• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you spend for Valentine's Day ?

My DH got me Tulips :) Much cheaper than roses and it shows he knows me well, I'm still mad at self 10 years later I didn't do tulips for our wedding. I'll prob get him a card and some candy or choc strawberries:)

We usually do a card and some candy on Valentine's Day, however we do go for a nice dinner around this time of year. We started dating on February 18th, 1994 and have been inseparable ever since. So, this is actually more of an anniversary for us then our wedding anniversary. It is amazing to think that nearly half my life has been spent with this woman. :)

Printed valentine's day cards for both DS and DD classrooms.
DD is attaching fruit snacks to hers.
DS is attaching tootsie pops to his.

I picked up a box of hershey kisses and hugs for the bus driver.

I donate alot to the kids classrooms throughout the year. Teachers are only getting cards.

For DH and the kids I picked up $1 tubes of candy with heart tops.

Valentine's day is also our anniversary. We all will be going out to eat at a local buffet.

After looking at how much we spent eating out last year, we decided that we are only going to eat out once per month this year. We picked the 2nd thursday of the month. So glad it happened to fall on the correct day! :rotfl:

Hi:
After 19 years of marriage, we tend to do a card. My husband surprises me with little gifts throughout the year so I don't make a big deal about Valentine's Day. We'll go out to eat alone another day as we both hate lines. I'll be making my husband's favorite supper and cookies. I don't normally allow the kids sugary breakfast cereals or donuts but on Valentine's day they get donuts.

Walmart had 50% off Valentine merchandise yesterday so I picked up the cutest metal valentine mail box for my 7 year old. It is filled with a cupcake kit that we'll make together.

To me, Valentine's is about expressing your love, not necessarily gifts. I usually handmake a card and give a little gift of candy to my son.

However, this year is my first Valentine's with my sweetheart (we started dating last year right after Valentine's day). I have been leaving him little gifts of candy on his doorstep every morning since February 1 with silly sayings like 'I chews you' with gum, 'I'm nuts about you' with a bag of nuts. I haven't spent more than about $20 or so.

I told him not to spend a lot on me but I just received a dozen long stemmed red roses at work and I think he might be proposing tomorrow!! :love:- He's been hinting quite heavily that he has a very important question for me (and we have discussed getting married lately) so this will be an expensive holiday for him. We are staying in with the kids for dinner and will be making heart shaped pizza.

I bought each kid a Disney shirt and a Reese's candy and my hubby a card and candy. We just splurged on ourselves last month so decided that would be our gifts. Plus we are going out for dinner on.Friday.

I spent $5 apiece on a small box of candy for each of the kids so $25, $2.25 for valentines for youngest DS's classroom (he wanted the candy ones), $10 for a box of candy for DH and $7 for a dozen cupcakes for dessert tomorrow because I didn't want to bake them and wanted a little treat for the kids. I doubt if Dh is getting me anything, if he does he won't spend much. I used to get the kids mylar balloons and they liked that tradition, but they've really outgrown them now.

I admit, I'm a sap and I do like celebrating a little bit. I don't doubt that DH loves me, but he isn't one for gifts or gestures so I like having a day where he's supposed to do something, even if it's just candy or grocery store flowers (which I actually love).

Well, since this is the budget board, maybe someone will appreciate our way of celebrating Valentine's Day.
I am a penny pincher and always have cringed at how much people spend on this holiday.
Years ago, my family, upon my suggestion, began celebrating it the day after Valentine's Day.
We all go out and buy what we want for half price and save a ton of money!
Who cares what day you celebrate it?
I for one, think we should show each other that special love everyday of our lives, but if we are going to make a day for it, I choose Feb 15 th when I can get everything half off!!!! :yay:

We don't do alot here. I don't give any kind of gifts or candy to my kids. They exchange valentines at school (at least the 2 younger ones do) and they will get candy from there. I got DH a card (hey I splurged and got a $3 card instead of a 99cent one!) and I may make him a pecan pie which is his favorite and only made for special occasions. I'll be happy if he at least picks me up a card or gets me something small.

I always have to warn my kids every year that there will be a lot of kids getting huge balloons/stuffed animals delivered to school and they won't be getting anything. Know that I still love them, but I refuse to spend money on that stuff for valentines day. I think they are used to it by now.

Kids- Valentine cards and treats for school, about $8... Gifts to them from me, about $12 total. (Little bags filled with a card, some candy & little trinkets.)

DH and I spend about $20 on each other. Plus we'll spend around $50 going out to dinner this weekend.

So in total for all.... $100-$125. :flower3:

I just do card and candy for DH and the kids. I'll make a nice dinner and maybe we'll see a movie. Very low key around here :)

We don't do alot here. I don't give any kind of gifts or candy to my kids. They exchange valentines at school (at least the 2 younger ones do) and they will get candy from there. I got DH a card (hey I splurged and got a $3 card instead of a 99cent one!) and I may make him a pecan pie which is his favorite and only made for special occasions. I'll be happy if he at least picks me up a card or gets me something small.

I always have to warn my kids every year that there will be a lot of kids getting huge balloons/stuffed animals delivered to school and they won't be getting anything. Know that I still love them, but I refuse to spend money on that stuff for valentines day. I think they are used to it by now.

Our schools have rules against that thankfully.

Not a big fan of the day here...

i usually do something to make my kids feel special. I typically spend under $20/each for a small stuffed animal/toy etc and some candy treats...This year DS is getting a minecraft t-shirt and some chocolates, other DS is getting a Skylander and some chocolates and DD is getting a small stuffed dog and some chocolates...

I'll also be volunteering in their classrooms for a few hours tomorrow for their parties. Making heart shaped pizzas and pink cupcakes. :)

In general, I'd rather show them I love them, than buy gifts because the jewelry/greeting card industry says I should....

I love all holidays. I made red velvet cupcakes yesterday from scratch. DH and I will go out to dinner and I am getting him some really yummy chocolates and a card. Estimate around $50-$75.

I'm a big proponent of the mid/end of winter holidays (we may or may not have a leprechaun visit our house the week before St. Patrick's Day;)). Winter in WNY can be so dreary. That being said, I'm not a fan of spending lots of money on trinket crap and candy.

My kids this year are each getting a new Crest Spinbrush, they were on clearance at Wal Mart after Christmas for $1.50 each with toothpaste. One Direction for the girls and Transformers for my son. They are each also getting a card, .50 each at Dollar General and a king sized candy bar as they do not like the candy in those heart boxes , on sale with a coupon they were free. I think I spent about $10 on candy for their classes and also their dance classes. We made all of our school exchange valentines this year because my craft room is getting out of control and I wanted to pare down a little. I usually make them heart shaped pancakes and they drink their oj from champagne flutes for breakfast and I reuse decorations or make new ones so the table is festive.

My husband and I usually eat a nice dinner together after the kids go to bed. He is a Dairy farmer and doesn't get out of the barn until 7:30. With 3 kids running in all directions having a quiet meal just the 2 of us is luxury enough. So all in all we spent less than $20 this year, which is pretty typical.

DH and I have never given anything expensive or extravagant for Valentines. Some years I will get flowers, other years we are just to dang busy and he didn't get around to flowers and it doesn't bother me.

I usually get the kids some chocolate from See's. I got them each a little bag of chocolate hearts this year, and a very small box for DH.

I'm taking rice krispies into DS class, and the twins are in 5th grade this year, last school party for them, so I'm taking a cooler full of sodas for both 5th grade classes. :thumbsup2

That's it for us. I will fix dinner, then we will watch Idol...that's my kind of valentines. :goodvibes Home with the fam.

julie, be sure to let us know what happens!!

dh and i have been together 6 years and married for 2.5. this year we are slipping off to a lovely b&b in Newport RI ($199/nite) with a fireplace, jacuzzi, lovely room. Gas will be about $40 r/t. I am taking a picnic so we don't have to leave the room including a bottle of bubbly $50ish....that includes choc covered strawberries to leave on the pillows instead of their mints.

we will spend the rest of the weekend in newport, albeit at a cheaper motel $150 for 2 nites. I expect we'll spend somewhere between $500-600 for the weekend...but so worth it. :)

i also plan to bake him his favorite cookies and give him a gift card to his favorite restaurant. he sent me 2 dozen red roses. they are beautiful and so is he. :)

It's steak and lobster at home for us. We don't really celebrate. It was never important to us. The only reason we do special dinner is because the steak and lobster are on sale this week lol. I did buy each of our kids a small chocolate for the big day though.

Dh and I will exchange cards. I held over two movies and a few small toys.... Transformers and cars... From Christmas when I realized I had gone overboard on the gifts. The boys' teachers will get a gift card to a local ice cream store and a bouquet of flowers.

To me, Valentine's is about expressing your love, not necessarily gifts. I usually handmake a card and give a little gift of candy to my son.

However, this year is my first Valentine's with my sweetheart (we started dating last year right after Valentine's day). I have been leaving him little gifts of candy on his doorstep every morning since February 1 with silly sayings like 'I chews you' with gum, 'I'm nuts about you' with a bag of nuts. I haven't spent more than about $20 or so.

I told him not to spend a lot on me but I just received a dozen long stemmed red roses at work and I think he might be proposing tomorrow!! :love:- He's been hinting quite heavily that he has a very important question for me (and we have discussed getting married lately) so this will be an expensive holiday for him. We are staying in with the kids for dinner and will be making heart shaped pizza.

report back tomorrow, what a cliffhanger!

i usually spend around $25 to pick my mother up a treat, as a kid i always got a card and candy, sometimes little gifts like a nice bathrobe.

this year i spent like $25 on my valentine and will make his card. i have never spent more than $50 or so on the day with one of my boyfriends. i wanted to stay home and cook but the boyfriend wants to go out, since its his treat i wont argue. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter