What do you call your police officers?

almburr

DIS Veteran
I dont know why I was thinking about this. Do you call your police officers Cops? I know that the term cops is an American one do to the Irish-American cops wore copper badges, and they were nick named the coppers the just cops. Now all are called cops.

Like i said i dont know why i thought of this.

There are many -

"The Fuzz" - don't know the origin.

"The Old Bill"

"Bobbies" - rather old fashioned but still used by the media when talking about how policing was better in "the good old days". (Named from Robert Peel who started the first police force.)

My husband's a 'Bobby' but I'm sure he's been called much worse names!!!!!!!!

Here in Ireland they are called Gardas or guards as the police force is called An Garda Siochana

I have found Sir to be the best way to address them directly. ;)
all joking aside I have to deal with alot of police officers in my job and I'm on first name terms with most of they. Officer is the term I'd normally use until I get to know them.

I hear alot of people here call them Gaffers , i call them the plod squad lol.

Coppers, Bizzies or Rozzers - not sure where Rozzer originates from :)

'Officer' if speaking face to face ;)

cops, although we also have community police officers on their pushbikes too and when i see them i usually start laughing and mutter under my breath nee-naw nee- naw! as it so funny to see them i always imagine a blue flashing light popping out from under their cycle helmets in an emergency.

I have a few choice names for the ones I know, unfortunately its a family board :lmao:

kidding, how about Peelers, the thin blue line, boys in blue??

I call them police, my niece calls them poalice(scottish slang) thats what my mum calls them as well, when she was just about 3 or 4 she was so excited, she said " Aunty Lynne the poalice AND the police were here last night":rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

All Police actually hold the office of 'constable' and that is also the lowest rank 'Police Constable'. Police Officer is also used alot, along with many other terms.

Claire ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter