What do you get for your child's teacher for xmas?

I was at Whole Foods tonight and they have those "feed the children" tote bags. I think they were $10 or $20. It would be a nice donation to charity and the teacher would have a tote bag. I was thinking of doing them for the teachers and Sunday School Teachers. What do you think?

Ghirardelli Christmas Tree Tin

In fact we bought a few Christmas tins for gifts on our recent trip.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME....... I am keeping one for myself:cool1:

I would think a Christmas ornament that your child made or selected in a store would be a nice reminder of your child for the teacher. Most people put up a Christmas tree and even if they have tons of ornaments I always think there is room for one more...:)

My daughter asked me if we could get her 2nd grade teacher something and I told her we would. She went to school the next day and asked the teacher what she wanted. She said she wanted to think about it and would let her know the next day. I am thinking she would come home with "stationary, a book donation for the class" type list.

You know what the teacher wants? Beatles Rock Band :banana:

She is a very young teacher and I guess didn't realize my daughter was asking so she could get her something LOL. Heck, maybe she did know and thought she would try LOL.

Poor DD was very upset that I said we can't buy it. I finally convinced her that we would get her a Target gift card that she could get Rock Bank with if no one else got it for her for Christmas. She was thrilled to find a Target gift card with a Santa playing a guitar that says Rock on it.

$10 for each main teacher, probably $5 for the 2nd graders gifted program teacher (just 1 hour, 2x a week) and $10 for the 5th graders gifted program teacher (2 hrs/day). I feel bad for the connect teachers (art, music, PE, etc). I am sure they don't get anything but I just don't have the funds for everyone.

I bought a beautiful silver bookmark with a gift card I got for Kohls. Then, I will buy some classroom supplies or a Hobby Lobby gift card that was on her list. My son always makes a homemade card and I may give her some of the 14 dozen cookies I have to make this week for a cookie exchange!!!:eek:

Gift cards are great! As teachers, we are surrounded by kids who are needy, and many times the school can just not supply what is needed when it is needed...this year, I've purchased socks for one boy, a costume for a Chorus student, and adopted a kid off of our "Angel Tree" because his family can't afford anything for Christmas...my fiance and I are getting him a guitar, his only request besides some sneakers. I've purchased many other things for students/ my classroom, and I can pretty much guarantee that any gift card will go toward the kids...except maybe Starbucks. :rotfl:

Just my 2 cents...I was a teacher (before I was a mom) and I can tell you I got more chocolate, mugs and teacher themed ornaments than I care to remember....

I will say that the best gift I ever received was a butterfly garden...my room mom found out I liked to garden, took up a collection, and got me a selection of plants and gardening tools.

Other than that I would say gift cards are your best choice, for the teacher's favorite restaurant or store.

I'm putting together a Christmas stocking for my co-teacher. It will have nice soap, hand sanitizer (the school supplied stuff is icky), chocolates, and I baked her some goodies. I know she will eat my cooking as we bring in treats all the time to share. :) If I were a parent, I'd forgo the goodies and toss in tea or cocoa packets, and maybe a $5 gift card to somewhere.

Another thing all teachers like are decent pens. We write a lot and a nice pen with a comfy grip is worth gold. I guard my good pens like a hawk. It's a sad day when I have to resort to the cheapy pens the school supplies.

I was at Whole Foods tonight and they have those "feed the children" tote bags. I think they were $10 or $20. It would be a nice donation to charity and the teacher would have a tote bag. I was thinking of doing them for the teachers and Sunday School Teachers. What do you think?

I think it's a great idea and I would be thrilled that someone did that as my gift, but according to an earlier thread there were some teachers that posted that they didn't appreciate the gift giver choosing which charity to donate to.:confused3 Personally, I think it's a great gift.

Just my 2 cents...I was a teacher (before I was a mom) and I can tell you I got more chocolate, mugs and teacher themed ornaments than I care to remember....

I will say that the best gift I ever received was a butterfly garden...my room mom found out I liked to garden, took up a collection, and got me a selection of plants and gardening tools.

Other than that I would say gift cards are your best choice, for the teacher's favorite restaurant or store.

Unless you are allergic or just plain don't like the taste, can one really ever have too much chocolate???:rotfl:

I typically try to do something more personal, often I will ask the school secretaries or the other teachers in her grade what my dd's teacher would like. Most of the staff are more than willing to tell me what she would like. This year dd's teacher is getting a giftcard to a local coffee shop (she goes every Friday), one of the flavored coffees she likes and a travel mug since she can never have enough (or so I was told). Dd's teacher last year loved Pirates of the Caribbean so I got her a pirates ornament and photo frame from Disney world. The year before her teacher had just had her first baby and I bought an ornament and had it personalized with the families names, she loved it so much she cried! If I absolutely can't figure anything out than I will get a Barnes and Noble gift card since they can get something for either themselves or their classroom.

Kindergarten teacher here............personally I dont eat homemade goodies. I dont know who made them (mom or child), if they washed their hands, if they have pets running around on the counters, etc. Baked goods get tossed.

Some of my fave gifts have been:

git cards to Starbucks or restaurants, Target
book store gift cards
holiday ornaments
a silver bookmark

I was doing gift bags for DH's secretaries at work yesterday. I got some of the anti bacterial hand soap at Bath and Body Works 3/$10 and some of the pocket size hand sanitizer for $1 each, all in holiday scents. So for $13 I made 3 gifts, less than $5 per gift and I personally would love getting something like that!

My son is in pre-school and I have 2 teachers to buy for (teacher and aide) and every year I make them some home made bread. Last year I bought some nice Christmas plates to put it on. Sadly, I bought a 4 pack intending to put it on this year too but my son got the same teacher so... luckily I have some cute bags to put it in this year that say "Dashing through the dough". They can reuse the bag and eat the bread. It's a cranberry cinnamon bread.

mine now have 4 teachers thanks to team teaching so this year its only $10 gift cards to target. Normally I do $20 when it was only 2 teachers. I was going to make them a plate of peppermint bark also. ;) whether they eat it or not- its the thought that counts..

Like a previous poster, I bought Vera Bradley items for Christmas back in October for my DD13's teachers. For $10-12, they will get a belt and a cell phone or eyeglass case.

I also ordered 2 6 count sets of a Philosophy 3 in one shower gels that, with shipping, end up being about $6 each:

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/...ilosophy-set-of-6-holiday-shower-gel-ornament

I keep these on hand for anyone I might have forgotten and have a small gift for the bus driver, girl who does my hair, etc. And as fillers for my nieces (my daughter will get one or two in her stocking too)!

Careful though, I bought my gift cards weeks ago and within in the last week I have been approached about a group gift for all three of the classes my kids are in. Now I have to decide what to do. I have never had that happen at Christmas time before. Usually they do a group gift end of year but not now.

At our school, the class moms take up a $5 collection at Christmas and at the end of the year, and the majority contribute, plus send in a gift from their family. $20 gc's from Barnes and Noble from us this year, only have 4 teachers (plus 2 student teachers, $10 gc's), since dd13 is in JH, and has too many teachers (I don't even know their names).

When my daughters were in the early grades I always do a really nice end of the year gift. But at Christmas I always buy a really nice Christmas pop up book and write a note inside the cover with my daughters name and year inside. Our favorite is The Snowman at Night. It is a beautiful pop up and it will be in the classroom for years to come. The gift has always been a hit because they always have a collection of Christmas books that they read to the class during the holiday season...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter