• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you make for Christmas dinner - INSTEAD of Ham?

:scared1:

Our grocery stores put the prime rib on sale for $5.99 a pound -

The place we gets ours also always puts the rib roasts on sale right before Christmas. Our 22 pounder was just under $100.00

Ham? I thought that was an Easter dish? For Christmas we usually have one of the following:

Turkey
Roast Beef
Prime Rib
Almond Chicken (homemade, not take-out)
Lasagna

Almond chicken - could you post the recipe - this sounds good :goodvibes

Beats me - I went with my mother, and she picked it out. I do know that it was 11.4 pounds. Maybe it is another cut of meat? I know its not a tenderloin.... I'm pretty sure it was a standing rib roast with the bone in. We got it at Cost Co.
That makes sense. I looked at Costco's and they were $10.00 /lb :scared1:

We went out to eat for Thanksgiving and had some pretty mediocre food so I'm making a turkey for Christmas. Assuming that I don't burn it, it should be much better and so will the side dishes.

I would love to make a rib roast one year but I don't have a clue how to make it.

We went out to eat for Thanksgiving and had some pretty mediocre food so I'm making a turkey for Christmas. Assuming that I don't burn it, it should be much better and so will the side dishes.

I would love to make a rib roast one year but I don't have a clue how to make it.

Buy rib roast, stick in pan on a wire rack, insert meat thermometer, cook until your liking. Some people add rubs or whatever, we add nothing.

We like ours rare so we take it out when the thermometer says 100. 120 is bloody rare and we let it sit to relax for 30 mins on the counter. The temp raises to 120 sitting out there on the counter.

I took it out at 120 before and then it rest in which it raised to 140 when ruined it for us because that is just too done for us.

The key is to use a meat thermometer because it is all about how rare you want the meat and it is too expensive to ruin it.

We usually have ham with collard greens, potato salad, devil eggs and sweet potato pie.

This year will having pizza and wings and cookies and cake for dessert. I have work Christmas Eve and Christmas day.

Christmas is usually just the three of us, and I don't want to spend the day in the kitchen, so we often spend the day grazing... nachos, shrimp cocktail, seafood chowder, wings, cheesecake, red velvet cake, ice cream.... depends on what we are feeling like. When I do decide to cook a big dinner, it's been prime rib, shrimp scampi, baked stuffed shrimp (or shrimp and scallops), or lamb. I usually have to make a special side dish as none of this is anything DD will eat; her favorite options are Kona Cafe's almond chicken (we all enjoy the salad with strawberries), Boma's peanut rice (truly her favorite dish anywhere), or my (actually my mom's recipe) homemade macaroni and cheese.

This year we are invited to a friend's house, and dinner will be prime rib. YUM! There will be 10 of us, and we'll all chip in for the meat (and do potluck for sides) so we can have a BIG roast. One of the most disappointing things about cooking prime rib for 2 is that we can't afford a big roast (especially as we won't finish it all), and small ones just don't cook as evenly or nicely.

We usually have ham with collard greens, potato salad, devil eggs and sweet potato pie.

This year will having pizza and wings and cookies and cake for dessert. I have work Christmas Eve and Christmas day.

When they served me collard greens at 50's Primetime in DHS, I thought it was a very, very bad joke. Who would eat that on purpose? Just kidding.... But seriously - who would eat that on purpose?

Christmas Eve we're having an abbreviated version of the Feast of the Seven Fishes: shrimp cocktail, crab cakes, and tilapia.

Instead of a ham or turkey, Christmas Day this year is going to be Polish foods: stuffed cabbage, pierogis, kielbasa, mushroom & barley soup.

For some reason prime rib roast has become a New Years Day tradition for us.

New Years Eve is grazing on finger foods and appetizers.

Jim

Buy rib roast, stick in pan on a wire rack, insert meat thermometer, cook until your liking. Some people add rubs or whatever, we add nothing.

We like ours rare so we take it out when the thermometer says 100. 120 is bloody rare and we let it sit to relax for 30 mins on the counter. The temp raises to 120 sitting out there on the counter.

I took it out at 120 before and then it rest in which it raised to 140 when ruined it for us because that is just too done for us.

The key is to use a meat thermometer because it is all about how rare you want the meat and it is too expensive to ruin it.
It sounds so simple the way you describe. I have always been afraid of ruining it but it's so delicious when made properly.

Maybe I'll try to make one soon...

We switched from turkey to prime rib roast a couple of years ago. That reminds me, I have to pick up the roast I ordered today.

If there arent many people, I make game hens. However, this year, I am considering making

Ultra Crispy Slow Roasted Pork Roast

20111204-pork-shoulder-07-primary.jpeg

We are doing ham this year, but in past years we have done game hens, pork tenderloin or turkey. For many years after we got married we did turkey because that is what DH's family always did. I remember the first year that I decided to make something different. His parents wanted to know if they could bring a turkey to go with the tenderloin that I made. I said no, that I had it all under control and there hasn't been a problem since. :)

Christmas Eve is just cocktails and appetizers and then Christmas day We will have filet mignon, shrimp, and salmon with sauteed asparagus, sauteed mushrooms, and baked potatoes.

My family always has spaghetti for Christmas Day dinner, and no we are not Italian:laughing:

We usually celebrate Christmas Eve more than Christmas Day. On Christmas Eve we have all sorts of food, including ham. We never sit down for an actual dinner though, we just put all the food out as like finger foods and just mingle all night. Because of that on Christmas Day we do something simpler, spaghetti.

I will have 25 people for Xmas dinner. :scared1:
Here is my menu:

Appetizers:
...snip...Tomato & basil dip (recipe from Tony's Town Square at WDW) with bread & breadsticks to dipRondele cheese & crackers

Recipe for the dip, please?

We have the "big" celebration on Christmas Eve and it is usually a beef roast and a pork roast cooked together. It makes wonderful gravy.

Christmas Day is just my family and my parents and we've been doing lasagne for the last several years. We get a frozen lasagne from the italian market, garlic bread, and salad. No muss, no fuss and no clean up!

Cossetta's, by chance? We always got our stuff from Buon Giorno but they closed this year... :(

When they served me collard greens at 50's Primetime in DHS, I thought it was a very, very bad joke. Who would eat that on purpose? Just kidding.... But seriously - who would eat that on purpose?

I love me some collard greens. BIL is from the south and he introduced them to me and keeps me stocked up on them! YUM!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter