• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you take into the parks for the day?

mickeymouse1205

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,
When you do full park days, not intending to go back to your hotel. What do you take with you into the parks, in your back packs? I'm talking Dec weather, not planning on water rides.

I'm thinking:
Passes/IDs/money/cc
snacks
refillable drink bottle/canisters
phone/camera/charger
Motrin/Advil/Tylenol, maybe some Valium (just kidding)
Extra sweater/coat for evening
sunglasses
little first aid kit
emergency use rain poncho(s)
Maybe an extra pair of shoes/socks (comfier)
Autograph book and sharpie
A thing of wipes to fast clean and a small bottle of germ-x just in case.

What else am I missing? I think DD an DH will take a break, but me I am going ALL day!!!!! LOL

That is a big backpack!:lmao:

I am a minimalist, tend to bring just a little extra clothing and the camera once I have the passes and cash taken care of.

Generally speaking, being a minimalist pays off in the parks. We invested in better quality windbreaker/slickers (Goretex), which elimate the need for ponchos or an extra sweater or jacket. Wearing layers will really help you, too, so that you won't need to carry more weight in your backpack. If your jacket has lots of pockets, use them for some of the small items (e.g. first aid things, etc.). If you really want to bring that many things with you, a locker might be a good idea. Then you don't have to carry everything with you all day.

..snack size ziplock to carry our park tickets in, keeps them accounted for and dry and easy access for fastpasses.

Personally beyond a few band aids I would skip the first aid kit, there is always a first aid station if need be, the more you add the heavier the bag.
Likewise the chargers, it is pretty unlikely you will be standing still long enough to charge anything, unless y intend on using the locked charge stations of course.

..snack size ziplock to carry our park tickets in, keeps them accounted for and dry and easy access for fastpasses.

Personally beyond a few band aids I would skip the first aid kit, there is always a first aid station if need be, the more you add the heavier the bag.
Likewise the chargers, it is pretty unlikely you will be standing still long enough to charge anything, unless y intend on using the locked charge stations of course.

I've got a couple of portable battery type chargers. The ones I have use AAs. One is pretty much just a 2 AA version that says "Emergency Charger" and really is. You might get a little bit more out, and it could be useful if you're in a situation where you need to make a call and your battery is almost dead.

I've got one that uses 4 AAs and I use rechargeable AAs. It works pretty well, and I find that a set of freshly charged AAs might allow me to get double the usage. This is only for USB-devices like those using mini-USB or iPhones. For my iPhone, it really works best if I just keep it plugged in and allow it to serve more as a power supply rather than when it needs to be charged. It does however charge slowly. I can carry an extra set of AAs, which means I can spend almost 16 hours playing games in line and I'll still be able to call my wife to find out where she is if we lose each other in the park.

There are also some specialty chargers for iPhones. They tend to be really expensive. Some of them are built into cases (including some for things such as card scanners or barcode readers) where they serve as auxiliary batteries. When you use one of these things if you're less than 100% on the main battery - they typically recharge the main battery while providing main power to the device, then their output is reduced to the point where they register as plugged in but not enough to charge the battery (can provide some supplemental power that reduces the draw on the main battery), and finally shut off and your main battery is on its own.

My brother and I recently went to Disneyland on a 12 hour day trip, taking the bus from downtown LA as transportation, so we had to be really minimalist. What we ended up taking:

Drawstring backpack
Sunglasses
Wristlet with my ID, credit cards, and cash
Baggie of dollar bills and quarters (for the bus)
Keys
Cell phone
Camera
Garbage bags (college student ponchos for Splash Mountain)

We also wore jeans and jackets over short sleeve shirts, and found that was sufficient for the entire day. The backpack could easily fit in the ride pouches, and I barely noticed wearing it. Honestly, that was all we needed all day.

We travel SUPER light.

I wear a small crossbody bag. Either a Vera Bradley or a Baggelini. It has:
my phone
camera
small wallet
a couple Tylenol just in case
It weighs nothing.

That's it.

I see people with gigantic backpacks that look like they're about to summit Everest. Granted, they have kids and kids need stuff, but damn. It looks like it weighs 20 lbs.

We travel super light too...I prefer to skip the lines for the bag check. So most of my stuff fits in my pockets, kids or husbands pockets. Jackets can be tied around the waist, although you probably won't need them during the day, only in evening when it is getting a little cooler out. Today was relatively warm and typical nearly hitting 80 and this evening is in the low 70's. Agree in the first aid, they have them available for any minor stuff. Good luck and have a great trip.

We have our tickets, hotel room keys, ids, gift cards etc, cheapy ponchos, sunglasses, sanitizer and wet ones, autograph book and sharpies, lip balm, advil, a few bandaids and moleskin, and sunscreen... I have a small back pack, and it doesn't bother me to wear it all day.

I generally agree with the PPs that traveling light is very important. You'll be doing a lot of walking (6-8 miles is not uncommon) and by the end of the day feet can be pretty sore. Besides, if you start with all this stuff, where will you put all the souvenirs? :rotfl:

If you really want to bring some of things, I would consider getting a locker. You can store the ponches (if you don't need them), extra jackets, extra shoes, etc. in there. (I would start the day in the comfy shoes!)

Unless you are trying to save money, I would forgo the snacks and splurge and have snacks in the parks! Dole Whip floats, Mickey bars, churros, pretzels, mint juleps, beignets, popcorn, cupcakes, etc. are all very yummy!

The only things I would carry that aren't on your list are:
Tissues - but only if someone has a runny nose
Couple of Paper Towels - never know when you'll need to quickly dry the bench on Pirates (seriously) or any of the rides with water.
Ziploc baggies (gallon and quart) - to put things in just in case it rains.

Have fun!

Another minimalist here...I wear a lanyard with my cloth pouch on the end. Inside it are my AP, ID, credit card and all my Fastpasses. Attached to the end of my pouch, I clip my camera, so I am hands-free. I wear my sunglasses:)

I have my Chap-Stik and my cell phone in my pocket. A sweatshirt around my waist and I am done.

This serves me well even at WDW, where we walk 12-15 miles a day. Being able to go hands-free makes me feel like a kid again - no purse, no diaper bag, no backpack, nada! Skipping down Main Street is easier this way:cool1:

In the winter - I will add a pair of cheapie gloves to keep in the pouch of my sweatshirt until the sun goes down. Then, I put on the gloves and take off the sunglasses (which go in the pouch of the sweatshirt!)

It helps that my DD is old enough to carry her own stuff:thumbsup2

Whatever you do, don't take masking tape into the park. My wife had a roll in her backpack, bc she saw a an idea online to label the inside of your kids clothes with a piece of masking tape with their name on it in case they got lost. For some reason she just left the tape in her backpack.

We had two security guards asking why we felt it was necessary to take a roll of tape into the parks. They eluded that the tape could be used to attach bad things to benches in the park. We offered to just toss it in the garbage, but they eventually let us in with it after my wife showed the inside of the kids shirts labeled with it. Although that was one of the few times I actually saw armed security people near the bag check area, perhaps there was a VIP in the park that day.

Whatever you do, don't take masking tape into the park. My wife had a roll in her backpack, bc she saw a an idea online to label the inside of your kids clothes with a piece of masking tape with their name on it in case they got lost. For some reason she just left the tape in her backpack.

We had two security guards asking why we felt it was necessary to take a roll of tape into the parks. They eluded that the tape could be used to attach bad things to benches in the park. We offered to just toss it in the garbage, but they eventually let us in with it after my wife showed the inside of the kids shirts labeled with it. Although that was one of the few times I actually saw armed security people near the bag check area, perhaps there was a VIP in the park that day.

They have armed security? Since when?

I thought that Anaheim Police has a permanent presence (like how some private shopping malls have police substations) but that they didn't employ their own private armed security.

Wasn't that a joke of Beverly Hills Cop III? That the cop visited some theme park and commented to the security that their concealed weapons were poorly concealed.

They have armed security? Since when?

I thought that Anaheim Police has a permanent presence (like how some private shopping malls have police substations) but that they didn't employ their own private armed security.

Wasn't that a joke of Beverly Hills Cop III? That the cop visited some theme park and commented to the security that their concealed weapons were poorly concealed.

Actually I think you are right, I think they were Anaheim Police. Anyways, sorry, didn't mean to digress the thread. We usually bring in water bottles, fruit snacks for the kids, and perhaps a candy bar. The last two times we have gone I brought this bag with me:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HITDUO/ref=wms_ohs_product

The first time we went I put my camera in there and it has a sleeve for your iPad, so I brought that in too. The last time we went we just relied on Photopass and my wife's iPhone for pictures and we filled the bag with snacks. That bag is very handy, you can just swivel the bag on your shoulder down in front of you and you have access to all of the compartments. It is really easy to slip off when getting on rides as well.

Since I am a local to DLR most of my visits are during the day/evening. For a December visit I usually bring;

Light Jacket
Shades
Camera
Passport/ID/Cash/Credit Card/DVC ID

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter