what do you do w. your passport once on the cruise?

TigerLaw

DIS Veteran
leave it in the safe? take it w. you when doing shore excursions? (for that matter, when leaving the boat, besides your KTTW card, what kinds of identification DO you take with you?

As a NON us citizen, it is different for us. We have to hand it in at check-in. However we make several copies which we keep at least one of with us at ALL times...

All adults 18 and over are required to show a PHOTO ID along with the KTTW card for getting on/off the ship...We use our license, drivers that is.

I put them in the safe for the duration. We use a driver's license as our ID when we leave the ship.

We put ours in the safe and leave them there. Everyone over 18 yo will need a picture ID and their KTTW card when they leave the ship. We usually take our KTTW card, DL, and one or two credit cards with us. Plus we take a little cash in case we need it. Everything else we lock in the safe. On Castaway Cay we take our DL, & KTTW and that's it.

We are going on a Med cruise this summer and we will still lock our passports in the safe, but I will have a couple of copies that I carry with us.

As a NON us citizen, it is different for us. We have to hand it in at check-in. However we make several copies which we keep at least one of with us at ALL times...

All adults 18 and over are required to show a PHOTO ID along with the KTTW card for getting on/off the ship...We use our license, drivers that is.

why do Canadian's have to hand their passports over? I don't understand that and I have a problem with that. That's your form of id why do you have to hand it over to someone and what do they need to keep it for?

what is KTTW

why do Canadian's have to hand their passports over? I don't understand that and I have a problem with that. That's your form of id why do you have to hand it over to someone and what do they need to keep it for?

what is KTTW

Really don't know the why..But we do..We keep photocopies of it. Actually, it does not bother us, it is safe with them...

Sorry,..KTTW is the Key to the World Card. What you get when you check in..IT is your room key, your charging card (for shopping or buying anything)..It is the cashless chargecard basically...

HTH:goodvibes

Maybe I'm paranoid about all the possibilites of issues that could arise being separated from my passport (accident requiring medical attention while on an excursion, the Carnival ship backing into the Wonder while I'm shopping in Nassau and not being able to retrieve my passport from on board, being wrongly accused of some international incident .... ) with CC being the exception, so I usually take it with me........

what is KTTW

I don't believe DCL is alone in this - and when my parents (Americans) cruised in Europe, they were required to hand over their passports in a similar fashion, so I think it is fairly common.

I don't believe DCL is alone in this - and when my parents (Americans) cruised in Europe, they were required to hand over their passports in a similar fashion, so I think it is fairly common.

I don't know what other lines do this, Princess does not, that I know firsthand. I have heard other lines do this as well.:)

I don't know what other lines do this, Princess does not, that I know firsthand. I have heard other lines do this as well.:)

According to their website, Princess does do this......... SOMETIMES. But they don't say what "ocassions" prompt them to do this.

I block copied the information from their website.

On occasion, non-U.S. citizens and U.S. Alien Residents may be asked to surrender their passport and/or Alien Resident Card at time of embarkation. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection at the time of debarkation.

leave it in the safe? take it w. you when doing shore excursions? (for that matter, when leaving the boat, besides your KTTW card, what kinds of identification DO you take with you?

In U.S. ports my Passport is locked in the stateroom safe. In all foreign ports (except Castaway Cay) I bring it with me. Technically, it is the only legal identification I have in a foreign country. I keep it in a zip lock sandwich bag in my fanny pack.

According to their website, Princess does do this......... SOMETIMES. But they don't say what "ocassions" prompt them to do this.

I block copied the information from their website.

On occasion, non-U.S. citizens and U.S. Alien Residents may be asked to surrender their passport and/or Alien Resident Card at time of embarkation. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection at the time of debarkation.

Ok..I have never read that..I wonder what makes this happen. Perhaps a security feature??..

When we cruised we did not have to, and I had not found that then.. Thanks.

Really don't know the why..But we do..We keep photocopies of it. Actually, it does not bother us, it is safe with them...

Sorry,..KTTW is the Key to the World Card. What you get when you check in..IT is your room key, your charging card (for shopping or buying anything)..It is the cashless chargecard basically...

HTH:goodvibes

I had called Dianey and they told me that they do not take them??? :confused3 But everyone here says they do, So to be on the safe side we are bring extra picture ID.

We are US citizens, and leave our passports in the room safe. However, we do have color copies of the photo page which we take with us when in a foreign port. If you have a copy, it's much easier to get a passport replaced at an embassy/consulate if you get into an emergency situation in a different country, and can't get back to the ship.

why do Canadian's have to hand their passports over? I don't understand that and I have a problem with that...

Not just Canadians - ALL non-US citizens are in the same boat (pardon the pun) and we all have to get up very early on the final morning to go and retrieve our passports from US immigration officials. It's a bit of a bore but a necessary evil, I'm afraid. Just have to make sure you have copies of your passport and additional photo ID if possible...

interesting question--we did a med cruise in 2005 and have also done dcl before (we are us citizens) we kept our passports in the safe. . .i might re-think this after the recent disaster on the sea diamond--should probably keep it with you at all times--on the sea diamond i read that they recovered the passports because they were turned in upon boarding and one of the crew fetched the passports before the ship sank--of course there are conflicting reports so who knows whats true--i'm gonna keep mine and my kids on me at all times!

This is interesting.....we are Canadian.

We are leaving for a 7 night eastern soon. I can understand the PHOTO ID but what about the kids??

Personally, I think passports are too expensive to replace so I intend to keep mine in the inroom safe. I'll keep copies with me. I'll have copies in my yahoo e-mail account and copies with someone here in the U.S. I've never carried mine around in foreign ports. I want to carry as little as possible to deter the pocket pickers.

I'd imagine if your boat sunk which is HIGHLY unlikely that the US Embassy or your country's Embassy will help you find a way home.

Personally, I think passports are too expensive to replace so I intend to keep mine in the inroom safe. I'll keep copies with me. I'll have copies in my yahoo e-mail account and copies with someone here in the U.S. I've never carried mine around in foreign ports. I want to carry as little as possible to deter the pocket pickers.
e.

That was the recommendation from Disney too in my Med info packet. Take a copy and leave the original in your safe.

Linda;)

I've been following this thread. Food for thought. :hourglass

Keep it with you, the ship can sink. Passports are expensive. Keep it in the safe, pickpockets. The only thing I can go with at this point is to make copies and stash them here and there.....:confused:

I did watch a National Geographic where they opened a safe recovered from the Titanic. Turned out the paper was mush. I guess I'll go with my gut feeling at the moment. Thanks for the info .;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter