LOVE IT!.. DD and I ride the orange as much as we can. Never had a problem with it. Some times we ride it 3 or 4 times in a row within an hour if the lines are short. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter