What do you think?

Maleficent909TL

Weirdo band geeks rule!
I have wanted to be an author for years, and I've currently started writing a book of my own, the first out of five. The only thing is, a lot of people have no faith in younger people because they won't have enough "experience". What do you all think? Personally, I think that if you've read enough good books, particularly in the genre you want to write in (fantasy), that should qualify because you know good work. Like I said, I just would like some other people's opinions. :confused3

Christopher Paolini was 15 when he started writing Eragon, and look where he is now! Go for it, but if you don't get published right away, don't let it get you down. You might try entering youth writing contests or submitting short stories or something, just to get some solid "experience" under your belt (not b/c you necessarily need it, but b/c it would probably make a better impression on publishers...to be able to say you've been published before). Just a thought. I really enjoy writing, too, and have thought it would be really fun to be a fiction - specifically fantasy - writer. So far, though, I haven't had time or a good plot idea. :rolleyes: Best of luck to you!

Another young author was the 14 year old who wrote "The Prophesy of the Stone"
Also, no one has to know that your young.....you dont have to specify your age when you submit a manuscript to a publishing company ;-)

(btw, I've also tried my hand at writing a novel, but it didn't turn out to well = P)

OMG, I think I just found my soul mate (sorry for the drama)! I'm actually writing a novel too! I am also an aspiring author, and have been writing books for as long as I can remember. But they were never really that good. But now I have one that I've been working on for about 2 years. I was like, "okay, this one's going to be no good," but then I had my dad, a former author, read a few chapters, and he turned to me and told me I had to get this published. I thought he was kidding, but I guess he wasn't! Every chapter was way too short, so I added about 8 pages onto every one (25 chapters) which is why it's taking so long! But I ended up completely re-doing a lot of the book to make it better. So the point of this is, it doesn't matter how old you are, anyone can write a good book. I totally can't wait to finish so I can go through some editors and take my long journey to an end. Sorry that was so long, I just felt I could relate. Good luck! :cheer2:

I've written about a page of my own book. (I'm stuck at this one spot). Personally, one of the things on my to do list before I die is get a book published. I say go for it. Sure you will be critiqued by people, saying the same things you said, but there are many great books written by young people. I think the author of the outsiders was 16.

Thanks! The only thing is, I don't really have anyone to ask about for advice, if I get stuck (which is why I've had to quit a few books!), because when I tell people that I'm writing a book, they're like "Sure, whatever." I have found a website where you go to for help when you're stuck, so I'll have help with that. I'm still learning about the finding an agent thing, and getting your book published. I can't wait till I finish the first book; I'll have some people (like my English teacher) read it and see what they think.

Maleficent909TL said:
Thanks! The only thing is, I don't really have anyone to ask about for advice, if I get stuck (which is why I've had to quit a few books!), because when I tell people that I'm writing a book, they're like "Sure, whatever." I have found a website where you go to for help when you're stuck, so I'll have help with that. I'm still learning about the finding an agent thing, and getting your book published. I can't wait till I finish the first book; I'll have some people (like my English teacher) read it and see what they think.
I'll shock a few people once I'm done with mine. I think mine will be good. It's sort of like an adult version of Artemus Fowl. Sort of.

Mine is just like a new spin on the fantasy/war/love story rolled into one. I'm a sucker for the classics. But I'm not copying people - I hate it when authors do that. Christopher Paolini, one of my favorites, put his own personal spin on fantasy. It's hard sometimes, because each version of fantasy has be written many times, but I think mine will really be original; I don't want it to seem like I'm leaning on an author. That's why I think I'll have my English teacher read it, because he'll be able to tell me if it's good, or if I need to totally re-write it.

If you love it, and you're good at it, go for it. You seem to know what you're writing about pretty well, so go for it. Even if you don't get published right off the bat, don't give up. Someone out there will read it, and like it and publish it for you. and once it is, you can give an autographed copy to all of your dis friends who knew you before you were famous. ;) ;)

But seriously, go for it, and good luck.

Just remember....

No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No suprise in the writer, no suprise in the reader.

I love that quote.

wow...i never realized how many other writers are on here :rotfl:

im also an aspiring writer. my brother and i have a original anime story that we've started and it's actually quite good if i do say so myself. it's going to take a lot more work getting it started than it would to publish a book, specifically on my part because im the writer. i have to write episode summaries in detail..><.

i also have an orignal young adult story idea. one of those..continous book series. i think its cute so maybe, just maybe. i do a lot of original shows for the stage too that incopperate music, dance and acting.

i think everyone on here needs to shoot for the stars. age means nothing if you know what youre doing. good luck everyone! :goodvibes

MuNkY said:
Just remember....

No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No suprise in the writer, no suprise in the reader.

I love that quote.
It is true. I've written plays for my school, and one was preformed. I've writen short stories and a very short book (70 something pages). I've also writen alot of poetry, and I've made people cry. I can honestly say, that is true.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter