What do you bring to the airport for dinner?

frannn

<font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread
We're flying out of JFK, and I've never found anything worth eating at the restaraunts there. I'd pefer to bring dinner (for me & DD9), DH will probably buy pizza or something there. What have you taken that was no problem with security, that you either bought before going to the airport, or made yourself?
Thanks!

My family go-to meal for plane travel (although we usually eat it on the plane) is bagels. Easy to transport....easy to eat...No mess. If we are eating soon after arriving - I just bring it in a separate paper bag - so I'm not stuffing it into any of the other carry-ons. We round it out with some goldfish, cheese sticks and some sort of sweet.

I always pack a sandwich and a protein bar. I also will bring cheese and crackers for snacking, and fruit. Security is always fine with me bringing this in. I also bring my empty stainless steel water bottle. As long as they're empty, security is fine with you bringing them. Just fill them up at a water fountain once you're past security and you're good to go.

It saves a lot of thirsty waiting on the plane if you already have your water with you.

I love the idea of a bagel! It's filling and easy.

Now that airlines aren't routinely feeding customers, security is probably seeing more and more of this.

How about getting a sub from subway or someplace like that. It would be easy to transport.

Maggie

I always make and bring wraps for the three of us. Chicken Caesar for me and DD9 and ham and cheese with mustard for DH. I wrap each sandwich individually in foil and put them in a small thermal lunch bag with a "bubble" ice pack and they stay cold until we get into our seats. I also bring a bag of chips and a cookie or brownie for each of us.

We bring an old crockpot to the airport. There are lots of plugs to heat it up and we leave the crockpot for someone else to take home and reuse.

Are you all saying that you are allowed to bring in unprepackaged food through security?
I have never thought I could do this after 9/11. Can you do it at EWR?
I try to watch what I eat and hate airport food!
Thank you.

We bring an old crockpot to the airport. There are lots of plugs to heat it up and we leave the crockpot for someone else to take home and reuse.

As long as you are being "safe" and don't bring a toaster you are fine. :rotfl:

Thinking of going the wrap option or buying a sandwich. Great ideas, and hoping for some more thoughts. DD9 wants to bring pizza lunchables, but does she have to assemble prior to going to airport, or does she need to put the little sauce packets in her quart size bag for security? I did try to talk her into something more convenient, but she really wants those lunchables, LOL!
Can I bring a chicken salad wrap, or do I need to keep the mayo/dressing separate cause its liquid?

Thinking of going the wrap option or buying a sandwich. Great ideas, and hoping for some more thoughts. DD9 wants to bring pizza lunchables, but does she have to assemble prior to going to airport, or does she need to put the little sauce packets in her quart size bag for security? I did try to talk her into something more convenient, but she really wants those lunchables, LOL!
Can I bring a chicken salad wrap, or do I need to keep the mayo/dressing separate cause its liquid?

You want the mayo/dressing already on the wrap and mixed in, it is no longer considered a liquid then.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/holiday.shtm

As long as her lunchable is still sealed and the sauce is less than 3.4 oz, she would be fine bringing that in.

Another link:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1667.shtm

Are you all saying that you are allowed to bring in unprepackaged food through security?
I have never thought I could do this after 9/11. Can you do it at EWR?
I try to watch what I eat and hate airport food!
Thank you.

Food does not need to be prepackaged at any airport.

The only issues are there are liquids/paste/gel sort of things involved. Things like jars of peanut butter or a bottle of mustard would not be allowed through. Yogurt, anything like that that won't hold it's shape out of a container can't go through either. Naturally drinks all a no-no unless you have an infant or something.

A sandwich, pretzels, fruit, homemade cookies, anything that's not liquid/gel is fine.

Make sure the Lunchable doesn't have a drink with it, if it does they will make you open it and dispose of the drink.
My family doesn't really eat on the plane or at the airports, but I always make sure to take fruit, granola bars, and some type of chips just incase.

Make sure the Lunchable doesn't have a drink with it, if it does they will make you open it and dispose of the drink.
My family doesn't really eat on the plane or at the airports, but I always make sure to take fruit, granola bars, and some type of chips just incase.

You must take really short flights.

That crockpot suggestion was a joke, right :scratchin

You must take really short flights.

That crockpot suggestion was a joke, right :scratchin

We have longer flights - about 3 hours in the air, 2 hours on the waiting side - and we don't do meals, either. I bring beef jerky, cheese sticks or trail mix, and then we buy a drink at the airport.

We do usually stop somewhere in MCO, though, before hitting DME. Not sure if we will this time. Kinda excited to get to AKL!

I always thought that you couldn't bring food through security! Thanks for posting this - these ideas will be helpful for next April when my hungry kids fly out around dinner time!

I have always picked up food from restaurants along the way to the airport (due to dietary restrictions) and have never had a problem getting through security.

We like to bring subs from Subway. They are much cheaper than buying any sandwich at the Airport. I also bring a bag of kettle chips and fruit. We like to get to the airport at least two hours in advance because we can never count on traffic.

My kids enjoy having a picnic at the gate. I also bring plastic, disposable cups and buy 2 of the largest bottles of insanely priced soda and water after we are past security. On the way back through MCO, the kids like McDonalds in the airport food court. It's something we don't have often at home.

My son flew as an unaccompanied minor this past weekend with a 6 am flight. I sent him with 2 pears, crackers, and enough money to buy whatever he wanted at his final destination.

The last time we went, we knew we would be in the air during our typical lunch time. We packed a cooler with pre-made sandwiches, chips and raw veggies. We added frozen grapes to keep everything cold.

The last time we went, we knew we would be in the air during our typical lunch time. We packed a cooler with pre-made sandwiches, chips and raw veggies. We added frozen grapes to keep everything cold.

Good to know about the frozen grapes. I was under the impression anything frozen was not allowed. Great information- thanks.

I work for an airline and fly about once a month someplace with our DD3. We usually pack a PBJ for each of us, some carrots, and granola bars. It pains me to pay some of the prices in the airports.

I know not very creative but easy to pack and taste better when it is "smooshed".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter