• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you pay your nanny?

jackskellingtonsgirl said:
I am a full time, professional nanny, in Dallas. I am very, very familiar with this market. I have been a nanny for the past 16 years, and many of my friends are nannies.
Wow! I don't want to use bandwidth by quoting this entire post (number 69, on page 5, for anyone looking for it), but what GREAT information! I'm not the OP and don't need a nanny, but if I did, I'd save this post for reference and advice!

Wow! I don't want to use bandwidth by quoting this entire post (number 69, on page 5, for anyone looking for it), but what GREAT information! I'm not the OP and don't need a nanny, but if I did, I'd save this post for reference and advice!

It wasn't wasted on me either... I quickly looked to see where she is located, and sadly it's not my neck of the woods!;)

Thanks for all the valuable comments, especially from those who are or have been former nannies. I especially appreciate the comments from jackskellingtonsgirl as it gives me a reference point that is local.It was exactly the information I was looking for when I originally posted. I think I have gained some insight as to what she is bothering her. Though she ASKED for an hourly rate, it sounds like what she really WANTED was a salaried position of $ 450/week. In my mind when someone asks for an hourly rate, it means that you keep track of the time you are actually there and are paid for the time you are actually working. I also agree that if I let her go early she should be paid for her time, but I also believe that she should not be asking to leave early to go do other things like shooting photos for other people and expect to be paid if we have agreed on a certain schedule. I think I will offer her the $ 450/week without having to log her hours, but that she has to make a commitment coming and leaving at the set hours unless we say we don't need her. If the conversation goes well, I will continue to try keep the lines of communication open so we don't have any other misunderstandings. If not, I will start looking for someone new. Thanks again.:)

I find this ironic that someone frequenting the budget board has enough money to hire a nanny/au pair.

I just had to comment that I do not find this ironic at all. No matter how much money you have you should be able to make budgets and wise decisions with your money.

Interesting thread!

I mostly scanned the thread, but I think this case almost sounds like incompatible personalities between the OP and the nanny. The OP is rigid with the time clock and IMHO, not unreasonably so. This was the original agreement after all. However the nanny seems to want a more flexible position where she can come and go with some leniency and still get paid. I just don't see a fit here on either side.

I'd suggest the OP find a nanny who's willing to work within the guidelines set, and that the nanny find a family who's more willing to put up with minor schedule fluctuations. I just don't see either being happy with the current arrangement, and think parting ways would be mutually beneficial.

I have two part time employees and am personally not a fan of nickle and diming every minute, but I do understand how it can add up over time.

I think I will offer her the $ 450/week without having to log her hours, but that she has to make a commitment coming and leaving at the set hours unless we say we don't need her.

I just spotted this and it seems reasonable. Could be a good compromise!

I've said it before and I will say it again- If I won millions playing powerball I would STILL be on the budget board. Just because you HAVE money doesn't mean you want to spend it unwisely.

We have lucked out with this person and we would do anything to keep her and make her happy. I personally would not get bent out of shape for a half hours worth of pay if this person is good to your kids that is all that matters.

I agree with this wholeheartedly! Hiring someone to care for your children is not the same as hiring a landscaper or interior decorator. It is more than just a business arrangement.

Nanny? Well, I have never used a nanny or babysitter that was paid, so I can't speak from a voice of experience.

However, I would pay her until 6 even if she left at 5:30 once in a while. Does she ever show up early? As long as she doesn't put in for the pay when she shows up early then it will all balance out. Let's say she's due at 12 and she shows up at 11:45 - does she put in for the 15 minutes?

It doesn't sound to me like you have a good relationship with this person. You gave her a gift certificate for $100 - but you didn't say where it was for. Could she spend it any place she wanted to? If she didn't say thank you or at least give you a note, she's not very appreciative either. :cutie:

I've said it before and I will say it again- If I won millions playing powerball I would STILL be on the budget board. Just because you HAVE money doesn't mean you want to spend it unwisely.
:thumbsup2

That is SO true! And if you do win millions playing powerball, and you do spend it unwisely, you will be back on the budget board in no time at all because your money will be gone, lol. :rotfl:

Maybe we should petition to have this board's name changed to "Frugal Living", given that frugal is a positive word?

Admittedly, my first thought was similar to many - 'nanny' and 'budget'? But it's a budget issue for the OP, and that's what matters. She - reasonably - expects full value for the money she pays, and is seeking advice on how to achieve that, from us. Works for me!

On a sort of related note - my employer (large company) pays me for the hours I work. They provide me with the tools to record my hours, and they expect those records to be accurate. If they expect me to work until 8, and I leave at 7:15, as an hourly employee there's no reason I should get paid for that last fifteen minutes (frankly, even if my boss tells me 'there's nothing left to do today, go home now').

When I worked retail, just because the next shift's supervisor showed up early didn't mean I could leave before my scheduled time. While a nanny is a much more personalized employee than a clerical worker, it's reasonable not to pay her if she chooses to leave early.

Oh, OP - if you ever move to Massachusetts, and would hire a nanny with no experience, PM me :teeth:

Well the way I see it last year when I was working (on maternity leave now) and my DH worked the same hours we had to use a daycare that costs $300 a week for two kids...they only went from 230-6pm five days a week with no meals so we were paying more than the OP for less time and no chores done..I think the OP is doing great for budgeting child care!! Just because it has a different name (nanny vs daycare) doesn't make the actual service change.

BTW, we simply couldn't afford daycare after awhile (WAY TOO EXPENSIVE..even if it is considered a "deal" in our area) so DH and I changed work times to where someone was always available for the girls...saves us TONS now lol.

On the OPs questions, I am not a nanny, but I normally work in a Dr office...we are "supposed" to be opened 8-5 M-F, but if the Dr leaves we leave with no pay for what we WOULD have worked...and well if I left work early I would be docked pay. I, like the OPs nanny, am NOT on salary...I don't get paid for most holidays except the biggies like Tgiving and Cmas, if the office is closed I don't get paid even if I still have bills. I don't get Cmas or Bday bonuses and vacation hahaha..if our Dr goes to Belgium for a few weeks just because he can well I don't get a paid holiday, I get no work, no pay...(jealous of OP's nanny here). Nanny is a job like any other so unless she is salary I would sit her down and "remind" her of the terms you discussed when she was hired. Sometimes I hate how my job works, but you know its hard to get work these days and I am grateful for what I do have. Heck, if I was her I would be grateful as heck to get what she is..I am an MA and with a college degree get slightly less per hour. If you move to FL and need an au pair I have experience as a mom and would love those terms lol..

I think one of the big things is that if you get home early and tell her she can leave or asks and you say yes, she should get paid because its YOUR choice for her not to work. Not hers but she technically cant plan anything during that time. If she just leaves without permission than yes she should not be getting paid.

Basically, if you dont want her to leave even when you get hoem early, you need to tell her. If you dont tell her that than I think you are mroe at fault for that situation than she is

Do you have a written contract? Or are you paying her off the books? If you have a written contract that is mutually agreed upon I don't see that there can be a misunderstanding. If you are employing her legally, I would sit down with her, hash out terms, and then both of you sign a contract outlining EXACTLY what duties and hours are expected of her, and for EXACTLY what she will or will not be paid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter