• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you think about fanny packs?

Do I think fanny packs look a little dorky? Yeah, sort of.

Would that stop me from wearing one? No, absolutely not!

I've gone the fanny pack route once or twice but found that I prefer a backpack. I say wear whatever works for you and who cares what anyone else thinks.

I do not own a fanny pack but I also do not think there is anything wrong with them. I prefer to have no bag at all so wear cargo shorts or use my DH as a sherpa for our park days. I say, wear what you'd like and don't worry about what strangers think about you.

My dad rocks one in WDW though! He just bought a new one last year and was complaining about how hard it was to find one that he liked since they are not as popular now as the last time he bought one (which was probably in the 1980's :rotfl:)

I am curious how many of you still wear a fanny pack.... My family has told me that they are soooooo out-dated and I should get a new bag. I like my fanny pack because my hands are free and I can't set it down and forget it (which I have done with purses in previous years!). I have read other threads about which bag style is the best, but still think the fanny pack is the way to go.

BTW - I am "older":hippie: and really don't care what other people think about me and the way I dress/look!!

I don't like them. They are just not 'me'. But I have never been bothered or affected by anyone else wearing them. If it works for you, go for it.

I personally wouldn't wear them but I can dig up a picture of me when I was 13 with one on! :rotfl: My opinion of my bag style aside, I don't care if other people wear fanny packs. I don't know why everyone gets all worked up about them. They are just bags. If you like it wear it. If you don't, don't.

Even if I did like fanny packs, I don't think my dslr would fit and/or look of with a huge lens extruding from my hip height bag. So, the size of a fanny pack is not enough for me.

BTW - I am "older":hippie: and really don't care what other people think about me and the way I dress/look!!

I use a fanny pack. It is a small but roomy one. I never care what people think ... I like to travel fairly light. DH does wear cargo shorts but I don't want to weigh him down! I need my kleenex and hand cream.

I also wear a coat when it is cold and real shoes ... ok ... I am making fun of the young people I saw freezing in tank tops and flip flops during a very cold Feb visit to WDW. (I also see them at sporting venues and other theme parks freezing too) ... so I figure if I give anyone a laugh wearing my fanny pack (really a belly pack on me) -- go ahead ... I am laughing at you too! ::yes::

Could someone please, rationally, explain to me what is wrong with fanny packs. They are simply a small zippered bag that straps around one's waist for easy access and hand and pocket free walking.

It doesn't look any dumber than paying hundreds of dollars for some designer labeled, scrotum looking, spaghetti stringed tiny little backpack that needs to be removed every time you want to sit back in your seat.

Social fashion dictation is one of my many pet peeves. It is amazing to me that so many people listen to some individual or grouping of holier then thou, obnoxious twits tell them what to wear and when to wear it. Talk about being cattle led to slaughter. Mooo!

I only use my "fanny" pack (funny it's called that because it never gets anywhere near there) for touring mostly WDW. It is handy, easily slides out of the way, carries all of my important stuff, (money, credit cards, tickets) with a whole lot less concern about possible pickpockets or general theft. So everyone can go ahead and snidely laugh at me for using a Fanny Pack because no ones opinion other than my own matters for this.

Hey! :( don't pick on my Target spaghetti stringed backpack!! LOL!! I'm not a slave to designers either....10.99 I think it was...but I'd rather my little backpack than a lump on my waist....I'm having enough of a time getting rid of muffin top iwithout drawing more attention to it. :rotfl2:

I rather look funny wearing my fanny pack than lose important things like my wallet.Between my wallet,cell phone,keys,park tickets etc..that's a lot of things to carry around,then you add to it riding the rides where you have to hold on and get up and sit down constantly,there's a chance you might lose something.A fanny pack just gives you a feeling of freedom and safety since your hands are free and you know all your possesions are in there safe.I still constantly check the zipper to make sure it's closed.It can't be a good feeling to lose your wallet or keys in the middle of a trip,especially if you need your keys to start your car to get back home or even the hotel.

Could someone please, rationally, explain to me what is wrong with fanny packs. They are simply a small zippered bag that straps around one's waist for easy access and hand and pocket free walking.

It doesn't look any dumber than paying hundreds of dollars for some designer labeled, scrotum looking, spaghetti stringed tiny little backpack that needs to be removed every time you want to sit back in your seat.

Social fashion dictation is one of my many pet peeves. It is amazing to me that so many people listen to some individual or grouping of holier then thou, obnoxious twits tell them what to wear and when to wear it. Talk about being cattle led to slaughter. Mooo!

I only use my "fanny" pack (funny it's called that because it never gets anywhere near there) for touring mostly WDW. It is handy, easily slides out of the way, carries all of my important stuff, (money, credit cards, tickets) with a whole lot less concern about possible pickpockets or general theft. So everyone can go ahead and snidely laugh at me for using a Fanny Pack because no ones opinion other than my own matters for this.

This. ^ Exactly.

Besides, if you're a man, especially, there really is no other answer. My Mickey fanny pack works great and has for 15 years. I have no plans to change anything. The fashion police can kiss my fanny pack. :rotfl2:

....I'm having enough of a time getting rid of muffin top without drawing more attention to it. :rotfl2:

I actually make believe the fanny pack (again in my case a belly pack) gives just the illusion of a muffin top and I really don't have one ... :lmao: I thought that was a very funny reference ... as the discussion continues ... to use ... or not to use ... maybe people object because let's face it -- it does scream tourist and I think we all have some deep seated fears of tourists -- even though in WDW we all are! :confused3

I wear my fanny pack only at WDW but I love it. My family is always asking if I have the tickets or advil or gum or camera or anything else they think I may have put in it. While they won't wear one they always think that I have just a little bit more room to put a couple of things of theirs in it.:rotfl: I can tell you that I do wear the crocs with socks and character t-shirts too! My child is mortified but the last time we went with her kids she was looking just like her MOM:rolleyes1

:thumbsup2 You know what? It's Disney! No one knows you.... if you like the fanny pack ...wear it! Just remember to take it off for the photos! It makes the hips look WAY bigger than they are!! :rotfl: By the way - I like mine too! Have a great time!

I had one last time (a Kipling one) that I liked but you are right, looking at the pictures I'm reconsidering it for the next trip. :lmao:

Hi
I usually wear a belt purse on my Disney trips since it's so convenient and I hate anything on my shoulder for too long. I didn't bring it one time to Disney with me and I was sorry I didn't have it. I had a small cross body bag and by the end of the day, my shoulder was so sore, even with changing shoulders. I ended up buying one in Pop's gift store.

A fanny pack has the buckle centered in the front, and the pouch in the back.

The bag I use has the buckle right next to the pouch.

A fanny pack and waist pack are generally the same thing, are they not? It's just most people have heard of it as a fanny pack, and that's what they call it. I've known it as a fanny pack all my life. And anytime I hear someone mention a fanny pack, they always mean one with a pouch in the front.

I've never seen a bag that has the pouch in the back. I think that's a silly idea. If anyone wants to steal your stuff, they'd be free to do it. And you might end up sitting on it :eek:!

I've heard a lot of people say they are outdated and one person overheard me talking about how I was bringing one with me on an upcoming trip to Islands of Adventure (Just a first time thing, a Disney trip is coming soon:earsgirl:!!!) and told me it sounded ugly. But I don't care. At least it's convienent and I won't be sent to a locker (Universal has bag restrictions).

I'm doing what's convienent for me. That's the best way to roll!

I just want to say that this is my most favorite thread on Disboards. A whole thread dedicated to fanny packs!

Does downtown disney sell fanny packs? and cross over bags?

i bought my first fanny pacK at disney when i was a teenager:) and would like to buy another...(for theme parks )
hoping to find a disney themed one

I mean really, reading your comments made my night. Not because I would ever wear one (eeek! Sorry!!) but because your writing voice is fantastic!!! ::yes::

I only ever wore a fanny pack at WDW...it was convenient and easy...I loved having my hands free. Mine also never got near its namesake as I wore it in the front. It held all my stuff in an organized manner making access easy. Now I use a smallish cross body bag...only because I found one that was comfortable...but I always pack the fanny pack.

Just view it as having to take just the edge off your regular awesomeness/coolnessticity so that others don't become hopelessly jealous and ruin their vacations. It's actually a kind, thoughtful community service to wear fannypacks.

(BTW, LOVE my humongous waist/fanny/muffin pack! It's like carrying around the backseat of my car!)

I don't see anything wrong with wearing a fanny pack. But then again, I don't see anything wrong with wearing sandals with tube socks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter