What do we need to know about a Mediterranean cruise?

I have found Rick Steves Mediteranean ports book to be extremely helpful. I also used his book for our Iceland cruise. His books are great if your like me and like to DIY. We're doing a very port intensive med cruise in Oct and not doing any tours. Im the type person that would backpack around Europe so I realize DIY is not for everybody, but I do save a lot a money with his advice. Another source is "Toms Ports" its a website with lot of info on med ports.

We also got Rick Steves, but not for ports. I didn't see that one! We got one book for Barcelona, and one for Florence. I spent a summer learning Italian in Florence, but that was in 1989. I was there again with my husband in 1999, but it's been 17 years since I was there last so I thought a guidebook would be good. Amazon has Rick Steves pocket guides, they are actually quite small! :)

Thanks for the info on the Ports book!

We also got Rick Steves, but not for ports. I didn't see that one! We got one book for Barcelona, and one for Florence. I spent a summer learning Italian in Florence, but that was in 1989. I was there again with my husband in 1999, but it's been 17 years since I was there last so I thought a guidebook would be good. Amazon has Rick Steves pocket guides, they are actually quite small! :)

Thanks for the info on the Ports book!
The book is great because it tells you exactly how to get to wherever you want to go from the port. He gives very detailed instructions on how to find trains stations, busses etc, and what things cost. It's been extremely helpful in planning my trips.

Reading Rick Steve's Barcelona book right now. He has great walking tours in his books. And I have enjoyed a few of his recommended restaurants. But I sure can't rough it as much as he does hotel wise. I use Trip Advisor and Google searches to choose a hotel.

If anyone has a chance to do a tour of Cinque Terra, do it! So amazing! You can contact the Cinque Terra National Park system and hire a private guide to meet you right at port. That is in La Spezia. Not sure about Livorno. We normally only do DCL excursions for the convenience and for the fear of being left behind. But that private tour of Cinque Terra was amazing. We are docking in Livorno this next cruise and will do Lucca and Pisa. But if we were docking in La Spezia agin, I think we would do Cinque Terra on own this time. Love that place!

in the Med., if the next stop is reachable by train, I don't worry too much about missing the ship, as worst case scenario, I'm out a night of hotel and a train ride to the next port. For Rome, Livorno or Naples, it's an easy train ride to another stop in Italy. I always research my route/train and plan to be back 2 hours before all aboard time. For some ports like Naples, it's easy to just do a 1/2 day train to Pompeii. Train run every 30 minutes, so almost no chance of missing the ship. Plus, my kids were ready to get back by 2pm b/c of the heat anyway. Rome is quite a ways from the port, and train do get delays, and are super crowded. That is one place I would consider at least a Rome on your own transportation option, if not a full tour. I also recommend Cinque Terre, so amazing. But, logistics can be tough for this, so we did a ship's tour. For those with extra time in BCN, I recommend Fat Tire bike tours. Done it 2X, excellent way to get an overview of BCN. They have kids bikes. Only about $40 or so. My 12 yr old was somewhat scared riding thru the city, so maybe better for 13 yrs+.

For some ports like Naples, it's easy to just do a 1/2 day train to Pompeii. Train run every 30 minutes, so almost no chance of missing the ship.

Wow, that sounds like a lot more fun that the bus. We were only going to do a half day tour of Pompeii anyway, and a train sounds like more fun than a bus, plus we would be able to stay a little longer if we wanted to.

Does the circumvesuviana train ever get shut down due to strike? That's really my biggest worry...although I would imagine if we got off the boat, there would be bus tours available right there. :)

The DCL excursions are expensive, but I'm looking at it more like an insurance policy: I know that they are responsible for getting us back on that boat, one way or another!
Choose your excursions carefully. A lot of people end up spending a lot of money and end up being disappointed. We've done 13 cruises with no excursions and have never once come close to missing the boat. I have seen the boat have to wait on DCL excursions a few times. Why everyone else can make it back on time, but their excursions can't I don't know.
It's very easy to take the train into Rome or Pompeii. Thousands of cruise ship passengers do it every day. Private tours are usually better and cheaper, and they will get you back to the ship on time. There not in the business to make people miss the ship.

in the Med., if the next stop is reachable by train, I don't worry too much about missing the ship, as worst case scenario, I'm out a night of hotel and a train ride to the next port. For Rome, Livorno or Naples, it's an easy train ride to another stop in Italy. I always research my route/train and plan to be back 2 hours before all aboard time. For some ports like Naples, it's easy to just do a 1/2 day train to Pompeii. Train run every 30 minutes, so almost no chance of missing the ship. Plus, my kids were ready to get back by 2pm b/c of the heat anyway. Rome is quite a ways from the port, and train do get delays, and are super crowded. That is one place I would consider at least a Rome on your own transportation option, if not a full tour. I also recommend Cinque Terre, so amazing. But, logistics can be tough for this, so we did a ship's tour. For those with extra time in BCN, I recommend Fat Tire bike tours. Done it 2X, excellent way to get an overview of BCN. They have kids bikes. Only about $40 or so. My 12 yr old was somewhat scared riding thru the city, so maybe better for 13 yrs+.
Isn't there a high speed train from the port to Rome. I believe it's more expensive, but not crowded. Have you tried this?

Isn't there a high speed train from the port to Rome. I believe it's more expensive, but not crowded. Have you tried this?
The train is doable but confusing and you need to navigate Rome well and get back on the correct train. If you speak Italian it would help.

Arrive a day or two early and stay a day or two after. That let's you really explore. Our latest Med sailing was Barcelona-Venice. Plenty of things to do at both ends to justify staying longer.

As others have said, it's very port intensive with lots of walking. I actually lost a bit over 5 pounds on that Med sailing despite all the food I ate. Get really good, comfy shoes.

Use DCL to book excursions. Traffic in major cities like Rome is horrendous. Our Rome excursion was way late getting back to the ship due to traffic, but it waited for us and many other excursions since our guide called ahead and made sure we weren't left behind. After we boarded and got moving, we saw other buses and taxi's pull up at the port, but it was too late for them. If they booked DCL, the ship would either wait or DCL would get you to the next port.

Also, if the port is having bad weather and excursions get cancelled, booking through DCL makes getting refunds and booking other excursions very easy. Don't think it would be too easy with other vendors. DCL may cost more, but the peace of mind when unexpected things happen was worth it in my experience.

We are on the 12 night Med cruise and I would love to lose 5 lbs while onboard. :) When on holiday I eat and drink whatever I want, so hopefully the same will happen for me. :)

usually European strikes are announced in advance. I don't think the circumvensia strikes very often? Here is my prior DIY post. I have more disboards posts on almost all the ports, if you search. There was a thread from a few years back with lots of great info, called Med planning (?)
DIY to Pompeii by train. super cheap and you can decide at the last minute whether you are up for Herculaneum. For kids/teens, definitely Pompeii--they have/will study it in school and it is an important ruin to see. It was #1 place to see on our trip to Europe. For easy DIY--1st, right off the boat, stop in a tourist souvenir shop at the port and look for the cardboard book that has the overlay of Pompeii as it used to look (they also have them for Coliseum). These books are also at the airport. Then walk to the end of the port (pedestrian friendly), cross the small street and buy a ticket from the tobacco stand to/from Pompeii and good for all trams (5 or 8 euros PP), then take tram #1 right there to the circumvensia train station--5 minutes away. Get on the next train to Sorrento (one every 30 minutes). Get off at Pompeii Scavi (means excavation) and walk to front gate--right around the corner and buy your tickets--kids under 18 are free. With that little book, there is no need for a tour--get a map and go to the sites that interest you (or even better, download Rick Steves tours for free). My tweens/teens loved looking at the book and then at the ruins. It is hot and they lasted for 2.5 hours.
There is a café/gelato place inside Pompeii that you can cool down in, plus a few nice café style places right outside the gate where we got slushi drinks. Get back on the train (cross under the station--the train goes the opposite way back). The great thing is, you can decide on the fly if you want to get off at Herculaneum or head straight back for the ship. With DH and I alone, we did both. The next trip with the kids, we went to the ship--they had had enough---and it was a great day. remember to get off at the circumvensia station and get the #1 back--not the main trenitalia statin. We made that mistake--no worries, just hop on the train back 1 stop--15 minute detour to get the next train. It's pretty foul-proof to DIY. This is about the easiest port to DIY and with kids free At Pompeii and Herculaneum, you can save a lot of $$. We felt 100% safe at the port, on the tram, circumvensia train and at Pompeii. have fun! It's a great place. Elaine (ps. when we went in 2013, they also had a 20 euro PP bus to Pompeii at the end of the port, but we wanted the train to be able to stay as long or short as we wanted).

Last edited:
usually European strikes are announced in advance. I don't think the circumvensia strikes very often? Here is my prior DIY post. I have more disboards posts on almost all the ports, if you search. There was a thread from a few years back with lots of great info, called Med planning (?)
DIY to Pompeii by train. super cheap and you can decide at the last minute whether you are up for Herculaneum. For kids/teens, definitely Pompeii--they have/will study it in school and it is an important ruin to see. It was #1 place to see on our trip to Europe. For easy DIY--1st, right off the boat, stop in a tourist souvenir shop at the port and look for the cardboard book that has the overlay of Pompeii as it used to look (they also have them for Coliseum). These books are also at the airport. Then walk to the end of the port (pedestrian friendly), cross the small street and buy a ticket from the tobacco stand to/from Pompeii and good for all trams (5 or 8 euros PP), then take tram #1 right there to the circumvensia train station--5 minutes away. Get on the next train to Sorrento (one every 30 minutes). Get off at Pompeii Scavi (means excavation) and walk to front gate--right around the corner and buy your tickets--kids under 18 are free. With that little book, there is no need for a tour--get a map and go to the sites that interest you (or even better, download Rick Steves tours for free). My tweens/teens loved looking at the book and then at the ruins. It is hot and they lasted for 2.5 hours.
There is a café/gelato place inside Pompeii that you can cool down in, plus a few nice café style places right outside the gate where we got slushi drinks. Get back on the train (cross under the station--the train goes the opposite way back). The great thing is, you can decide on the fly if you want to get off at Herculaneum or head straight back for the ship. With DH and I alone, we did both. The next trip with the kids, we went to the ship--they had had enough---and it was a great day. remember to get off at the circumvensia station and get the #1 back--not the main trenitalia statin. We made that mistake--no worries, just hop on the train back 1 stop--15 minute detour to get the next train. It's pretty foul-proof to DIY. This is about the easiest port to DIY and with kids free At Pompeii and Herculaneum, you can save a lot of $$. We felt 100% safe at the port, on the tram, circumvensia train and at Pompeii. have fun! It's a great place. Elaine (ps. when we went in 2013, they also had a 20 euro PP bus to Pompeii at the end of the port, but we wanted the train to be able to stay as long or short as we wanted).
Thank you this is very helpful. We will definitely be taking the train into Rome. I have read many trip reports on Cruise Critic, and it seems to work out fine. 80.00 dollars for cruise bus vs 15.00 for train is a no brainer for me. Plus the train is faster. I will report back on my experience for those cruising next year. We will also take the train to Pompeii and maybe Pisa. Our cruise visits 8 ports so I have to keep cost under control.

I have seen the boat have to wait on DCL excursions a few times. Why everyone else can make it back on time, but their excursions can't I don't know.

Because it's a group of 40-50 people. That many more chances for an extra long potty stop, someone to wander off to get one last souvenir, drink a beer, lose the bus, etc.

The Naples and the Circumvesuviana trains stations are well known as high pick-pocket areas, similar as NYC subway. If you travel during the day and use reasonable precautions you will be safe. At the Pompeii Scavi stop, you will learn the origin of the Italian word, "graffiti".

In 2007, I saw armed guards patrolling the Circumvesuviana train. I hope it is better these days.

The person that I encountered at Circumvesuviana ticket window did not speak English. I suggest learning some Italian phrases to purchase round-trip ticket.

-Paul

The Naples and the Circumvesuviana trains stations are well known as high pick-pocket areas, similar as NYC subway. If you travel during the day and use reasonable precautions you will be safe. At the Pompeii Scavi stop, you will learn the origin of the Italian word, "graffiti".

In 2007, I saw armed guards patrolling the Circumvesuviana train. I hope it is better these days.

The person that I encountered at Circumvesuviana ticket window did not speak English. I suggest learning some Italian phrases to purchase round-trip ticket.

-Paul
From what Ive read they have kiosks now to purchase tickets.

if you are in Naples on a weekday (and maybe Sat), you can just buy a day pass from the tobacco stand just outside the port next to the tram. The port area is fairly small and it's a straight walk of about 200 feet from ship to tobacco stand. It's about 8 euros and covers the tram and the train to/from. you need cash. we took the tram/cicumvensia (maybe not the correct spelling) in 2011 and 2013. We felt very safe. Pickpockets are everywhere in Europe. Keep $ in moneybelt, or in safe, with pocket change of under 100 euros in wallet/purse. Wear passports or just take your drivers license (which you can afford to lose on the cruise, as long as you don't need to rent a car).
fyi, you can buy some Italian train tickets online. If highly suggest getting at least outbound tickets ahead of time for Pisa and Rome. We would not have made the train to Pisa if we didn't buy online. They are good for 4 hours. Rome usually has a long ticket line. You can also buy tickets at the tobacco store, which not as many know about. Definitely buy Rome online, if possible.
We have done DIY Lucca/Pisa from Livorno. Always go to the farthest place and work back towards the ship when DIY. Lucca is a lovely place, you can rent bikes and ride along the very wide, park-like wall around the city.

if you are in Naples on a weekday (and maybe Sat), you can just buy a day pass from the tobacco stand just outside the port next to the tram. The port area is fairly small and it's a straight walk of about 200 feet from ship to tobacco stand. It's about 8 euros and covers the tram and the train to/from. you need cash. we took the tram/cicumvensia (maybe not the correct spelling) in 2011 and 2013. We felt very safe. Pickpockets are everywhere in Europe. Keep $ in moneybelt, or in safe, with pocket change of under 100 euros in wallet/purse. Wear passports or just take your drivers license (which you can afford to lose on the cruise, as long as you don't need to rent a car).
fyi, you can buy some Italian train tickets online. If highly suggest getting at least outbound tickets ahead of time for Pisa and Rome. We would not have made the train to Pisa if we didn't buy online. They are good for 4 hours. Rome usually has a long ticket line. You can also buy tickets at the tobacco store, which not as many know about. Definitely buy Rome online, if possible.
We have done DIY Lucca/Pisa from Livorno. Always go to the farthest place and work back towards the ship when DIY. Lucca is a lovely place, you can rent bikes and ride along the very wide, park-like wall around the city.
Thanks for all the good tips. The nice thing about our Iceland/Norway/Scotland cruise is that we didn't have to worry about pickpockets. I have a money belt, and I will definitely be on guard. I have a couple of DL's. It's easy to order a duplicate DL online so that's not an issue. I have multiple CC. I plan on taking one CC, DL and little cash into port each day. I don't know about Carnival, but DCL let me call my CC company onboard when I had fraudulent activity in London. I also lost a card in Cozumel and they let me call from the ship.

THANK YOU So much for The information. This is exactly what I needed to know! :) MILLE GRAZIE!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter