What do you do about unwanted emails..

hrh_disney_queen

<font color=red>My DH has the hots for Stacey<br><
from people that you know and love? I get so many of those, "if you are my friend...send this back....", "smile, (this is really cute)"..and I just don't have the time or patience to read them...Half the time, I open them, read a few words...DELETE...
Sometimes I will get the same one from person #1 who received it from person #2-at the same time I received it from person #2!!!

I know I should just tell them that I can't read them all, but I used to be one of those people that sent everything and I had a relative tell me to stop...it kind of hurt my feelings at the time, but now I completely understand.

At the present, I am ignoring my inbox, then when I finally go into it, I just delete the things that sound like junk without opening them......Except my mom sometimes asks me if I got her email regarding____.

What do you do?

I use Mailwasher Pro for all my email. If it is a forwarded joke, etc, I most often delete without reading it. I get too many.

I delete them.

If it's something stupid that Snopes has disproved, I'll also occasionally forward the Snopes link to the whole mailing list that was included on the forward.

I can't stand them.

I, like Dan, use Mailwasher Pro to "screen" my emails. You can set up filters that will automatically delete unwanted emails before they even reach your computer. One thing that this program does is give you the ability to "bounce" emails back to the sender so that your email address appears to be invalid. It's not 100 percent, but it does work. The message they get is similar to what you get back from your mail server if you send an email to an invaild address.

Also, most email programs have filtering capabilities as well. You can filter on key words, senders, etc and have them dumped right into your trash folder.

I do get some that are fwd, fwd, fwd and I just delete them. I can't believe people won't copy and paste. Do you have to pay for Mailwasher or can you d/l it for free? My mom is famous for forwarding junk and jokes on to me. I just delete.

I read them sometimes, but I never "act" on them. I do hate the ones where it "instructs" you to send to 10 people and the person who sent it to you. Then I feel slightly guilty for not sending it back, but I get over it soon after I hit "delete". :teeth:

My 95 yr old uncle sends me these all the time. I never respond, but I always feel guilty. 99% of the time I never read them...just delete. I never see him, but he is a sweety, so I feel terrible. But I don't want to encourage him...altho, not replying doesn't seem to DISCOURAGE him. *sigh*

If it's from a friend I will open it, not read it. Just go to the bottom and return it to them with a thanks. :) I don't delete any kind of mail from friends without at least opening it and seeing what it is.

I delete them - I don't send on ANYTHING that says you must send this on to 7 people in the next 2 minutes or your hair will turn purple.
If the message is really a neat one I will edit out the "you must forward this to 20 people part" and just send a nice story to some of my friends.

If I have recieved one "Life Enrichment" then the other 3 or 4 are deleted!

Originally posted by shelbyjosh
I do get some that are fwd, fwd, fwd and I just delete them. I can't believe people won't copy and paste.

I agree with the above. It boggles my mind how many people don't know how to "copy and paste".

I just spent a few minutes cleaning out my in-box (after not being able to get on-line for 2 days!). I get tons of these from a cousin, who I never see and from one sister-in-law. I HATE the ones that tell you to pass it along - like a chain letter!! I usually read the inspirational ones, but don't pass them along. This SIL was just diagnosed with breast cancer, so I make a point of reading anything she sends to me - don't always respond, but I read them, in case it's something that I realy should respond to.

Just delete them. I NEVER forward those chain letter type e-mails.

Years ago, I used to forward those e-mails but not anymore! I'll open it and then hit delete!

:sunny:

I just open then delete as well, even though I may get the same mail from 5 people all working in the room with me! I don't say anything about it.

On the flip side, I like to send out inspirational stories based on my personal experiences. Like the day I tried compression stockings for the first time, got my fingers stuck in them and the cat jumped onto my back and curled up for a nap! I send them to most of my friends, but they just cost me a friendship. There is one girl who complains that I never "share myself" but dislikes receiving my emails ( they are "confusing and she's tired of deleting EVERY EMAIL" I send ). I included her because I felt I was being rude to exclude her from my "friends". Well this week she finally crossed the line and wrote back asking me to delete her from my address book. After I finished sobbing, I did as she asked but sent a note asking what had I done? She went ballistic on me and I had to choose to sever the relationship.

All because she couldn't handle pressing delete. ( well you know she has issues but you get the idea ) So for me, email is evil this week. However, I received some lovely replies from truly kindhearted people who thank me every time I share with them. I myself am glad when I am included on a "junk email" even though I just delete it. I know that for a moment someone thought about me.
Of course I am the bad guy to some of our other friends, but I won't tell them how she treated me because it's between us. It's not fair to start mudslinging. So now everyone's annoyed that I've made them "uncomfortable" :sad2: But I'm fine, thanks for asking! :(

I guess I will just keep on deleting. I couldn't use something that would bounce the email back to my loved one saying the email address was bad, wrong, etc. I am just too much of a sissy to come out and say----STOP SENDING ME THIS JUNK!!! Glad to hear that I am not alone...

Originally posted by hrh_disney_queen
I guess I will just keep on deleting. I couldn't use something that would bounce the email back to my loved one saying the email address was bad, wrong, etc. I am just too much of a sissy to come out and say----STOP SENDING ME THIS JUNK!!! Glad to hear that I am not alone...

You should then set up some filters so they get deleted automatically.

It would be nice if everyone included "JOKE" in the header. Filtering that would be easy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter