What do you give your child care provider for the holidays?

amsafko

DIS Veteran
We have a wonderful woman who watches our son with a few other children M-F. Last year, we had just begun with her the month before and I almost forgot to get her anything at all but I did get her a $25 gift card to Kohls. I have no idea what is an appropriate amount to spend/give her. So what do you do? Thanks.

I am a daycare provider and my gifts range from nothing to a weeks pay. I think that whatever you decide just include a note with how much she means to you, those notes far exceed any gifts I ever get.

I think that somewhere in the $25-$50 range is great. I think that it is always wonderful to be appreciated and I am sure that your gift will be well received.

Last year I gave a $50 Costco gift card. This year I overpaid her for a day on accident, and I think I'll tell her not to worry about and I have a "family night" basket I made for them with some card games, a movie, popcorn, candies and little things like that in it. We scaled back big time this year, so I hope they enjoy it.

I'm a sahm now, but when our older dd was in a home daycare, I always wrote her caregiver a bonus check for a week's pay, and tried to find something small like an ornament, to go with it. Once she switched to a center, there were multiple teachers, so it got trickier.

With money being tight, I am giving my sitter a movie night basket with two movies from netflex and some popcorn... It is the thought that counts :thumbsup2

Its been a number of years since my children required daycare, but when they did I gave her a week's pay.

Wow, a week's pay is a lot to give! That is pretty much more than I spend on my own DS at Christmas!

My home daycare provider was a big Disney fan so we always picked up something neat on our trips for her for Christmas. Last year it was an Alice in Wonderland ornament (her favorite character) and this year it was a Jack Skellington snow globe (another favorite). The dollar amount wasn't a lot (less than $25) but we tried to buy things that showed we knew what her favorites were.

I was a daycare teacher prior to having kids and I watch my cousin's kids in my house now. Honestly, just anything that shows that you remembered and care would be nice. Last year I watched them on Christmas Eve, against my better judgement to even do that at all but I was trying to be nice so I did it. That kid puked all over my house and when I called the parents and said to come and get her, nothing. No card, no gift, no "merry christmas", no offer to help clean up the barf (they are not supposed to send their kids when they are sick, let alone sick and on a holiday). So here I am, already stressed about the normal holiday family demands and I am scrubbing barf off of everything and washing barf laundry instead of being with my family. Super. Oh and I gave gifts to their kids ($15-20/kid) and nothing- not even a card.

Just do something, anything. Even if it's just a card with a note saying how nice it is to know that your kids are in good hands and how much you appreciate that. It's largely a thankless job and it's nice to feel appreciated every now and then.

Wow, a week's pay is a lot to give! That is pretty much more than I spend on my own DS at Christmas!

My home daycare provider was a big Disney fan so we always picked up something neat on our trips for her for Christmas. Last year it was an Alice in Wonderland ornament (her favorite character) and this year it was a Jack Skellington snow globe (another favorite). The dollar amount wasn't a lot (less than $25) but we tried to buy things that showed we knew what her favorites were.

while I certainly wouldn't complain about a week's pay, your gift is nice because it shows that you actually know your daycare provider as a person. :thumbsup2

When my kids had a nanny we gave her a weeks pay for the holidays. When they started going to a daycare center we gave each the teachers in the room $25 Visa gift cards.

1 weeks pay! are you kidding me?!! My son goes to a great childcare center, but he has 4 teachers. No way I could afford that. I am planning to give cards with a nice note, and a drawing from my son

I am a childcare provider and generally get a $50 gift, whether it be a giftcard or gifts that are around that amount. A week's pay would be nice, but I'd never expect that. They also do something for my birthday every year and I think it's nice they remember... :)

We send our provider (who actually doesn't watch the kids anymore, but we love her) a balsam wreath from LL Bean.

Denae

I'm a childcare provider too & generally get gift cards to my favorite hair salon or restaurant - usually in the $25 - $50 range. An extra weeks pay would be nice but I would never expect it & would be totally surprised!

with the help of a great DIS'er on the DISigns board (Kellybell), I'm making great tshirts with each of my teacher's names on it and saying "A Really great Teacher at ...".

It is only costing me about $5 per shirt and it's something different for them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter