• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you do with yellow summer squash?

This is good for Zucccini , yellow squash and skinny eggplant

slice on diagonal into 1/2 " thick slices
Grill outside or on a George Foreman grill-or just grill in hot skillet with a tad olive oli

Top with parmesan cheese-YUM!:cool1:

My favorite summer side dish - Slice squash and layer in buttered casserole dish, top with a layer of sliced tomato (preferably also fresh from your garden), followed by another layer of sliced sweet onion, top with a few pats of butter, repeat the layers and top off with a bit more butter and a sprinkle of whatever cheese is in the fridge (cheddar, Parmesan or mozzarella - or a bit of everything). Bake in oven at about 350 until it is bubbly and has nice crispy layer on top. So good with anything grilled!

Wash squash and cut off ends. Slice into circles. Dice a medium to large onion. Put squash circles and diced onion, along with some salt and pepper, into a cast iron frying pan. Fill to top with water (squash will not be completely covered, but almost.) Cook on medium heat until squash is tender and onion is cooked (probably about 35 - 40 minutes.) As squash cooks down, chop it with the side of a spoon into littler and littler pieces. Cook until all the water is cooked out. You'll end up with a "squash mush" and it is delicious. My favorite summertime dish - I cook it every week and have it at several meals!!

mmmm yellow squash:)

I like to slice is up, dip it in some egg and then dip it in some flour. Fry is in some vegetable oil ( very unhealthy I know but OH SO YUMMY!) salt and pepper to taste as it's frying.

I also like to slice it or chop it in good slice pieces. Heat some garlic flavored EVOO, saute it in the pan with anyything you'd like to add. I usually add some zucchini and onions, and then I eat it as a side dish.

We love to slice it up and coat it in corn meal and fry in Crisco.Yes,I know that's not the healthy way to use it,but it's very good.My daughters and son in laws use it in alot of other ways.They cook different than I do.But really you can do alot with it.

Soooooo yummy!!! That is how my mom makes it and it is delish!!!!!!

On Allrecipes.com you can input what ingredients you have and get a list of recipes.

I like to roast yellow squash, zucchini, asparagus, white potato, sweet potato, and onion together.

Love this way too! Haven't had it with the sweet potato in it but sounds good!

I also love to just slice it and cut the slices into smaller pieces and add it to my salad!

My favorite way to eat it when it is fresh-out-of-the-garden is to slice it, cook it for 20 minutes or so over medium heat with a little water in the bottom of the pot (until it is soft and breaks apart), drain it and add butter and a little shredded cheese. Mmmmm....

May have to head to the farmers market this weekend. :)

We do this minus the butter! Monterey jack is myfav cheese to use, but mozzarella works too.

Wash squash and cut off ends. Slice into circles. Dice a medium to large onion. Put squash circles and diced onion, along with some salt and pepper, into a cast iron frying pan. Fill to top with water (squash will not be completely covered, but almost.) Cook on medium heat until squash is tender and onion is cooked (probably about 35 - 40 minutes.) As squash cooks down, chop it with the side of a spoon into littler and littler pieces. Cook until all the water is cooked out. You'll end up with a "squash mush" and it is delicious. My favorite summertime dish - I cook it every week and have it at several meals!!

This is how my mom did it, and I do it now, only I add a little bacon grease, we are from the south you know.:thumbsup2

I'm not anywhere near as ambitious as y'all. Half the time they are sliced and sauteed with olive oil. The rest of the time they are sliced and put in the top of my rice cooker with Promise spread. Rice and vegetable at the same time in the same dish, I'm sooo lazy!!!

We eat it every night this time of year now too!

I cut it in chunks and either microwave it or put it in some tin foil on the grill with butter and salt and pepper.

Fry some bacon until crispy and then fry the squash in the bacon drippings with some onions. Once the squash is done, add the bacon back in. Not heart healthy, but very yummy!

I just slice it and then sautee it in a little butter with garlic. I also add in other veggies, like mushrooms, zucchini, whatever I have that sounds good.

Squash Dressing!!

Boil 5 or 6 med. squash in salted water until tender. Drain, and kinda of mash it with fork. Meanwhile, saute 1 onion and 1 bell pepper in 1 /2 cup butter. When this is tender, add cream of mushroom soup.

While all of this is cooking, bake one pkg of Mexican cornbread mix according to directions. When done, add the crumbled cornbread, along with 2 beaten eggs to the first mixture, stir and add seasonings like pepper or Tony Cachere. (May add cheese to mixture or top casserole with cheese.)

Bake for about 30 minutes.

Slap yo mama good!

When I have extra squash i make squash pickles and squash relish. They are both yummy and keep a long time. I can them in pint jars. I can send recipe if anyone is interested.

This is how my mom did it, and I do it now, only I add a little bacon grease, we are from the south you know.:thumbsup2

:rotfl:This must be the oldest and easiest squash recipe in the world. And yes, my mom added bacon grease, too. I did for a long time but now I leave it out. Still delicious!!

We sauté ours in a skillet with a little bit of oil...usually have green and yellow squash and we throw in onion, mushrooms...or any other veggies that we have on hand...little salt and pepper...so yummy...

And this is from a non-veggie eating girl...but I love me some yellow squash.

this is a great casserole.

Squash Casserole

Ingredients:
•2 cups cooked, drained, and mashed yellow summer squash
•1/2 cup mayonnaise
•1/2 cup chopped onion
•1 large egg, beaten
•1 teaspoon sugar
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•1/8 teaspoon pepper
•1/4 cup melted butter, divided
•3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
•2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
•2 tablespoons melted butter
•1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
•salt and pepper
Preparation:
Butter a 1 to 1 1/2-quart casserole. Heat oven to 350°. In a bowl, blend mashed squash with mayonnaise, chopped onion, beaten egg, salt, pepper, 2 tablespoons of melted butter, and the 1/2 cup of the Cheddar cheese. Spoon the mixture into prepared casserole. Top the casserole with the remaining 1/4 cup of shredded cheese. Toss the bread crumbs with the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter; spread over the casserole. Bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned.
Serves 4.
Related Squash Recipes

We were blessed with a huge squash harvest as well. I used a potato peeler to peels some squash. I put a bit of olive oil in a sauce pan and sauteed the squash until they looked like limp noodles. I added my favorite Alfredo sauce and used as a side dish with ham steak. (Even my kids ate it!)

Grilll or saute with some zucchini, red peppers, onion, olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper.

:love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter