What do you have to forgo by staying at the Swan/Dolphin

Unless you say something, your daughter probably won't know that she isn't at a WDW resort. There's a cute gift shop, Daisy's Garden. The candy shop next to it, Sugar3 has been a favorite of our kids.
As you know,the Dolphin is right next door to the YC/BC. We've stayed at both the S/D, WDW deluxe resorts, and we're DVC members as well. All are great. If I could save $1000 by staying at the Dolphin, I'd do it in a second. Points are much higher on weekends at the villas and we often stay at either the Swan or Dolphin on Fri and Sat nights before moving to DVC accommodations.

We just got back from the Dolphin and I wanted to share what we learned! My wife and I were just remarking on how great the hotel was and we look forward to returning when our boys are a little older and we can more enjoy a pool/resort day. Full disclosure, we're SPG members so we kind of defaulted to this hotel and stay for free (points), but that doesn't mean it wasn't enjoyable. Helping that was the service was pretty much stellar across the board. Also agree the beds were very comfortable and the room had plenty of space.

Does anyone know if you stay at swan/dolphin can you still partake in the marshmallow toasting over at the beach by BC/YC?

I saw a sign today on our way out to the pool that they have campfire smores on the beach, I think everyday of the week.

One other question if I may, can you still use magic bands if you stay at the swan dolphin? I think i read somewhere you can but you have to buy your own. I have seen them for sale at the disney store i think. If you buy them there how do you get them linked to your MDE account? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance for any info.

Like Syracuse Wolvrine said, they won't come as part of your hotel reservation, but you can get them in the hotel at Daisy's Garden or really anywhere in the park. The main convenience I see people mention is for the rides, so I would think getting one at City Hall or where ever wouldn't be a big deal. In other words, getting in the gates was a non-issue. In fact, we had to wait for a family with bands to figure it out. It seemed to me they have to be lined up perfectly in order to work. But they're all over the place. My wife ended up getting one at Main Street City Hall when we got a last minute Memory Maker and it was instantly linked to our account, showed up in my phone app, etc. It was seamless. But yes, otherwise there is no link with the hotel since it's not owned by WDW.

For a post-park mickey pop, they had those at Pikabu on the bottom floor. Lots of other snacks and an arcade too if your DD is into that kind of thing.

Lots of good, diverse restaurant and food options including a nice lobby bar. And for character dining there's Garden Grove at the Swan.

Like others have said you're not far from the Boardwalk, I'd say a 5 minute walk. We cruised over to Seashore Sweets' with the stroller and had ice cream right after we arrived. We enjoyed the walk.

We spent this morning at the pool and it was great. Huge pool with water fall and water slide, lots of chairs and umbrellas in sun or shade, two separate large lap pools for laps or more quiet swimming, games, cabana bar and restaurant, hot tubs, towels, and more.

Last edited:
We're staying one day at the Dolphin, booked thru Sheraton... should I be able to link this night to an MDE account? Just to have it show up there. I know my magic bands won't open the doors.

Last edited:
You don't get to make ADRs 180+10 like the official Disney resorts. So if you want to book ASAP for those hard to get reservations (Cinderella's Royal Table, Be Our Guest, etc) you will have to make reservations 180 days in advance for every single day of your trip separately instead of making all of them at once at for your entire trip at 180 days out. I don't know what time zone you are in, but being in the West coast, it was a little rough having to go online every night at 3am.

We're staying one day at the Dolphin, booked thru Sheraton... should I be able to link this night to an MDE account? Just to have it show up there. I know my magic bands won't open the doors.

Yes, I put our hotel stay on MDE. Go to the side menu > My Account > My Reservations, to add.

Ok, let's see if I miss anything.
Besides not having transportation to and from the airport, the only other perks I lose are being able to book the +10 and the ability to charge to the room.
1. I can walk over to the Beach Club or Boardwalk and use the Disney bus and boat transportation to the parks?
2. I can link my MB to MDE and still see my ressies.
3. What about fps? 30 or 60 days out? 1 day at a time or entire stay? I imagine the same with the BBB.
4. Can I reserve a package or buy the tickets separately?
5. Who is the best agency to go through?
6. My DIL is a nurse; are there any other discounts on top of that? I read where someone "stacked" some discounts so not sure what's available.

Thanks so much!

Ok, let's see if I miss anything.
Besides not having transportation to and from the airport, the only other perks I lose are being able to book the +10 and the ability to charge to the room.
1. I can walk over to the Beach Club or Boardwalk and use the Disney bus and boat transportation to the parks?
2. I can link my MB to MDE and still see my ressies.
3. What about fps? 30 or 60 days out? 1 day at a time or entire stay? I imagine the same with the BBB.
4. Can I reserve a package or buy the tickets separately?
5. Who is the best agency to go through?
6. My DIL is a nurse; are there any other discounts on top of that? I read where someone "stacked" some discounts so not sure what's available.

Thanks so much!
1. Even better. Disney provides the transportation for the S/D. It has its own bus and boat stop, just like the Disney-owned resorts.
3. 60 days plus length of stay.

I think you may be right on this one. I know one of the things that my daughter really loves are the Disney cartoons that they show on the TV at the Disney resorts. She even looks forward to that crazy Duffy bedtime show Lol. I assume they don't have those at the swan/dolphin. She also loves getting one of those Mickey ice cream bars back at the resort after coming back from the parks. Again I have no idea if the swan/dolphin has those. So while I think the swan or dolphin would be great for me I am now starting to wonder how she will feel missing out on those "litte Tthings"

All the TV channels you get at the WDW Resorts are also available at the Dolphin and Swan. You can also get a mickey bar and much more at the Disney resort store at the Dolphin and the Swan as well as at the pools - the stores sell everything the other WDW Resort stores sell. You also have a 24 hour food court that has great selection and offers AAA discounts.

You can also make your FP+ at 60 days and link your resort reservation via MDE - you do have to wait on the 180 days and do this day by day for ADR's though.

We LOVE the Dolphin and IMHO the feature pool is one of the top 3 on property.

You can walk/boat to two parks and share a bus with the YC/BC to the others. You can also walk to the BC/YC and all the restaurants there as well as walk or boat to Boardwalk.

Unlike the Disney resorts you don't have room charging or dining program options but you can have purchases delivered to the resort, and extra magic hours.
Unlike Disney you can also reserve the resort view and balcony you like rather than xx your fingers. We love the "resort balcony view" with views of the water/pools and the Studios but when it is our budget being able to choose and pay for "epcot fireworks" is totally worth it!

As long as you add the resort fee to the reservation cost you can do a fair calculation as to what the actual price is and that is often comparable with a Disney moderate. Especially with a teacher nurse or annual passholder discount.

ETA -
Yes you can roast marshmallows at BC/YC, Boardwalk or Dolphin, you don't have to be a guest to do this.

Dolphin/Swan also offer all the same boating options as BC/YC and in addition they have paddle boats, beach volleyball, basketball and an amazing beach area.

Last edited:
All the TV channels you get at the WDW Resorts are also available at the Dolphin and Swan. You can also get a mickey bar and much more at the Disney resort store at the Dolphin and the Swan as well as at the pools - the stores sell everything the other WDW Resort stores sell. You also have a 24 hour food court that has great selection and offers AAA discounts.

We LOVE the Dolphin and IMHO the feature pool is one of the top 3 on property.

You can walk/boat to two parks and share a bus with the YC/BC to the others. You can also walk to the BC/YC and all the restaurants there as well as walk or boat to Boardwalk.

Unlike the Disney resorts you don't have room charging or dining program options but you can have purchases delivered to the resort, and extra magic hours.
Unlike Disney you can also reserve the resort view and balcony you like rather than xx your fingers. We love the "resort balcony view" with views of the water/pools and the Studios but when it is our budget being able to choose and pay for "epcot fireworks" is totally worth it!

As long as you add the resort fee to the reservation cost you can do a fair calculation as to what the actual price is and that is often comparable with a Disney moderate. Especially with a teacher nurse or annual passholder discount.

ETA -
Yes you can roast marshmallows at BC/YC, Boardwalk or Dolphin, you don't have to be a guest to do this.

Dolphin/Swan also offer all the same boating options as BC/YC and in addition they have paddle boats, beach volleyball, basketball and an amazing beach area.
Wow! Thank you guys so much! Who do you normLly book through or just call the resort directly?

Wow! Thank you guys so much! Who do you normLly book through or just call the resort directly?

If you want one of the military, government, nurse, teacher or AP discounts you need to call (1-888-625-4988) but I have always had good experiences with the call center - you can book other discounts online at spg.com - aaa and aarp for example.

I called SPG because I needed 2 rooms on points. Very easy.

I booked us for Epcot Food and Wine, we arrive in less than 2 months -- great AAA rate and perfect spot to walk/boat into Epcot and stagger/wheelbarrel back every night!

Tom

One of the perks of being a parent is that you get to decide how money gets spent. Unless your daughter is paying the bill - the decision about where to stay is yours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter