What does Disney do differently with regard to infection control?

Yes on Disney ships they have hand sanitizer stations in a lot of the places onboard. Also whenever you walk into the buffet or main restaurants their is a cast member or two handing out wipes to everyone before they enter the restaurant. If I recall correctly too the quick service places have hand sanitizers next to them as well.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards

I don't believe I've ever seen anything done on DCL that I haven't seen on other lines as well. The 3 HAL cruises I've taken the first few days buffet is not self serve, once things seem good they allow self serve. I don't think I've seen that on DCL. Maybe after an outbreak. :confused3 But I did notice the switch from the liquid hand sanitizer to wipes. Anyone know why they did this? Doesn't it just mean they have more waste to eliminate? Statistically DCL's 4 ships can't really compare to the other fleet sizes and possibilities for infection. We wash, avoid touching common areas, avoid elevators, sanitize and appreciate what the cruise lines try to do to help.

Norovirus is contracted through contaminated food or water and then spreads like wildfire. It is true that someone could board the ship infected with norovirus, but most commonly the virus starts on the vessel itself.
Disney and other lines such as Costa and Norwegian have good CDC health inspection ratings. I'd suspect these lines have good records because they keep the food service, prep, and storage places as clean as possible.
So I wouldn't say Disney is the most "Germ Immune", I'd say their very cautious about food prep and delivery.

I have a C'est la vie to a certain extent. what else can ya do besides have travel insurance???

:thumbsup2
Life is challenging enough without worrying about things I cannot control. Take common-sense precautions. If I get sick, oh well.

I think they other thing we are missing here, Is Disney is well prepared for fighting germs..

Before I had kids I was never sick, two kids later and they bring home everything!
Disney is VERY use to dealing with children, and their germs..
I'm sure they have studies on how germs spread and best way to fight them.

Disney also knows they take a big risk, if a child gets sick on their cruise and dies... They could be sued, not to mention the bad press and loss of sales..
I must say when DH and I 1st heard of DCL we wondered why Disney would take such a risk..

But happy they did, we love cruising with Disney!

I have actually seen CMs chase kids into the restaurants that bypassed using the hand wipes.

Also, I haven't seen it mentioned, that Disney frequently switches out the utensils at the buffets.

There are sign in the bathrooms telling you to use a paper towel and not directly touch the door handle to exit the bathrooms.

No system is perfect, but Disney does a good job.

I think the big difference between the parks and the ships is that onboard the ships you have a set group together for a set time. In the parks you have people coming & going from WDW all the time and they don't have to report to a central medical facility if they get sick.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/wel...-claim-hand-sanitizer-stops-norovirus-spread/

There are many reports out there that hand sanitizer s do not kill norovirus

From the CDC website.

http://www.cdc.gov/features/norovirus/

Practice proper hand hygiene

Wash your hands carefully with soap and water, especially after using the toilet and changing diapers and always before eating or preparing food. If soap and water aren't available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. These alcohol-based products can quickly reduce the number of germs on hands in some situations, but they are not a substitute for washing with soap and water.

This may sound a bit silly, but I always take with me a package of Clorox wipes and mini can of Lysol. Before anyone in my family touch anything in a room (hotel or cruise) I go to town on the bath room, all surfaces in the room including drawers, doors, fridge, and closets. I have a DS who is a little germ monster but it helps to get all the little forgotten things. Most importantly light fixture switches, ac/heat switches, knobs, remotes, tv panel, and the phone and alarm clocks. I spray the Lysol over the carpets and bedding coverings. No one is barefoot on the floorings ever. We bring slippers (disposable hotel style) that we toss the last day. I also use the many shopping bags we get from the shops in the garbage cans in our room. For some reason I never found a garbag can/ waste bin that is lined.
I know it is a bit extream, but it works.
I also carry some Clorox wipes in a Baggie for wiping down tables etc... At ports or WDW.
And after all that..... Yes it has happened before that someone gets sick, nothing like that virus, but it can happen. So there is no sure thing. I like to think that I did all I could and maybe lessened the illness severity. Also to note is to boost immune system before traveling anywhere (take your vitamins) and hope for the best. :flower3:

Try not to think of how filthy and germ-filled the MDR menus are.

As much as this makes me cringe, you're right.

I won't read the magazines at doctor's offices because of all the germy hands that are probably on them all day/week/month.

People!! :confused3:confused3:confused3

You can't possibly believe that Disney can do a better job of keeping germs at bay than any other cruise line.....can you???
Is it the magic pixie dust? :tink:

In direct answer to the OP's question: There is nothing Disney does differently with regard to infection control.

You can't possibly believe that Disney can do a better job of keeping germs at bay than any other cruise line.....can you???

In direct answer to the OP's question: There is nothing Disney does differently with regard to infection control.

Yes, they actually do. It's the Kool Aid. :lmao:

Try not to think of how filthy and germ-filled the MDR menus are.

This.
Also, this kind of put it into perspective for me: http://www.thedoctorstv.com/videolib/init/10785
In light of the latest Noro/cruise ship incident, the doctors on the TV show, The Doctors did a segment on it. Dr. Travis said the Norovirus is so common that it's only second to the common cold. No, it doesn't make the symptoms feel any better but maybe putting into that kind of perspective, hopefully will calm cruisers down and try to relax and have a good time instead of worrying about germs. And if you do get sick, try to think of others and try to keep it to yourself as much as possible instead of spreading it around.

None of us have ever gotten strep (and we represent three different public school districts--major germ fest) but I am very susceptible to pink eye. I will be taking some meds with me just in case! :eek:

They had the drops needed for pink eye onboard. DS was just told to stay in the cabin for 24 hours.

Note that not all outbreaks are documented on the site. We were on a January 2011 Wonder cruise where our friends all came down with this virus, along with every cabin in their aft hallway. The medical center wouldn't see them, possibly to prevent documentation. The stateroom host refused to enter the stateroom the second day after finding out the 2nd person in that room was ill. They had to fend for themselves grabbing towels from the cart down the hall and piling dirty linens outside of the room hoping they would be collected since no host was entering any of the rooms in that section of the ship. Everyone else had linens in the hallway as well. Someone got sick at the muster drill when we were in AP. When we returned home, I saw on the DIS that the previous 2-3 cruises on the Wonder operated with the CMs manning the buffets & drink stations. DCL made the decision to lift that on our cruise and obviously hadn't cleaned the affected areas enough. Before you harp on the linens in the hall thing, picture yourself with 2A2K in a cat 10 for 3 nights with no clean linens, the trash not emptied and up to 3 of you ill at one time.

We were on that cruise too, down on deck 2 and had two of three kids sicker than dogs. Our stateroom host wouldn't clean or bring us anything (linens, ice, NOTHING) and the ship's medical told us NOT to bring our second sick kid in. After the fact, DCL had no record that he was ever sick, only our daughter. It was a lovely introduction to cruising with DCL.

Since that day, I've been convinced DCL lies about their numbers to the CDC.

We need a smilie for a facepalm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter