What do you wear when it's HOT?

For people who burn easy, you may wanna consider fake baking a few times in a tanning booth so you can build a base tan and save yourself from getting crushed by the sun the first day of your trip. Also goes without saying, do some legit research on sunscreen, also remember sunscreen has about a one year shelf life so just buy new before you leave.

Regarding sunscreen, I'm very fair and my DH is fairish, the spray on sun screen is a dream, it lets you get everywhere without taking 20 minutes to apply, we actually like the Target brand 72 spf best and its very affordable, most of all, it doesn't clog up the nozzle like some others do but the spray variety is darn handy.

Regarding sunscreen, I'm very fair and my DH is fairish, the spray on sun screen is a dream, it lets you get everywhere without taking 20 minutes to apply, we actually like the Target brand 72 spf best and its very affordable, most of all, it doesn't clog up the nozzle like some others do but the spray variety is darn handy.

My guy and I are the same way (and we have tattoos we don't want to fade!). We spray each other down pretty frequently with 100spf while at the parks and while we're both pretty pale, neither of us have gotten a burn in our past 2 trips!

My guy and I are the same way (and we have tattoos we don't want to fade!). We spray each other down pretty frequently with 100spf while at the parks and while we're both pretty pale, neither of us have gotten a burn in our past 2 trips!

Have you found a difference between 50+ spf and 100 spf? I honestly buy whatever the top spf is at the place I'm at the moment in the brand I like, but I can tell no difference in the spray on sun screen between 50 and 100. We do use good dermatologist stuff for our faces so that's a bit different... Just curious about this and wondering if I'm the only one? I CAN tell a difference between 30ish and 50ish though...

I'm still a little pooh-sized (but -70 pounds!) and I still buy some clothing at Lane Bryant; they sell exercise clothing, so I will usually buy their workout capris and then wear a light t-shirt or tank top.

Those of you talking SPF, I've read a lot of articles where professionals all claim that anything above 45 is silly because 45 blocks 98% of UV rays, but no sunscreen, no meter the SPF will block all of them.

So save yourself the money and buy the SPF 45 instead of the "special" SPF 70 or 80 or 90 or 100.

Have you found a difference between 50+ spf and 100 spf? I honestly buy whatever the top spf is at the place I'm at the moment in the brand I like, but I can tell no difference in the spray on sun screen between 50 and 100. We do use good dermatologist stuff for our faces so that's a bit different... Just curious about this and wondering if I'm the only one? I CAN tell a difference between 30ish and 50ish though...
I can't say we notice a difference but we figure there's no harm! Go big or go home right?

Same here, I've got 14 large colorful tattoos that the sun hits so I'm always applying and reapplying the sunscreen.

But if I forget to reapply, it's a guarantee burn for me.

Sunscreen is a sticky wicket because like a PP mentioned people automatically assume that if the number is higher, it is better. Well, SPF math is weird. Most sunscreens with an SPF of 15 or higher do an excellent job of protecting against UVB - the burn causing ray (UVA - cancer causing ray) Sun Protection Factor (SPF) is the sunscreen's ability to prevent UVB from damaging the skin. If it takes 20 minutes for your unprotected skin to start turning red, using SPF 15 sunscreen, in theory, prevents reddening 15 times longer — about five hours. Like I said - in theory...there's interfering factors like application, type (spray, cream), etc.

SPF 15 filters out approximately 93 percent of all incoming UVB rays. SPF 30 keeps out 97 percent and SPF 50 keeps out 98 percent. So, it isn't double. Using anything higher than 50 won't give you more protection, just cost more money. However, while they may seem like negligible differences, you are light-sensitive, or have a history of skin cancer, those extra percentages could make a difference. No sunscreen is 100% blocking and regardless of strength, should not be expected to stay effective longer than two hours without reapplication. Reddening of the skin is a reaction to UVB rays alone and tells you very little about UVA damage you may be getting. Plenty of damage can be done without the red flag of sunburn being raised. People forget that. They think, I'm not burnt - YAY, no damage.

So, the BEST advice is to make sure your sunscreen is broadspectrum -- says it blocks UVA & UVB and for FL, water-resistant, sports type are less likely to sweat off, but still need reapplied. Don't believe the label that says lasts 12 hours! Bull Hockey!

Sunscreen is a sticky wicket because like a PP mentioned people automatically assume that if the number is higher, it is better. Well, SPF math is weird. Most sunscreens with an SPF of 15 or higher do an excellent job of protecting against UVB - the burn causing ray (UVA - cancer causing ray) Sun Protection Factor (SPF) is the sunscreen's ability to prevent UVB from damaging the skin. If it takes 20 minutes for your unprotected skin to start turning red, using SPF 15 sunscreen, in theory, prevents reddening 15 times longer — about five hours. Like I said - in theory...there's interfering factors like application, type (spray, cream), etc.

SPF 15 filters out approximately 93 percent of all incoming UVB rays. SPF 30 keeps out 97 percent and SPF 50 keeps out 98 percent. So, it isn't double. Using anything higher than 50 won't give you more protection, just cost more money. However, while they may seem like negligible differences, you are light-sensitive, or have a history of skin cancer, those extra percentages could make a difference. No sunscreen is 100% blocking and regardless of strength, should not be expected to stay effective longer than two hours without reapplication. Reddening of the skin is a reaction to UVB rays alone and tells you very little about UVA damage you may be getting. Plenty of damage can be done without the red flag of sunburn being raised. People forget that. They think, I'm not burnt - YAY, no damage.

So, the BEST advice is to make sure your sunscreen is broadspectrum -- says it blocks UVA & UVB and for FL, water-resistant, sports type are less likely to sweat off, but still need reapplied. Don't believe the label that says lasts 12 hours! Bull Hockey!

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter