"What do you mean you don't want to do Disney" pre-trip report

dizneyrules

Mouseketeer
Hello! As my title states I have been outvoted on the family vacation this year. As if this is not hard enough, let's be superclose to WDW but not visit any of the parks! Seriously!? :confused:

The story goes like this - all of the fam wants to do "other things" in Florida. I thought for sure once free dining was offered I could surely entice them my way, right!? Didn't happen. So now I am embracing the plan and starting to plan our "non-Disney" vacation.

About us:
Me - Ann Marie 40 in July :eek: social worker by day; mother,wife and compulsive planner 24/7. We live in South Dakota (yes -people actually live here)

Jeff - DH age 44 police officer and husband and father extraordinare :hug:

Trevor - DS 18 just graduated but still willing to vacation with the family as long as we are paying! :littleangel:

Caitlyn and Courtney -twin DDs just turned 15 and started their first jobs. They'll stop hitting me up for money now, right? :laughing:

We are driving to Florida in September. Yes I did say driving! 24 hours of driving... are we crazy? Yes I am sure we are but we proven it can be done with driving trips to DC, Disneyland, and Texas. Plus now we have more eligible drivers so it will hopefully be painless :rolleyes:

Next up is our tentative plans - input is greatly appreciated! :teacher:

:eek:We will leave on September 1st and drive for two days at about 12 hours per day. That will put us at our first stop, Clearwater Beach, on Thursday night. We are still trying to decide on a hotel our first two nights near the beach. Suggestions anyone?:beach:

I will now mention that we are purchasing the six park Orlando Flex pass. This gives us unlimited admission to Islands of Adventure, Universal Studios Florida, Sea World, Aquatica, Busch Gardens, and Wet-n-Wild for up to 14 days. This is great value for families wanting to do all of these parks.

Friday 9/3 - Clearwater Beach and Sunset at Pier 60 during the evening; we are also thinking about spending a few hours at Busch Gardens to check it out since it will be our first visit to this park and we are huge coaster fans! :scared1:

Saturday, 9/4 - Busch Gardens for the day. We are then driving to our condo rental. We have stayed at this particular condo several times and love the location and the owners are fantastic to work with. We rent a 3 bedroom, 2 bath condo and love the advantages of having a washer and dryer and the extra space for all.

Sunday, 9/5 Sea World - been there several times and we love it. Also excited to ride the new coaster Manta! :cool2:

Monday,9/6 Aquatica waterpark - will be our first visit. DDs are very excited to check it out!
In the evening, we are hoping to go to Old Town. Two of my teenagers tried SlingShot a few years ago and feel they need to repeat the adrenaline rush! :eek:

Tuesday, 9/7 Islands of Adventure - we have been there but it has been 5 years. Looking forward to Harry Potter of course! Hope the crowds and park are not crazy busy!
We plan to spend some time in Citywalk after park close.

Wednesday, 9/8 Universal Studios
After the park closes, we may go to Sleuth's Mystery Dinner Theater. My hubby and I did this on our honeymoon long ago. A bit hokey but fun and the kids think it would be fun too.

Thursday, 9/9 Wet-n-Wild - this will be our first visit. The kids and I watched a waterpark special on the travel channel a few years ago and this was put on their must-do list. ;)
We may try to go to Downtown Disney in the evening. Maybe I can get a bit of my Disney fix and add to my Disney ornament collection too!

Friday, 9/10 This is slated to be our free day. We usually decide as a family if there is a park we want to return to. We are not usually the "sit and rest" type of family while we are on vacation. South Dakota is darn cold in the winter - we'll rest then!! :laughing:

Saturday, 9/11 This will be our last day. We are thinking about visiting Gatorland before we depart Orlando. Never been there and would like to see it. I'd love some honest opinions if this is worth the time and money. :confused:
`
then of course we drive the long 24 hours home Tired but full of adventures and memories... :lovestruc

Thanks for letting me share to build my excitement! Happy trip planning all!

Ann Marie :laundy:

I'm in :flower3:

I can understand being so close to WDW and not visiting. I was a little disappointed to but we let Alex pick since he graduates this year. He initially picked WDW but then changed his mind. Idc. Whatever keeps my babies happy. :love:

As my title suggested, have you thought about WDW water parks...they are awesome...that way you can kind of have your Disney fix.:rotfl:

That's what we are doing Fall Break, 2days at Universal and then 3rd day at Typhoon Lagoon and 4th day up in the air. We will split Universal into one day Islands of Adventure and the second at Universal Studios. This will be our first trip with kids ages 10 and 13 without staying exclusively at Disney. We have one night at the GF and the 3 nights at HRH. Can't wait!!! Not sure if we should do 3 day pass at Us/IOS or 2 days. Any suggestions?

Hi as the mother of twin girls with a brother 2 years older...who was also outvoted for a few years when the kids were the ages yours are...you are in for a grrrrreat time! I have one reminder and a few remarks/suggestions.

You are going over Labor Day weekend so Sat, Sun and Mon are going to be very busy days in the parks you are attending...so go extra early and plan accordingly.

If you are roller coaster lovers, there are none in US, they are all in IoA, and they are LOTS of fun plus the Spiderman 3-D.

In US your kids (and you and dad of course) will have a ball on "Men In Black"...use the single rider line and go several times. There are many other experiences you will love but for sure plan some time for MIB and don't miss Terminator II.

My big suggestion is...for something you kids have never done, nor will ever forget...try SkyVenture on International Drive. It's a little pricey, but well worth it. Make it a surprise on Friday for your husband and teens. Be mysterious. Make it a surprise for dad as well! Tell them they have never EVER done what you have planned...and yes, they will just have to wait until then. Walk into the viewing room at least 30 minutes ahead of your reservation time (yes, you must have made reservations ahead of time) and let them watch the experts (or other customers likeyou) do what they do...actually it's just as fun to watch your family members do this (it's very up close) as do it yourself! Then...voila...reveal that you have reservations! Note...I'd plan it in two reservation sections so the twins and you get to watch dad and your son do it first...and then you three do it in the next group so dad and son can watch you. There will probably be half a dozen or so (maybe 8) in every group. Maybe you'd want to go first and let dad and son go next to "show you girls how it's done"...lololol oh yeah...our family had a super great time and it truly is something our kids still talk about at 21, 21 and 23. This will take a couple of hours, but we stayed longer and watched the expert skydivers...amazing! Here's a link: http://www.skyventure.com/newsroom/default.aspx?ID=7d2f573f-f14b-4612-a494-66e628a536f3

I have spent all or part of almost every summer of my whole life at my aunt's near Yankton, South Dakota. I also took some classes at USD in Vermillion. I love SD!

Saturday, 9/11 This will be our last day. We are thinking about visiting Gatorland before we depart Orlando. Never been there and would like to see it. I'd love some honest opinions if this is worth the time and money. :confused:
`

Gatorland isn't all that great. I've been to it a couple of times on field trips and such and it was cool when I was younger but I don't know if it's worth it in my opinion.

Hi Anne Marie

Just checked your dates and we're going to be in Orlando the exact same dates as you guys!!! Really looking forward to the trip. Think we're only gonna do just one day in Disney as we have already booked our 6 park flexi tickets that include US, IoA, Seaworld etc!

Might see you over there lol:banana::woohoo:

Lou

I know this doesn't speak to the opening of WWoHP, but we did Disney last year Labor Day weekend, and it was one of the least crowded times we have EVER visited....so I hope that is the case for you this year at the other Orlando attractions :)
I think especially since you are hitting what will IoA on a Tuesday.
Have fun!
Kelley

Sounds like a fun Plan! If you feel the need for a little Disney fix without the Park costs, you can always stop in at DTD. I love to go there and shop, grab a bite to eat, enjoy a little bit of the frenzy when we get to Orlando. Then we go over to USO and get going on the relaxation and fun parks part of the vacation!

Maria :upsidedow

Hi, hope you dont mind me popping in with my "help", lol.
Your trip sounds like fun, yes even the drive. Might be long BUT think of all that family bonding time, LOL.

I might not make people happy when I say this BUT I would skip Wet-n-Wild, the place is a dump, its dirty, parking is "odd". We wouldnt go to this park if they let us in free. I am sure some might disagree with me, this is just our impression.

As far as BG, if you guys love costers then this is a must do :thumbsup2

I cant wait to read more about your plans then your trip report :thumbsup2

Hi, hope you dont mind me popping in with my "help", lol.
Your trip sounds like fun, yes even the drive. Might be long BUT think of all that family bonding time, LOL.

I might not make people happy when I say this BUT I would skip Wet-n-Wild, the place is a dump, its dirty, parking is "odd". We wouldnt go to this park if they let us in free. I am sure some might disagree with me, this is just our impression.

Yes, I agree. We only spent a few hours there in June, it was very underwhelming - Aquatica is better, with a nicer overall quality to the park imo, but still not that great. I'm just gonna' do the Disney waterparks next time seeing as I havn't done these before anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter