• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

what do you do to add some magic

Well what I always do before our trip is I make a folder/box for each person in our group and put in:
Our itinerary, Our Hotel Info, General Info, Fun Things, Trivia, etc. And I also include each person's favorite candy - AND I include a little something disney :) ! Then I distribute them on the plane - about halfway through so everyone has something to look forward to/keep them busy!

DH and I are celebrating our 32 anniversary - just the two of us are going this time (we haven't gone just the two of us since our honeymoon in 1977).

I've secretly booked Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party for our first night there. I'll probably pack something simple for him to wear as a costume -- maybe a silly hat or whatever, I don't know! Still working on it.

I have a bittersweet memory of when our youngest daughter decided not to go trick-or-treating with dad anymore -- she had reached the age when she wanted to go with her friends instead.

My husband's yearly ritual was always trick-or-treating with the kids. He'd put the youngest on his shoulders and off they'd go -- friends welcome. I'd stay back at the house and hand out treats. This was dad's night. : )

Halloween was always such a very special time for him. After being on his shoulders, our youngest graduated to trick-or-treating hand-in-hand with dad . . . and then there was a year or two of skipping alongside or ahead of him . . . and then . . .

When she "broke away," which of course all well-adjusted kids will do eventually . . . DH had tears in his eyes. They were tears of sadness and yet tears of joy for having raised a daughter who could fly from the nest as she should.

I will never forget the look in his eyes. I will NEVER forget those tears. That was many years ago, and that was his last year of trick-or-treating.

So, this year, I am bringing Halloween back to him in a very special way. Or I hope so, anyway! I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I am about giving him this special surprise.

Nice thread -- thank you for thinking of it.

OK, that is so sweet. It sounds like it is going to be such a special surprise.

I always like to plan surprises for my DH, its just the two of us and I've really turned him into a Disney fanatic! :cool1: On our honeymoon in Oct 2007, I booked the diver to hold up a sign and the personalized menus at Coral Reef. He was BEYOND surprised. When he saw the diver heading toward our table, he said to me "Jen, it looks like he wants to tell me something! Do you think he needs more oxygen?!?" :rotfl2::rotfl2:
I also had a gift basket with champagne, cheese and crackers, and the Mickey and Minnie bride and groom ears from the Disney Florist delivered to our room at the BCV.
Last year for our 1-year anniversary trip, I had an anniversary cake ordered at 1900 Park Fare.
This year, for DHs 31st bday and our 2-year anniversary, as a surprise for DH, I extended the trip one night and we are staying our last night at the Polynesian, which is our dream resort! :banana: I also booked the Mickey & Pals Big Birthday Wish from the Disney Florist so on his actual bday, our room will be decorated with banner and balloons and gifts from Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, and Pluto! I can't wait to see his face! I also have the Afternoon Tea booked at the GF for our last day and am thinking of having a mini-castle cake ordered.... and I'm already planning on doing the intimate dining at the GF for next year's trip! I'm a disney NUT!!!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Wow! Wasn't there a WDW commercial last year where the parents told the kids they were going to WDW the day of the trip? I remember it being very heartwarming.

How wonderful of you to do this!

Thanks!!! We tried to do this last time (2 years ago) and our oldest found out the afternoon before the trip. I was SO bummed!! His little sister still didn't know but I wanted it to be a complete surprise for both of them. So, we're trying it again. ;) So far so good!

We'll wake them for the airport, tell them and our flight arrives at MCO at 8:15am. :thumbsup2

It's a good way to ensure they get a good night's sleep the night before! Usually when they know we're going away they are awake way too late because they're too excited!

I'm so excited!! This has been a secret since last October!!

Our trip is a surprise for DS9. I hope he doesn't find out. We are leaving at 6pm so he'll go to school and we'll pick him up and go straight to the airport and then off to WDW. Then as a second surprise, we are going on the Wonder also. We won't tell him that until he sees the ship at the port. He'll think we are going home :goodvibes I really hope I can keep this a secret. :cool1:

Well our family leaves in 6 days and it is our boys' very first trip. We have 5 boys between the ages of 7 and 12 and here is what we have for them everyday.

Day 1 - a small backpack with activities for the plain along with some snacks
Day 2 - personalized autograph books with matching bag and pens
Day 3 - personalized water bottles and Pez dispensers
Day 4 - watches and snacks
Day 5 - stuffed character and candy
Day 6 - matching shirts
Day 7 - stuffed character and candy

Everything is wrapped and it takes up 1/2 of a large suitcase......can you say spoiled

We never plan anything special for our trip but last time we ordered these drinks with the flashing Tink & Cpt Hook...we have 2 kids but had 4 glowing characters. On the bus going back to the resort our kids gave theirs to 2 other kids-it was like they gave them a million dollars!! They in turn gave our kids some of their stickers...
We also made an agreement during our 3rd trip of YOAMD. That if we received any of the stuff we already had-we would give it to kids either in the park, monorail or bus. It always nice to be able to share some of the magic-sometimes those smiles are just worth it. ( I guess it's b/c about 11 years ago while riding the bus back from a long day in the park a lovely Australian couple were admiring our daughter who was almost 1 & chatting away with them. They were so taken by her they took the little clip on bear with the Australian flag & gave it to her-she too was thrilled!!!) :goodvibes

DH and I are celebrating our 32 anniversary - just the two of us are going this time (we haven't gone just the two of us since our honeymoon in 1977).

I've secretly booked Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party for our first night there. I'll probably pack something simple for him to wear as a costume -- maybe a silly hat or whatever, I don't know! Still working on it.

I have a bittersweet memory of when our youngest daughter decided not to go trick-or-treating with dad anymore -- she had reached the age when she wanted to go with her friends instead.

My husband's yearly ritual was always trick-or-treating with the kids. He'd put the youngest on his shoulders and off they'd go -- friends welcome. I'd stay back at the house and hand out treats. This was dad's night. : )

Halloween was always such a very special time for him. After being on his shoulders, our youngest graduated to trick-or-treating hand-in-hand with dad . . . and then there was a year or two of skipping alongside or ahead of him . . . and then . . .

When she "broke away," which of course all well-adjusted kids will do eventually . . . DH had tears in his eyes. They were tears of sadness and yet tears of joy for having raised a daughter who could fly from the nest as she should.

I will never forget the look in his eyes. I will NEVER forget those tears. That was many years ago, and that was his last year of trick-or-treating.

So, this year, I am bringing Halloween back to him in a very special way. Or I hope so, anyway! I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I am about giving him this special surprise.

Nice thread -- thank you for thinking of it.

Oh... my... Gawd! I can't believe I'm saying this but you just made me cry!! I NEVER cry!! That's just so sweet!!

Our little princess is still just a baby to us (3, actually), but she's the sunlight in our universe. Reading your post flashed me back to her first trick-or-treat, walking from house to house, hand in hand with her Daddy, freezing her tutu-ed little tushy off (she was a fairy princess that year...). It made me CRY reading your post because.... well.... I dunno.... I guess I just get all gushy about that stuff...

Anyway... thanks for giving me that little moment...

I see lots of great ideas!

I wish I had been able to keep a secret from the kiddos - I canNOT keep secrets! WEll - sometimes - but not this time - I was too excited. Of course the long drive would clue them in anyway...

BUt the fairy godmailers last year was so special & then Tink - they still talk about Tink - & argue which days she came!

I've only planned a little so far - picked up a couple Tink gifts & I've ordered the pearl Carriage cage - think we'll go get the pearl & that night someone will have set the pearl in the cage while they sleep & they will awaken to pearl necklaces - just haven't decided who will bring it (Tink or Cindy - and if they both can come on the same day & do they both have magical powers to come into a room??)

We did a few things as it was our 1st trip. We arranged for the Disney calls(used my Disney Movie rewards pts.), and had Mickey for DS and Snow White for DD call to say they knew they were going on a trip, and to have a special day. We were only staying on-site at ASMo for 2 nts, but we didn't tell them(they just thought we were staying at Timeshare w/in-laws whole time). Since we couldn't get dining plan, only did 3 meals - CM, CP, and CRT(surprises). CRT was the big one, and we told DD that morning that Cindy had called after she went to bed to invite us to Brft.( I think even DS was excited to be going in the castle!) they had helped pick out their auto. books I ordered on EBay, but I got the pins, and put them on the strap of their bags, so they were a surprise. Also, fun things for doing on the plane(like new cartridge for video games, activity books, etc.)

This trip is a total surprise, as we decided to go back for FD, but are just telling the kids we are headed to Myrtle beach(which we will be on way back for a few days). Driving down to take Autotrain, not sure when they will figure it out - getting a few new pins,etc. but mostly surprise of the trip will be huge!(I hope! 2 weeks to go-no clue so far!)

cassie58
11/08-ASMo & Timeshare
8/09-CSR

What are the Disney phone calls? I am trying to figure out how to tell my boys we are going to Disney in Dec. Fri. is their birthday and this would be a great surprise!! How much are they and can you personalize the message or is an automated call? TIA

Love all these ideas!

I am thinking of ordering a cake for our first night there. My kids love cake- I wonder where they got that from? :rotfl2:

One year, I secretly upgrade us from WL to the Poly. Next I ordered a limo instead of ME to get to the resort.

A little background first. Back in 2005 we were eating in the castle and found out my DH's father passed away, so we had to leave our food and everything behind to get home immediately. Well recently DH said he'd like to try eating at the castle again so he could have a positive memory of it. So I went online and as if by magic a CRT reservation was open at the perfect time for us. We'll be eating there this trip.

I'm also ordering a surprise cake with Cinderella's slipper on it for our actual anniversary date. Overkill I know as we'll be on the DxDP, but I couldn't resist.

Still debating on a town car or ME to get to the resort this time.

Magical moments on trips for me are the unexpected ones. And I find they come more frequently when I have a happy, excited attitude. I smile at strangers, tease little ones and make them giggle, pick up dropped toys for busy moms... smile at busy CMs, shrug off annoyances.Magic comes flowing...

I bet you're a fun person to do Disney with! :thumbsup2

I love running into people like you in the parks.

I typically involve my kids in the whole planning experience. We have a lot of fun with family planning nights. For our next vacation though, I'm going to book a hot air ballon ride at DTD and keep it a secret. My kids will love it.

We stayed off property last year. The townhouse we have was great but there was no Mickey! I brought wall stickers for the kids to use in their bedroom...MMC for ds4 and Hannah Montana for ds8. Next year, we're renting a Disney themed townhouse.

I packed Disney tablecloths, napkins, cups, plates, and 8x10 pics for the walls.

I laminated large pics that represented each theme park and stuck a magnet on the back. Each night before bed, we went over our plans for the next day and the kids put the appropriate pic on the fridge, along with smaller pics that represented our ADR, favorite rides and activites at that park.

I pack gifts for them to open each afternoon. One of those afternoon gifts was a Webkinz for each of them. (my kids love Webkinz) I bought plain white webkinz sized t-shirts and ironed on Disney pictyres and the kids names.

For our next trip, I'd like to plan something that will be special for my dh. I'm hoping to find an idea on this thread. :)

Oh... my... Gawd! I can't believe I'm saying this but you just made me cry!! I NEVER cry!! That's just so sweet!!

Our little princess is still just a baby to us (3, actually), but she's the sunlight in our universe. Reading your post flashed me back to her first trick-or-treat, walking from house to house, hand in hand with her Daddy, freezing her tutu-ed little tushy off (she was a fairy princess that year...). It made me CRY reading your post because.... well.... I dunno.... I guess I just get all gushy about that stuff...

Anyway... thanks for giving me that little moment...

Okay so, now YOUR post made ME cry! Thank you for your nice words. :hug:

Magical moments on trips for me are the unexpected ones. And I find they come more frequently when I have a happy, excited attitude. I smile at strangers, tease little ones and make them giggle, pick up dropped toys for busy moms... smile at busy CMs, shrug off annoyances.Magic comes flowing...

"Magic comes flowing" . . .

It does indeed!

What a wonderful post . . . from, obviously, a wonderful person. I hope I run into YOU while I'm there. If I do, I'm sure to walk away with a smile.

You are the personification of "Do unto others." You ROCK!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

I'm getting a Lemo to pick up DD from school. She has no idea we are going to Disney. I will let the Lemo driver give her the MNSSHP tickets for that night. I will have her bags packed and off to the airport we go. 23 more days!!!!

:)
One year, I secretly upgrade us from WL to the Poly. Next I ordered a limo instead of ME to get to the resort.

A little background first. Back in 2005 we were eating in the castle and found out my DH's father passed away, so we had to leave our food and everything behind to get home immediately. Well recently DH said he'd like to try eating at the castle again so he could have a positive memory of it. So I went online and as if by magic a CRT reservation was open at the perfect time for us. We'll be eating there this trip.

I'm also ordering a surprise cake with Cinderella's slipper on it for our actual anniversary date. Overkill I know as we'll be on the DxDP, but I couldn't resist.

Still debating on a town car or ME to get to the resort this time.

Wow -- what a heartfelt post.

My humble opinion:

Town car: As long as you can afford it, GET ONE!

Here's the thing: If, on the day you die, you are blessed enough to have any semblance of memory left . . . you will not remember driving yourself, but you WILL remember hiring a car to make it a very special memory.

Same with the cake. :) You are doing the right thing. It is not overkill at all.

PS: DH is very lucky to have you.

On the airplane, I give my son gifts (tell him its from Mickey), things he can use to entertain during the flight to Disney.
Limo ride to the resort (Mickey Mouse bigger than him in the Limo...he doesn't keep the stuff animal he gets to sit next to him...part of the Limo ride). Gift baskets to be delivered to the room. A couple of cakes during our trips...one is a welcome cake and if there is a special occasion. My husband arrange something thru a giftofalifetime. Usaully we add party night (halloween and Pirate and Princess party)
This trip I have upgraded us to Deluxe dinning, arranging a couple of customized t-shirts, welcome goodies in the room...maybe the monorail chocolate since we will stay at Contemporary. A welcome cake during our first dinner (trying to get a Christmas theme). MVMCP tickets
I love this thread and I'm hoping to get ideas from others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter