What do you tip the people who service room

dan-tot

Mouseketeer
We will be staying at the Poly for the first time and I was wondering what you tip the people cleaning your room? It has been along time,1983, since we stayed at the A-Frame.

Dan-tot

Yup, $2/person in room per day sounds about right. If they do great, leave more. If not, leave less.

Like anybody I tip, I do it based on service received. The first day, I tip higher, like $5-10, then subsequent days get tipped based on the previous days service.

Like anybody I tip, I do it based on service received. The first day, I tip higher, like $5-10, then subsequent days get tipped based on the previous days service.

This isn't really tipping based on service. Well, i guess it kimd of is...are tipping one person based on someone else's service.

It's very difficult to tip housekeeping based on the service they perform, because you generally leave the tip before they come...and you never know who is coming. Sometimes the same person comes back the next day, sometimes not.

Unless you determine who cleaned your room and then go hunt that person down, you can't be sure you're tipping based on service.

$0

The cost of a clean room is built into the room rate.

Tipping will not get you a cleaner room or better service; isn't that the point of a tip?

Per Disney's policy manual housekeeping is not a tipped postion.

Housekeepers are paid a higher hourly wage than other CMs such as those working in the parks.

$0

Tipping will not get you a cleaner room or better service; isn't that the point of a tip?

Housekeepers are paid a higher hourly wage than other CMs such as those working in the parks.

Agreed

We normally tip $1 per person per day. More if we have left more trash as in once we have been on a big shopping trip and have all those bags and shoe boxes etc.

At the end of the trip we normally add more with spare change though as we have been going back year on year we keep the change and use notes (we are from the UK so obvs we can't change the coins back in to £) Again if we have a lot of trash and clothes that we are throwing out we tip more.

My only problem is the it can be different people doing the room each day so tipping more or less depending on previous days service to me would feel wrong. I am not getting at you mxfourlife262 thats just something I have observed over my last few trips. We have had some great service one day and not so great the following.

$0

I forgot to mention:

In the Tipping guide Disney hands out to foreign guests who might be unfamiliar with the American custom of tipping; Housekeeping in not a tipped position.

I know some are adamant that Disney housekeeping isn't suppose to be tipped but we choose to tip regardless. Just as we tip all housekeepers, no matter where we stay....which is the norm.

We tip $1-$2 per person, per day. We tip daily.

$0

agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are DVC. I will tip $2 per person on our Trash/Towel day

We don't usually tip because we are DVC. Housekeeping is covered in your annual dues.

However, if we have a particularly wonderful housekeeper, we tip $20 for the week.

This isn't really tipping based on service. Well, i guess it kimd of is...are tipping one person based on someone else's service.

It's very difficult to tip housekeeping based on the service they perform, because you generally leave the tip before they come...and you never know who is coming. Sometimes the same person comes back the next day, sometimes not.

Unless you determine who cleaned your room and then go hunt that person down, you can't be sure you're tipping based on service.

It's as close as I can get based on how Disney rotates their mousekeeping staff. Besides, I tip based on a standard level of service/cleanliness that I expect the staff to adhere to, I makes no matter to me who does it or who gets the tip, just that it's done properly everytime. Maybe the person who got the lower tip will say something to the previous person and that person will pay more attention next time. I know it sounds rude but it's my money.

We used to tip $5.day but then as we noticed the staff changing daily it did not seem rewarding the right person. Often times when we tipped the service that day was worse than the day before (most likely different staff) so it was kind of counter intuitive. Then we thought about how we do not generally tip at other hotels so why do so here. I was an road warrior for many years and never tipped and did not notice any difference in service so not sure why it would matter at WDW.

It's as close as I can get based on how Disney rotates their mousekeeping staff. Besides, I tip based on a standard level of service/cleanliness that I expect the staff to adhere to, I makes no matter to me who does it or who gets the tip, just that it's done properly everytime. Maybe the person who got the lower tip will say something to the previous person and that person will pay more attention next time. I know it sounds rude but it's my money.
I don't think it sound rude! Sorry if I gave that impression. You just aren't tipping based on service.

Kind of like tipping your waitress low because yesterday's waitress didn't do a good job, KWIM?

It would be even better if we COULD tip based on service, IMO.

But I do believe that generally, you get what you pay for.

I also think the housekeepers deserve those tips. They have really hard jobs, they get treated like crap by guests and staff alike, they don't make much...and I really appreciate coming back to a nice, clean room. :)

I am related to someone who doesn't tip housekeepers. And he wouldn't tip waitresses, either, if it weren't a public thing where people insulted him and/or tipped for him. He is, in his father's own words, "a cheap *******."

Guy has millions, doesn't want to tip. Very proud of his Not Tipping position, too.

I think he is flawed, but everyone is. I don't hate him for it.

And I don't hold your (much better, IMO) stand against you. :)

Everybody brings something to the party.

We tip $2.00/person each day. We will also leave more money on our check out day if we have left over change (quarters and $1.00 bills) :goodvibes

It looks to me like the person doing your room might not be the next one doing
the job. I have seen responses on this blog that say the housekeepers do Disney things above and beyond cleaning up. They get min wage an in Orlando it is about 8 dollars an hour. ?????????
Thanks for the insight.

Dan-tot

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter