What do you do with your dog?

We have a chocolate lab. It was important to me to find arrangements that I was very comfortable with because nothing makes me more anxious than worrying about my kids or my dog. It would be the quickest way to ruin a trip if I was worried about him the whole time. I checked out a few facilities before we settled on the one we use. It ended up being the most expensive but it was that way for a reason. I was more impressed with the staff (owner a registered vet tech), the indoor outdoor runs had heated floors and solid dividers between the kennels so the dogs weren't aggressive with whomever was beside them. There is supervised play with animals that are of similar size and temperament , two walks a day, and it's a beautiful facility on a farm.

The only arrangement we think would be better would be someone who came to stay at the house with him, or maybe staying in someones house. I don't have anyone I could or would want to ask to come stay for 10 days. We do know someone who's highly recommended who watches dogs in her home, but he's a 2.5 year old lab and as well trained as he is... he's a 2.5 year old lab. If you are a lab owner you know what I mean. We aren't quite at the maturity level required to unleash him on someone else's home for a week :rolleyes1:dog:.

A quick place to start looking for recommendations is to ask the staff at your vet where they board their animals. They all used the one I ended up going with.

If we will be gone one or two nights, our teenage neighbor across the street comes over 3-4 times a day to take them out and feed them. If it's more than that, we either do kennel or house-sitter. The kennel is far more expensive, but lately I've been choosing that. We've come home to a few nightmares (one involving tearing out carpet that same night) when we've had house-sitters, so I like the kennel for no surprises. One dog likes the kennel; one dog doesn't. I used to worry about that a lot, but I've really let it go. They are, no matter how much I love them, DOGS, not children, and I find they will in fact survive the kennel just fine. The kennel is in my vet's office, so I know they are well cared for.

We have a dog sitter that comes and stays at our home while we are away. It's cheaper and better than boarding them, and obviously easier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter