What do you call a chair hog?

Jsme said:
I would find a CM and tell them and ask them if they would move it. This way when they come back you would not be at fault of the actual move.

I never thought of that strategy but it sounds good. I'm wondering if a CM would take my word and move the stuff. It's worth a try.

I call a chair hog a moron. I move their stuff and plop my butt in the chair.

I wish Disney would put some cubbies by the pool so you could store towels, shoes, etc. as I think that would eliminate a lot of the chairs being used as towel racks.

Jsme said:
I do not think there is a per say policy but I would not move anything unless I had personally witnessed the chair not in use for over an hour then I would find a CM and tell them and ask them if they would move it. This way when they come back you would not be at fault of the actual move.

I really understand how you feel, but honestly, if someone doesn't see me put their stuff gently near the chair, and time marches on......then putting someone's things off the chair is not a bad thing.

No, a CM will not move it. You're going to have to do it, if you want the chair. I certainly would bow to anyone who comes forward within a few minutes, because they were in the pool or potty, but most of the time, their things just sit there for hours. I do tell a CM when I leave, that there are things near the chair that are not mine and they may like to put them away for safe keeping. Remember, I'm nice, not mean.

Tinkerme1 said:
Question: What is "Disney's Policy" about chairs near the pools? Is there anything in writing, on a sign, near the pools?

I usually will stand and wait for 15 minutes. If there are lots of open lounge chairs, with books, towels, etc. on them, and the person doesn't come back, I feel I have the perfect right to move their stuff. Maybe if their stuff is wet when they come back, they'll think twice about leaving it on a lounge chair near the pool! People need to be kind to their fellow passengers, so I won't throw their stuff overboard! :rotfl2:

Either you're sitting in it, near it, or you'll lose it!
Ok - I'm curious, if there are a lot of open chairs why would you need to move someone's stuff...why not just take one of the open chairs? Or did you mean there were lots of chairs being saved and no chairs available to sit?

IMHO - I would wait and I generally ask people in neighboring chairs if they have seen anyone in awhile. I would probably ask a cast member to move the stuff if the person has been gone awhile. But then again, I have been know to put stuff on a chair and go to the restroom...but then I am only gone for an extremely limited amont of time. So, I think you need to give people at least 10 - 15 minutes. We wouldn't want anyone pottying in the pool now would we??? ;)

Linda, you very seldom see a chair that doesn't have something on it by the Mickey Pool. That is where the problem is. There usually aren't many people in them so it is obvious that they are being "held." We usually start in the third row and as people leave, we move up. :)

How many times does this subject need to be talked about?? It will always happen with groups of people, some will follow the rules and some won't.

Hi Linda: I've been on lots of cruises where people just plainly aren't very considerate of others and put their belongings on chairs to save them for hours. It's just not nice. CM's usually won't do anything, since it is personal property.

WaltsGirl: There are lots of "new" cruisers out there who do not know what a chair hog is or the problems it creates. These boards are here to discuss everything, including repeat issues. If you prefer not to read them, you could just skip it and move on, right?

yazee1 said:
I never thought of that strategy but it sounds good. I'm wondering if a CM would take my word and move the stuff. It's worth a try.

CM's have moved things on cruises I have been on because I have watched others request it to be done. I have also watched CMs move things on their own. They have never moved any personal items only disney towels that people sometimes use to save a chair. Sorry for any confusion on my post.

I realize we do repeat things on the boards but I was reading a thread and people were talking about chairs hogs in that thread and I was curious to get others opinions.

I think everyone who cruises should write in the guest survey about getting cubbies installed near the pool. That would greatly reduce the amount of chairs being saved.
I know they really take the surveys seriously, so if we all complain, then maybe they will do something about it.

misseulalie said:
I think everyone who cruises should write in the guest survey about getting cubbies installed near the pool. That would greatly reduce the amount of chairs being saved.
I know they really take the surveys seriously, so if we all complain, then maybe they will do something about it.

That's a great idea! I will be sure to include it in my survey when we go 9/3

Everyday on our cruise there were matching t Shirts that a family had made and had stuck them on about 6 chairs. I never saw anyone sitting in the chairs but from early morning to late afternoon the shirts were there on the front row no doubt! I feel sure they used the chairs at some point but not much. Now that's a chair hog!!! So do you make your matching t shirts double as chair savers????

Their matching shirts were hanging out by the pool.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: O.K. now that is too funny. Their shirts were having fun down by the pool. Where were they?

We were on CC and we were sitting far from the water, so I carried a chair to the water to watch my grandchildern . I went in the water when I came out I couldent find my chair because someone took it and told a lady it was hers. I wouldnt of been so bad but I cant see with out my glasses and they were also put on the ground. I wasnt to happy :furious: :mad:

When we went in our group there was 16 of us. I made a point in the theater that we didn't take up a whole row. We wanted to sit together as a group. So we did 8 in one row and 8 in the row either behind or in front of the other. I also made a point to arrange a time for all of us to meet up and walk in together.

I will say this about pool people, if I am standing there and I watch a chair that is being "saved" for someone who hasn't showed up for an hour or more. Too bad! I have no problem in taking the chair. I may get the evil eye, but I've had it before and it's never hurt me.

Amlee said:
I will say this about pool people, if I am standing there and I watch a chair that is being "saved" for someone who hasn't showed up for an hour or more. Too bad! I have no problem in taking the chair. I may get the evil eye, but I've had it before and it's never hurt me.
Great, than you can help me get a chair too because I am not that brave. :goodvibes :teeth:

Pooh_Friend#1 said:
Great, than you can help me get a chair too because I am not that brave. :goodvibes :teeth:

Stick with me, my friend and we will have chairs!!

:banana: :cheer2: 10 days and counting :dance3: party:

Whoever said 15 minutes?! I am one of the biggest critics of chair hogs, but that just isn't long enough. I have sat in a chair for 2 hours straight before getting up to grab a bite at Pluto's where I had to wait 15 minutes. Had I returned to sit on my chair and eat and found my stuff moved, I likely would have "accidently" dropped my plate on the person sitting there.

Float My Boat said:
Whoever said 15 minutes?! I am one of the biggest critics of chair hogs, but that just isn't long enough. I have sat in a chair for 2 hours straight before getting up to grab a bite at Pluto's where I had to wait 15 minutes. Had I returned to sit on my chair and eat and found my stuff moved, I likely would have "accidently" dropped my plate on the person sitting there.

I would be royally *upset* if I got up to go to the restroom or to get something to eat and come back after 15 minutes to find someone in my seat.

30 minutes to an hour is a good time frame to go by. If nobody has been in the seat for that long then go for it, but you had better make sure it's been that long at least.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter