What do you pay your nanny?

I think you sound like a PITA to work for based on this sentence. How would you like it if your own boss said that these are the only 3 weeks you can take off all year otherwise it is on your nickel. Vacations is the time the employee wants off, not the time that your employer happens to not need you. You are nickel and diming your nanny and my bet is if you hired another nanny you will be posting shortly there after about some other issue.

There are many, many jobs that have set vacation - she is really not unreasonable. 3 weeks paid is extremely generous, especially when she is only part time! I don't think I ever had a part time job that included *any* paid vacation.

My kids are 21 and 23 now but we had a live in nanny and back then we paid $400.00 a week and we provided the mini van she drove our kids around in . We did that so we knew they were in a safe car she did not ask . We took her on our vacations and paid for her to be there as well as her salary and then made sure she had time alone to so what she wanted.

We also live in the Dallas area.

We did help to pay for my Grandchilds nanny and we paid 100 a day I do not know what my DD paid her in addition to this .

( just wondering why this should NOT be posted on the BB? I love the BB and the tips I get from here . But it seems that if we are not trying to pull our self out of a huge pool of debt we are not welcome here , by some people not all )

I'm the only Nanny my kids have ever had so I am not sure about going rates but it does sound to me that the relationship is strained and it might be best to start interviewing for a new nanny. IF I had someone else taking care of my children - they would have to be like family to me - otherwise I could never trust them!

I am not sure why you want her to keep track of her hours - you know when she is there and are obviously keeping track of them for her and she probably senses this and this is why she is bothered by your request. Are you have at noon when she gets there? If not - how do you know what time she arrives?

One question I have that hasn't been addressed is if you are ever late -does she ever stay past 6? I am willing to be that if you haven't and you ever need to - she will not be happy about it.

In the jobs I had before I quit working - I can tell you that I was always much happier when my employers were more interested in my doing a good job and getting my work done than when they were interested in the hours I was at work.

I worked a job once where I was either so busy I couldn't see straight or had absolutley NOTHING to do. I was not reimbursed for the 5 am mornings or weekend phone calls but I was still expected to be at my desk during my normal hours when there was absolutely nothing going on. I was miserable in that job.

Having her be salaried, happy and doing a great job is probably in the best interest of your children. This might be something for you to think about.

I think you sound like a PITA to work for based on this sentence. How would you like it if your own boss said that these are the only 3 weeks you can take off all year otherwise it is on your nickel. Vacations is the time the employee wants off, not the time that your employer happens to not need you. You are nickel and diming your nanny and my bet is if you hired another nanny you will be posting shortly there after about some other issue.

I don't think that's really bad. The employee is getting 3 paid weeks off yes, they're when the employer dictates, but as PP note that's not that different than it is for any other employee in any other industry (My DH gets three weeks paid and he has to take them between May and September and he must work around 6 other employees who also must take their vacation in the same time period and . I then am limited to summer too and for both of us our employer's say no more that than one employee can take vacation at a time so basically we're very limited.

Plus she's not saying she won't be able to take vacation days at any other time, only that she won't be paid for them.

I think the bigger issue for the employee is more things like Monday where the OP won't pay her because she's not needed - which I can totally understand on the OP's part and as long as it was negotiated up front as OP indicated should be something the nanny plans for; however, people don't always remember that there are days that will be unpaid and don't allow for them in their budget. IMO, for some people that day's pay they're losing is more important than when they take vacation. I can name lots of people in my personal acquaintance who never really "vacation" anyway, just take time off to do things at home, so the timing of it doesn't really matter.

I am actually not at home when she gets to our house, but my husband is self employed and often is home and actually brought up her hours to me. I have been late on one occasion and she was paid for the extra time.I also called as soon as I knew that neither of us could be home on time. We were about 20 minutes late. I usually ask my mother to come by if I know I am going to be later than 6 as I know our nanny has her own family to take care of after she gets home.When she started she asked that she be paid by the hour. We have always had au pairs in the past which was a salaried position so this is new for us.There are some weeks when the kids were off for the holidays that we requested that she come in a little early ( she had advance notice) so some weeks she was paid for 32-33 hours.There were a few times she asked to leave early on a Friday so that she could get ready for a holiday party or a wedding ( she works as a photographer too and sometimes has weddings to shoot) so some weeks she has had fewer hours if she leaves a couple hours early to shoot the weddings or other functions.

Actually I AM willing to pay her for Monday if she wants to work. My kids are off, but I am not. She asked for the day off as it is a "holiday." I will need to make other arrangements for them to be cared for if she chooses not to work.Over President's weekend, she WILL be paid for that Monday as we will be out of town and WE requested that she not come.

Thank you for all your input from BOTH sides. I really appreciate it as I am trying to be fair and look at things from both sides. She is guaranteed the 30 hours if she choses to work them. If she is paid for fewer hours it is because she has arrived late or ASKED to leave early. Also though I am physically in the house early, I am often trying to complete paperwork for the day. I try to get dinner in the oven or started and finish my paperwork while it is cooking. Thanks again.:)

I guess I am having a hard time understanding why you cannot watch your own children when you come home early from work. Obviously they are not very young since they are all in school so why do you expect her to stay so you can sit home and do whatever?? I would want to leave when you came home as well since I would no longer feel you need me. As a single parent who doesn't have a sitter or nanny while I do school work or paperwork or cooking and also has 3 children I just don't get this.

Have you ever thought about how the kids may disrespect/not listen to her since you are home and it frustrates her?? Have you ever asked her why she may run late?? Do you know what she has going on before coming to work? It seems that you need to actually talk to her rather than bringing all this to a board she may very well frequent.

Just curious but is she responsible for transporting the kids to sports or anything else?? If she is do you pay her mileage for it?? Maybe she is finding the fit is not there and that is why she is getting more of the attitude.

I am a full time, professional nanny, in Dallas. I am very, very familiar with this market. I have been a nanny for the past 16 years, and many of my friends are nannies.

There are some discrepancies in the agreement. If the nanny is hourly then she is paid ONLY the hours she actually WORKS, unless the employer chooses to pay her more. If she is SALARIED then she is guaranteed a certain amount of money each week even if the employer allows her to leave early or arrive late or whatever.

I am salaried, so I am guaranteed my same rate each week even if my employers do not have me work all of those hours. If I work in excess of my normal hours I am compensated for it. I have a very specific written work agreement that is amended annually. I have 6 paid holidays, 2 weeks of paid vacation of my choice, and 5 paid sick days. (I am almost NEVER sick.) When my employers are on vacation I draw my regular salary.

If my employers come home early I do not assume I can leave. I wait until they tell me I may go. Your employee should not be running for the door as soon as you arrive home. If my employers do allow me to leave early I am not penalized for it.

Last year I did exceed my allotted vacation by 2 days and we agreed that I would just owe those hours back to them. We have a little sheet in my communications folder where we are tracking that.

The "typical" Christmas bonus for a nanny is 1-2 weeks of salary BUT that does certainly not apply to someone who has only been with the family for 6 weeks! I think a $100 gift card was very generous, and you ABSOLUTELY should have received a thank you note for it!

OP, if you do not already have a written agreement I would suggest that you go online and print one. The International Nanny Association website may have suggestions, or www.nannyanswers.com or www.lifewithnanny.com or www.everythingnanny.com may have some sample agreements. It is different having a nanny vs. an au pair, and every nanny employer is a little bit different. None of my friends have the exact same terms of employment that I have - it's a completely unregulated industry so it is up to your and your employee to come to mutually agreeable terms. It sounds like maybe there is some confusion as to "hourly" vs. "salary".

Wanted to chime in here and say it is VERY regional. I am in WI and sitters/day care here run between $2-$3.50 per hour per child. A "sitter" would be at the low end, and an actual day care would be at the higher end. Blows my mind when I see people paying so much more. :confused3

Is that a place that you drop the children off, or is it having someone to come to your house? :confused3 It generally costs 3x's the $ to have a sitter come to you, rather than drop the child off.

I live in Mexico, and we have plenty of maids. Since our Nacional economy is not very good, I pay mine around 800 dollars a month, and let me tell you, here is a LOT of money. In fact all my friends tell me that i will spolid her with that kind of money. She lives in, and she makes everything, from cooking to cleaning the dogs, cats and ferrets. She works 6 days a week, and she is entitle to a week of vacation for every year that she has work with you. For christmas we have to give them a 15 day salarie and is called aguinaldo. So when they leave for the US, to get more money, and they come back for vacations, they tell to all their family that they have a car, and house and so on, so the other members of the family get excited and want to go to the US, but sometimes they come back to stay, and they look for A job here, and i have met a few that when they come and ask for job, they tell you, a dont do laundry, i dont clean the bathrooms and so on, and we just laugh,and then ,they cant find a job because if they dont do that, we dont need them, we need them to CLEAN ,period, if a wanted to do something else, we will have a Secretary. So, if you have a mexican inmigrant, they know EXACTLY that they have to do what is necesary in your house, is our culture, in anyways I am trying to tell you that they dont deserve less,is just the way it is, so if you talk to them clearly, they will understand,and they will feel that you are speaking the true to them. I know that they are working in the US now, so it is very different, and you have different laws, and the prices are different to, so they need more money to survive, in my opinion you should tell them, that they need to do everything, that you need them to do, dont be afraid, because when they return, they face the thing that here, they have to work for less money, and harder, and belive me, they will be back to their families. Mexicans are warm people, and they tend to love the family they are working with, they are great with children and loyal. About upairs
I dont know a thing, but usually you get paid for the education that you had, since they speak al least two languages, are more prepared, I supose they earn more, is like you have a degree, well if you have a PHD, then you shoud be making more money. Wel l,my intentions are not to hurt anybodys feelings, Iam just telling you, how does it works around here. Hope that you and your nanny will get to an agreement.
Sara:)

I borrowed a Mexican nanny from my gf for 2 days a week ($100 a day) when my twins were born. I was a SAHM, but also had a 2 year old 5 year old, and 7 year old. She was amazing (and only 19). I'd go grocery shopping, and come home to find my infant twins bathed, fed, and asleep. My bathroom would be clean, the laundry started, and then she'd put away my groceries while I ran out for more errands. She still works for my gf, and has been with her for at least 10 years now (my gf bought her a car). She goes back to Mexico every summer, with her family (her sister watches her kids while she works). I was so spoiled when i had her. When my gf needed her back full time, I ended up with an American nanny, who just watched the kids.

I guess I am having a hard time understanding why you cannot watch your own children when you come home early from work. Obviously they are not very young since they are all in school so why do you expect her to stay so you can sit home and do whatever?? I would want to leave when you came home as well since I would no longer feel you need me. As a single parent who doesn't have a sitter or nanny while I do school work or paperwork or cooking and also has 3 children I just don't get this.

Have you ever thought about how the kids may disrespect/not listen to her since you are home and it frustrates her?? Have you ever asked her why she may run late?? Do you know what she has going on before coming to work? It seems that you need to actually talk to her rather than bringing all this to a board she may very well frequent.

Just curious but is she responsible for transporting the kids to sports or anything else?? If she is do you pay her mileage for it?? Maybe she is finding the fit is not there and that is why she is getting more of the attitude.

I can't speak for OP, but I work exclusively in my home and I need my nanny here when I'm working. She cooks, cleans and takes care of the kids for me. My kids are so much better behaved when she is HERE and I'm working than when she is NOT here and I'm working.

She assists me by overseeing that things get done like their chores, piano practice etc. She may sit in the other room with them, usually for a little bit before dinner time while I'm finishing things up and play with them. This allows me to finish what I'm doing with my business.

I used to be a single mom (actually still feel like one!) and can understand why you don't "get this" but although I worked full time outside the home then and more than full time inside the home now, the responsibilities now are entirely different.

There's nothing wrong with hiring someone to help and budgeting that into your expenses. Personally, having outside help is the best thing I've ever spent money on.

OP did not say she wanted her there so she could just "sit home and do whatever". She hired her for 12-6 and that's what she expects. What is wrong with that? Just because you don't "get this" doesn't mean it's wrong.

I have not read all the replies. The lady who watches our children gets a set amount of money per week. We could not afford to pay her an hourly wage, but we chose to give her the agreed upon amount for the week so that she could plan on a set amount of income for her budgeting purposes and we could budget what we need to pay her. We pay her that same amount for holiday weeks so she gets paid vacations (DH and I are teachers) and short weeks (Monday holidays, snow days...). If we get home early, we send her home early because we want to spend the time alone with our children and we know that she does so much for us and our kids when she is here, so she deserves a break. She does our laundry and she will keep things straightened up at our house but she does not do any deep cleaning. We have had the same lady watching our children for 9 years and she is like family. We also try to give her a couple of hundred dollars bonus at Christmas, her birthday, and the end of the school year (she does get summers off unpaid). We also pay her for any days she needs off because they are so far and few between. We have lucked out with this person and we would do anything to keep her and make her happy. I personally would not get bent out of shape for a half hours worth of pay if this person is good to your kids that is all that matters.

I will chime in as I am currently a Nanny/babysitter. I have 6 years of experience as a preschool teacher before I took this position. I watch their son who now is 19 months old (I've watched him since he was 3 months) and occasionally have his 10 year old sister after school on holidays and summer and school vacations etc.
The way you have her salary set up is pretty close to mine. I get paid hourly (I think $15 is very reasonable for 3 children) I don't make much less per hour and most of the time only have one child to watch. They pay me for the vacation weeks they take off. I don't get paid for vacations I take off which end up being about 3 weeks unpaid. Their two weeks of vacation didn't match up to mine. I don't get paid any sick time. I also am not required to do laundry and cleaning. Though I do help with laundry on occasion.
If I were you I would tell her she is guaranteed pay from 12-6 as long as she is there during those hours. Then tell her on the days you arrive home early you will let her know whether or not you need her to stay. If in advance she requests to leave early that is to be without pay. I don't think your requests are unreasonable. If you choose to allow her to leave early she should still get paid. But tell her this in advance.
I think there needs to be a conversation between you and her. If she doesn't like your terms there are many people who need jobs out there!!

Maybe the babysitter/nanny doesn't necessarily "click" with the OP and she doesn't want to hang around after she comes home from work? I have worked as a nanny for some scary women :scared1:, thank goodness their children were adorable. If there isn't a level of "comfort" with these two women sharing the same space, I could see why the nanny would be bailing as soon as she can each day. Since there is a bit of contention over hours, I'm sure there is a bit of unease on the nanny's part. Not saying the OP is making the nanny uncomfortable, but if she's not got a good rappor with the nanny, I think she should get a new one. A nanny job isn't like any other, you either get treated like a part of the family, or they treat you like hired help. It's always best to be treated like a part of the family :). I used to work for a woman who sort of/sometimes worked from home (her biggest job was decorating her new home). She would be in one part of the house and her twin babies and I would be in another, when she was in the room with us it was like a big elephant was sitting there (can you say, awkward!). She didn't know how to act around me (she was not a baby person either, so it was weird watching her interact with her girls), and at lunch time she'd be at one end of the kitchen and I'd be at the other and she wouldn't even try to have a conversation with me, it was like I was invisible. So strange, and horrible. I lasted 5 months before I quit. I really think it sounds like you should find a different person to do this job for you. You are offering good pay, try and find someone who appreciates it and is a better fit for you.

I don't understand why this would NOT be Budget Board appropriate?

Not everyone here fits into a preformed ideal of who is allowed to pinch their pennies and in what manner.

Was I supposed to submit a copy of my taxes before being allowed to post here?

OP, I've often wondwered what a fair payscale would be to have a nanny.

Instead of having a nanny when my kids were tiny, DH and I just worked alternate shifts, me on nights. If I had it to do over again, I'd have had that nanny!

I hope you and your nanny can have a discussion and come to an agreeable arrangement that works for everyone.

Seriously! That's exactly what I thought when I first saw this. :confused3

I'm confused that people are confused why nanny advice is on the budget board. The woman is paying her nanny $450/week for THREE kids' childcare. How many of you are paying around that same amount for daycare costs? I'd wager that most people with three kids pay that amount or more, at least in metropolitan areas.

So it must be the word "nanny" that's tripping everyone's alarms. But if you do the math, most people quickly realize that when you have more than a couple of young kids, the breakeven point tips in favor of a nanny over three in full time daycare. :confused3

Lots of my friends have/had nannies once they had their second or third child. For most of us, it was CHEAPER to have the nanny than pay $280/wk for a newborn + $240/wk for a 3 y/o + $220/wk for a 4 y/o.

Hope that helps dispel the myth that those who employ a nanny are loaded or spoiled. We're not, we just did the math and it came out cheaper and so much nicer on family life for the kids and the adults.

Clocking in 15 minutes early and 30 minutes late is not honest. Also it sounds like she has an attitude about it. Not thanking someone for a Christmas bonus is rude. Sounds like the nanny and the OP don't exactly see eye to eye, time to look for a new nanny. As for holiday pay, if it's a day she normally would work then she should get paid for it. Also she should be expected to be there so you don't have to hire another sitter.

I'm confused that people are confused why nanny advice is on the budget board. The woman is paying her nanny $450/week for THREE kids' childcare. How many of you are paying around that same amount for daycare costs? I'd wager that most people with three kids pay that amount or more, at least in metropolitan areas.

So it must be the word "nanny" that's tripping everyone's alarms. But if you do the math, most people quickly realize that when you have more than a couple of young kids, the breakeven point tips in favor of a nanny over three in full time daycare. :confused3

Lots of my friends have/had nannies once they had their second or third child. For most of us, it was CHEAPER to have the nanny than pay $280/wk for a newborn + $240/wk for a 3 y/o + $220/wk for a 4 y/o.

Hope that helps dispel the myth that those who employ a nanny are loaded or spoiled. We're not, we just did the math and it came out cheaper and so much nicer on family life for the kids and the adults.

I have to agree with this. Right after youngest DS was born, daycare for the three kids was going to cost me $650/wk - more per week than I was taking home. I was actually looking into hiring a Nanny or aupair for my three kids when I got laid off and no, I'm not wealthy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter