What do you serve when you have a "home party" ?

maslex

DIS Veteran
I've had a bazillion home parties over the years and usually serve the same old stuff.

chips/dip
fruit tray
veggie tray
spinach dip
cheese/crackers/pepperoni
something sweet

Sometimes I would serve all of this at one time other times maybe just one or two of them.

I'm having a Thirty-One bag party the beginning of the next month and I'm looking to serve something different.

Any suggestions?

I always have a Christmas gift exchange party in early December for my sisters, mom, and a bunch of my friends.

I serve appetizers and desserts, and beer, wine, soda and coffee/tea.

Appetizers: I go to BJs and get their frozen box, so I start off with variety. I always include
- pigs in blankets,
- spinach dip,
- cheese dip (incredibly easy: layer a pack of cream cheese, salsa, then cheddar cheese in Corning ware. Microwave until the cheddare melts. Serve with sturdy crackers, like Triscuits.)
- sometimes I do meatballs in a sauce-- look online for recipes that combine ketchup and grape jelly, believe it or not.
and whatever else I'm in the mood for.

Desserts:
- chcolate pudding pie, either bought or made
- brownies
- cookies
- people tend to ask what they can bring, and I always say "Dessert." That way, I can get by with minimal planning here.

Our standbys for an appetizer-type party :
Hot
- Fried meatballs
- spinach and artichoke dip
- Mashed potato bar (a few different cheeses, sour cream, scallions, bacon, and brown gravy as toppings)
- Usually one frozen app from Trader Joe's-- aracini, mac & cheese balls, pigs in a blanket, etc.

Cold
- Tortilla chips & guac
- Some other chips & french onion dip
- veggies & ranch dip

Dessert-- people usually do not eat much dessert here. Too full from the drinks & appetizers!
- Cannoli dip with graham cracker sticks

I do the same old stuff too. Buffalo chicken dip, spinach dip, clam dip, chili dip, maybe quac.

Taco dip
Buffalo Chicken dip
Bacon cheddar ranch pinwheels (using cresent rolls)
chili and jelly meatballs

I like to have soup parties. I just fill crock pots with a few varieties - usually a chowder, a chili, something creamy (usually squash or mushroom), and a vegetable soup. I accompany with bread, crackers, cheese, fruit, and some cookies and brownies.

Having a small house party today actually. We make it potlucks with out social group, but I have some standard things I serve or bring depending of if we are hosting or not.

Todays we are serving Burgers, Grilled sausages. Then I made some fancy popsicle for the kids. Other people are bringing standard fruit/veggies/cheese/chips/dip/ dessert. One person is bringing chili with cornbread.

We have done chili dogs in the past that have gone over well. For apetizers I usually do a chutney baked brie or toasted raviolis. I have also done sloppy joes in little phyllo cups topped with cheese that went over well.

I also usually serve a cocktail of some sort. Today's is seafoam sangria.

Do you mean just for "sales" parties like 31 ? For these I keep it very simple and always seasonal.
fall-
pumpkin muffins, apple slices and hot apple cider

winter-
cookies and hot chocolate

spring- simple light cake and fruit

Summer- ice cream sundae bar, or water melon and simple cookes

Just light refreshments

Do you mean just for "sales" parties like 31 ? For these I keep it very simple and always seasonal.
fall-

winter-

Just light refreshments

This is exactly what I was going to suggest! Since your party is at the beginning of November, I would prepare items w/ a cozy, fall theme.

Pecan Pie and/or Pumpkin Pie Tartlets

Mini Apple Cider Doughnuts

Apple Slices w/ Caramel Dip

Cheddar cheese (or some other fall-ish colored cheese) w/ nice wheat crackers

Small shot-glass servings of a Butternut Squash Soup - maybe even some Smoked Turkey Sliders w/ a Cranberry Relish to go w/ the soup (if you wanted some heavier fare)

Hot Apple Cider & Pumpkin Spice Coffee

For your veggie & fruit trays, hollow out the center of 2 smaller pumpkins & put your dips in the pumpkins. (You could either line the pumpkins w/ clear plastic wrap or even set smaller bowls down inside the pumpkins.)

For November, I also like the idea of a "Soup Party" that a PP suggested!

I'm the same way - I serve the same items at most cocktail parties. I used to change up the menu until several friends told me that they look forward to eating certain dishes that I'm known to make, haha now I'm stuck making them every time :lmao:

The standbys for us:
shrimp platter with JUMBO size shrimp and a bit of extra sriracha mixed into the cocktail sauce
devilled eggs (everyone always says they love them and never make them)
baked goat cheese with warm tomato relish, and a sliced baguette
crockpot meatballs with "secret sauce" (don't tell, it's salsa and grape jelly!)
baked "puffy things" - those little frozen sausage puffs, oriental party mix
veggie platter
fruit platter
baked bars platter - ok I cheat and run out to Costco or to our local bakery and get a bunch of different squares, and cut them up small so all the calories leak out and everyone can try all the different kinds

Once in a while I will go crazy and add smoked salmon & cream cheese on mini bagels or mini-pitas. But they are my nemesis so I have to really watch out that I don't wind up scarfing down half of them myself.

Depends on the party. I did a roast beef/turkey/cheese tray - added little rolls and different condiments.

Then made a pasta salad, regular salad and several different desserts.

I've done mini tacos - cooking up ground beef or chicken, adding various vegs so everyone can choose what they want. I did use small chafing dishes for the meat to keep it warm. Along with chips/salsa and a couple of different desserts.

Both of those worked well for me and weren't difficult to do.

I usually do the same appetizers:

fruit platter
vegi tray
spinach dip & crackers
chips & dip
meatballs & cocktail sausages (cooked in a crockpot, just add a bottle of BBQ sauce)

I'll make a dessert or two like brownies or cookies

I almost always make chocolate eclair dessert (it's a favorite everywhere I take it)

fall-

winter-

Just light refreshments

Yes, I'm having a 31 party at the beginning of November. I'm just looking for different ideas instead of my old standbys. I usually go way overboard with making WAY too much stuff for the amount of people that actually show up so I'm thinking of scaling it way down this time.

I never thought of doing "seasonal" foods. Great idea. The party will be at 1:00, so I think everyone will have had lunch by then so I don't want anything too heavy but would also want something *just in case* someone hasn't eaten yet.

I like the idea of the mini muffins/donuts. And I think someone mentioned a bread (pumpkin bread, apple bread, banana bread etc)

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. Keep them coming!!!

Yes, I'm having a 31 party at the beginning of November. I'm just looking for different ideas instead of my old standbys. I usually go way overboard with making WAY too much stuff for the amount of people that actually show up so I'm thinking of scaling it way down this time.

I never thought of doing "seasonal" foods. Great idea. The party will be at 1:00, so I think everyone will have had lunch by then so I don't want anything too heavy but would also want something *just in case* someone hasn't eaten yet.

I like the idea of the mini muffins/donuts. And I think someone mentioned a bread (pumpkin bread, apple bread, banana bread etc)

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. Keep them coming!!!

How about mini quiches with a salad bar?

Fall is a great time for soups... chili, white chili, chicken noodle, pumpkin soup, asparagus soup... and toppings... yummy!

Or a baked potato bar with lots of toppings.

Or you can always do a Mexican buffet - tacos, nachos, enchiladas, quesadillas.

I like to do something like that rather than mess with a bunch of appetizers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter