What do we miss by using Express?

skiergirl4

Mouseketeer
Our youngest daughter is finally tall enough to fully enjoy Universal, particularly WWHP, and we will be visiting in July with a stay at RPR. We have three girls ages 16, 12, and 8. All of us are huge HP fans and will enjoy taking in as much of the experience as we can. Are there particular attractions (HP or other) that we should use the standby line for once rather than using Express? I’m wondering what we will miss from the queues by using the Express line. Are there other attractions that don’t have anything significant to miss by using Express?

TIA!
We are excited to experience Universal!

Both Escape from Gringotts and Forbidden Journey have ques that are wonderful to see. Right now, the pres-show at Gringotts is not being shown so you will miss that anyway. You may want to wait in the standby line once for each and then after that use your express. It doesn't sound like the standby lines are very busy right now. Hagrids pre-show isn't going on either but there isn't an express line. You have to use the virtual line.

I also have a tripped booked at the end of July. My 15 yr old daughter and I have been several times before but we have never done the Ollivander's Wand Show. I am excited to get to reserve a time just for us. I have heard this is a not to miss opportunity.

Its been a while since I've used the standby queue at either, but I believe Gringotts EP line will take you through most of the same stuff as standby. The banker area of the queue is the one most people want to see, and both lines go through that. You do spend more time in that area in the standby line, but the EP queue is almost never backed up into that room. I think it would be relatively easy to take your time in the EP line in that part, as long as you're diligent about telling people to go around/in front of you.

There's more to see in the Forbidden Journey standby queue, so that's probably the one I would do standby for. Hogwart's Express also has an EP line but I can't remember the differences. The biggest thing in that one is entering through 9 3/4 and the special effects there, but I *think* both queues go through that - hopefully someone else can confirm.

The only other ride in either park that has a standby queue worth seeing is King Kong. There are often scare-actors in that queue, and there are none in the EP queue. That said, my guess is they are not using the scare-actors at the moment so might not be worth the extra wait.

You miss some story elements and a well-themed queue at Mummy. I've never done the standby queue for ET or MIB, but I think there are some things in those. Nothing critical on any of those, but if the standby is short, might be worth trying.

I've seen the comment about Gringotts standby showing a lot more, but I've done both and didn't remember a huge difference. As @nkereina said, the biggest draw there is the banker area and all lines see that.

The EP queue for Kong has a limited view of one of the animatronics and completely misses the other. That said, I did the standby line once and still missed seeing the 2nd one, I have no idea how.

FJ has been mentioned. I think that's about it.

We went though the Express Queue for Hogwart's Express, and we did go through the "disappearing platform."
I concur. We've gone through that area every time we've used EP. IIRC, the EP/Standby merge happens pretty early (into the EP queue) on that ride.

Gringotts the two lines stay side by side once inside. You miss nothing by doing express. Currently no preshows, which really diminishes the experience.

Forbidden Journey- the most recent pre-covid set up had express usually skip the dungeon. It always skips the greenhouse and the room after that. But the trade off was you viewed a separate portrait hall where you could hear better and step to the side to see the full cycle; it was also not a big deal to wait through the full show cycle in every room. Express rarely backed up beyond the last room so lots of people took their time going through the queue while those who didn’t care just walked past. Currently of course you can’t stop in queues to enjoy them anymore. For FJ, express now skips almost everything. You go from the portraits through a door that is normally closed into the last room.

MIB is not doing preshows either but if you’re huge MIB fans it is still neat to see the stuff on the walls, the break room, see the locker room, and listen to the overhead announcements that are all skipped by express.

Spiderman has two completely different queues for standby and express.

Transformers standby sets up the ride. I haven’t seen any of the movies. Every time I’ve ridden it, I either used express, single rider, or the line was short. I rode it shortly after reopening and even though the wait time wasn’t long, because of distancing we walked through the entire queue and now I understand the plot better.

Mummy sb is neat as mentioned above. E.T. standby walks through the forest and you may or may not receive a message from his friend depending on timing.

Just be aware that express for shows does not mean guaranteed entry. It means you get seated first, if you arrive before they open it to standby.

Huge Seuss fans should do standby for the trolley in the sky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter