• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you buy at the parks?

WendyMichaelJohn

Mouseketeer
And how much do you spend each day?

We'll be having breakfast and one other meal at the villa and we're only doing counter service. We're also stashing a few of our own snacks in our bags. We're the type that can eat an eggroll from a cart in Adventureland and be satisfied for hours. In that sense, we're not needing TOO much in terms of park spending money.

That being said, I'm still curious about how much we might spend in the parks each day and what sort of stuff you spend it on. I know it varies by family and by budget, but outside of food, how much does Disney get out of you before you leave the gates at the end of each day? ;)

Shel

Disney gets very little from us anymore, thank you. ;)

We're like you...a small meal at a counter service can hold us all day, espeically in summer. It's not that we're trying to save money it's just that we don't eat as much as most table service restaurants serve. We'll eat at one now and then, but for the most part we get a small meal mid-day and that's about the extent of the spending.

When our boys are with us we spend a tiny bit more on sweets or some small token. I'm sure we're in the minority, but I'd guess we spend $20 or less per day.

We usually do counter service at every meal while there but we try to do at least one or 2 table meals.. We would spend like 60 bucks on food a day if we dont do a table service meal.. That was just me and my husband then before kids our next trip will be te kids first time down..Other then food we spend $$ on shirts,pins,x-mas oraments ,frames, plus my piece of carrot cake from the bakery on the boardwalk..We alwyas get the pics they take of u when u enter each park as well..

I also meant to ask if there is a place I can get a sense of what souvies cost? How much are balloons, for example?

Thanks

Shel

Hey WendyMichaelJohn I just want to tell you first that I also don't like to spend lots of money if I don't have to. Prices for everything are over priced now. In some parks a small sized cup of Dip and Dots is $6.00. Churos are $6.00 and Pretzles can be $4.00. A deep dish Piazza can range anywhere from $5.00-$9.00. Thats as much as I can tell you and I know the prices are rediculus these days.
Hope I helped

-Ametsfan18

We go enough to be past the sovie stage. DD and I always treat ourselves to a T-shirt. I plan to eat at the parks. The first visit with kids I shlepped in snacks, water, you name it. I was miserable. The money I 'saved' was NOT worth it. The only thing we take in now is the bottle straps, those are lifesavers. I budget for the food.

We also do counter service. Four in our family. We plan on around $30.00 per meal and we've been able to pretty much do that. Sometimes sharing food. Sometimes adults ordering from the kids menus. Another $10 - $30 for snacks if you want. However we started bringing our own cracker type snacks with us and that worked great. An ice cream here or there was all we needed. As for souveniers, we let each of our two boys spend $100 and the rest we spend, probably around $300 for a total of $500.00 (for a ten day stay).

We just got back and for us it was a big trip (only once every5 years really) so we spend a little more--we want to do at least one character meal and one meal at Epcot WS as TS. Then, we brought in a lot of snacks. There are fruit stands around too taht we really appreeciated. We would eat breakfast on the go (in the bus) and snack all day and then do CS or TS for dinner. We let the kids get an ice cream/popcorn one or two days. Souvenirs --we decided how much we wanted to spend before we went (kids brought their own $$) and then saved all souvenir buying for our last morning at DD. This helped curb impulse buying and everyone used their $$ wisely. So, you can get out of the parks each day spending little. Have fun!!! :wizard:

Souvenirs start at less than a buck and go up. I agree with the suggestion to decide how much $$$ you want to spend on souvenirs BEFORE you get to the park, and stick to that.

Sorry, I have not bought balloons, but coffee mugs start at around 6-8 bucks. There are all kinds of inexpensive souvenirs such as 3-D postcards (very cute!), candy, pencils, pens, etc. that are only a few dollars. T-shirts (adults) start at about $19 (at least that was the cheapest one I saw over this past weekend when I was at WDW) and go up. I think DH and I spent 8 bucks each for wine glasses etched with Mickey heads. :earsgirl:

We generally don't buy souvenirs so I can't give you a lot of prices (I spent $90 on tea at Twinings last month but that will last me for months! :teeth: ).

I am a souvenir girl.....my first trip to Disney (my Honeymoon in September) I got a shot glass...or toothpick holder as Disney calls them from each partk and my resort......I collect shot glasses so it was awesome to get so many!

Yes, we have sometimes been amazed at what we spent on souvenirs - it's very easy to suddenly realize you spent $100-200 a day without noticing - especially if you buy pins! Man, they are like drugs - a little bag sets you back $100 easy!

Definitlely set a budget for souvenirs. We have started trying $100/child/trip. This not only controls spending, but makes the kids much more selective in what they buy!

For food,the biggest hint is bring water and some Kool-Aid or Crystal Light packets. That can save you $10-20/person/day easy. Eat breakfast in your room.

Googgle around for sites with menus and make a virtual list of food you might buy.

If your party has similar tastes, a single entree at a sit down restaurant is often enough for 2 (they'll usually split it for you too). Buffets can be a good deal too, if you use them as both your lunch and dinner (or breakfast and lunch).

Diet Coke, and lots of it. Not much else. Adult beverages at Epcot.

We always but tee shirts...can never have enough. Even when we go twice a year we always come home with about 20 shirts..about 10 for us and the rest as gifts. We but anything we like...I love the stores in the GF...my DH and I might buy shoes at Bally or clothes in the mens/women's shop. I always get perfume in France and Italy. WDW always has new stuff. We love watches and we also get a watch or two every trip. My favorite watch is the jack Skellington pocket watch...I don't use it, it's still in the box but I'm sure my nephew will love it someday! I also always try to buy a christmas tree ornament with a date on it. We spend most of our money on dinners and wine.

I buy mostly scrapbook stuff, picture frames, photo albums and such. I am also a novice pin collector and usually pick up a few as well.

a mickey mouse jawbreaker on a stick and a shot glass, one for the plane right home the other for college life with the frat.

Planning for our Feb 06 trip, I dug out the bills from our 03 trip. I was suprised to find that we only spent on average of ~$40\day for the 2 of us over 8 days.

The real money was spent at DTD. I LOVE Disney@Home... Between World of Disney and Disney@Home I spent ~$400 there in 03.

I am not a big shopper at home but something happens to me at Disney!! We spend a lot of time in the gift shops! I usually get a t-shirt or two or sweatshirt. Last couple of times a watch. Last time I came home with a snowglobe too. We get several mickey bars while there. We usually eat at one CS and one TS per day. Last year we spent about $75 pp/ day on eating and souveniers. I could spend more on souveniers though! Last trip my DH came and he refuses to eat a overpriced hamburger at the parks - he would rather eat a overpriced steak! So we spent more on food. This trip is DD and I - so we will probably spend more on souveniers!

I think if you have kids & a budget, the smartest thing to do is figure out how much each child can spend on souvies & give them Disney Dollars for that amount. How much anyone spends on souvies is really a personal preference. I don't buy many WDW souvies anymore, but I do tend to buy a couple higher ticket items in Epcot. Someone with young kids may do something entirely different. When DS was at the height of his pin collecting, he could drop $50 at a pin station in 5 minutes. (There's a warning for you if your kids want to start down the Pin Trading road)

We do spend probably $25 a day for beverages & snacks for the 3 of us. We start off each morning carrying one water bottle or soda a piece, but otherwise purchase everything in the Parks. I can't be bothered lugging stuff around, I'd rather spend a couple bucks for the convienence.

I think balloons are about $4. I agree with a set amount for spending before you go. Especially if you have kiddos. It makes it so much easier!! My Dh & I have even started to set a limit. I am lucky that my thing is ornaments & christmas stuff. I can get a lot of it from disney.com. The only things I buy at WDW now are the things I can only get there. Good Luck!!! Have a great trip!!! :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter