What do you prefer to prevent blisters?

Not to sound dumb...but I've never heard about either one of these.

Could someone expand on this? Last time we were at WDW, I had to be pushed around in a wheelchair for last 2 days...I had a blister that was 3 in in diamter on my right foot.....horrendously painful.

We're going again in June...and I'm looking for anyhthing to help me prevent a recurrence...

km :cool1:

I swear by Bodyglide. I have used it my last two trips to WDW and also when we went to Las Vegas and with all that walking have never gotten a "hot spot" on my feet. Before that I would usually have a tender spot or two by the end of the second day.

molly2004 said:
Body glide or moleskin? Or something else?

Thanks!

Before I discovered Bodyglide (and my Teva Pretty Rugged leather sandals), I discovered moleskins. There were great.

BUT once I discovered Bodyglide (and my Teva Pretty Rugged leather sandals), I no longer get any blisters at all.

Bodyglide is also great for chafing between your legs.

I'm also a big fan of Blistershield roll on for sandals or chafing and Blistershield powder for those who use socks and sneakers. Works very similar to Bodyglide.

You can get Bodyglide at camping stores like REI and at sporting stores too. You can get Blistershield at sporting good stores.

can I get this moleskin in the local drugstores ??
If so , which section would they likely be found.

TIA

Usually you can find mole skin where they have Dr Schols stuff. Or sometimes I have found it by band aids. You can find it a Wal-marts, Walgreens drug stores and camping stores. Watch out there is padded mole skin which I don't like, but perfer the regular.

Thanks for the tip on bodyglide will have to look for it.

In lieu of BodyGlide, spray deodorant works well for preventing blisters on your feet too. Give them a good spray and then let it dry a bit...(by the way- Runnersgear.com has BodyGlide on sale right now)

disneyred said:
can I get this moleskin in the local drugstores ??
If so , which section would they likely be found.

TIA

We found it at Mark's Work Warehouse.

We also found that spray on anti-perspirant worked great.

Just wanted to add to my experience trying avoid blisters over the years at WDW.

For years I tried coolmax socks and walking sneakers and didn't work. Then I tried the anti-persperant and moleskins. Moleskins helped a lot but I still got blisters sometimes if the moleskin moved. The anti-persperant didn't work for me.

What ended up working best for me was the discovery of Bodyglide and like products AND wearing good walking sandals. Every foot is different, of course, but that's what worked best for me and now I no longer have blisters at all. I haven't used moleskins now for at least 3 - 4 trips. I guess my foot just doesn't like the feel of socks. They cause bunching up and more hot spots and no matter what I tried, I still had blisters.

Trial and error is what's best to find what tips/solutions are best for your feet. Good luck!

I used to get blisters on my toes EVERY time I went to WDW. One time I got blisters on top of blisters. Since I started using bodyglide, NO blisters!!!

I have found the only way to prevent blisters is to wear a really worn in pair of sneakers or sandals. I have a pair of sandals specially dedicated to WDW.

beattyfamily said:
Trial and error is what's best to find what tips/solutions are best for your feet. Good luck!

Exactly.

The key to avoiding blisters is to 1) reduce moisture, 2) reduce friction, and 3) reduce heat (although heat mainly produces moisture in the form of sweat).

Reducing moisture is usually accomplished by wearing something open like sandals, or if wearing walking shoes, socks made with wicking materials. We prefer the Thorlo walking socks for days we wear shoes. Even at home. They're designed to not only wick away moisture but have extra cushioning in the impact areas and 'shear' zones (like the back of the heal and the instep) to absorb the friction you can't completely eliminate with propery fitted shoes.

As a rule, any socks containing cotton are a poor choice. Cotton absorbs moisture, retains it, and any cushioning it had originally tends to compress and go away when wet.

Anti-perspirant is something many people seem to like, but it is circumventing the natural functioning of the feet (ie. they're supposed to sweat), so if swollen feet are an issue for you, beware AP might contribute to that problem.

As for reducing friction, blister shield and body glide would help there. So would socks like the Thorlos. All can help somewhat if you have poorly fitted shoes, but all are in part, solutions to shoes that aren't fitted properly.

Our personal solution is either wear properly fitted walking shoes (New Balance 4E width) with our Thorlos, or as we discovered on our last trip, Crocs with thin 100% acrylic wicking socks. While we find the crocs to be confortable for walking on, they are tight for our Fred Flintstone feet and the socks are mainly to keep the instep from feeling sweaty and rubbing raw.

Good Luck,
Joe

molly2004 said:
Body glide or moleskin? Or something else?

Thanks!
Best foot wear I ever bought - wright socks - you can get other brands of the same kind of sock - basically they are advertised as blister resistant socks... and boy howdie do they work. Used them last trip - hiked and hiked and hiked and no blisters.

http://www.wrightsock.com/

There are all kinds of brands. If a health club or athletic store is around you anywhere they should have some form of anti blister sock. Pro's use them, triatholon, runners, etc use them. Great socks. Kind of expensive but well worth it. They keep your feet dry and cool.

I feel that if you have a good pair of wellbroken athletic shoes (I like New Balance) and inbetween socks (not too thin, not too thick) that you should fare fine. I also prep a couple months in advance by walking 30 minutes a night and/or walk a couple of miles on a treadmill. One time I wore a pair of my favorite sandals and got blisters where the strap hit the top of my foot. I'll never make that mistake again.

Sleepy said:
I have found the only way to prevent blisters is to wear a really worn in pair of sneakers or sandals. I have a pair of sandals specially dedicated to WDW.

I totally agree. I went in October and brought (what I thought was) a pair of broken-in sneakers (my daily workout shoes). Well, before I knew it, I had a terrible blister on the bottom of my little toe - surprising how something so small can hurt so much!

Next time I will bring my oldest, crummiest pair of sneakers, and use bodyglide (plus moleskin as needed). My workout shoes (which I wear several times a week on the treadmill) were not broken in, as I had thought.

I'm so excited to learn about this Bodyglide. I always get blisters between two of my toes and moleskin never worked there.

Do you just apply Bodyglide once in the morning or do you carry it with an reapply throughout the day?

I would like to know how BodyGlide is used also. Any bodyGlide users out there? Thanks for the help.

I rub it on the bottom of my feet and on my inner thighs (for chafing) and I do carry it with me but I only re-applied once or twice it to my thighs 'just in case' cause I can't stand chafing! I never had to re-apply it to my feet.

It's small enough to carry in your backpack or even fannypack.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter