• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do restaurants have to offer if ..

desamnik

DIS Veteran
you are gluten free? I was recently diagnosed with an autoimmune disease that requires me to no take in any gluten. I've been to WDW many times, but not since this. I know they are helpful with food "allergies", but this really isn't that.

I feel kind of uncomfortable dining out and asking for gluten free food. I guess i'll get used to it eventually, but it seems like a hassle to the wait staff and chef/cook.

TIA

you are gluten free? I was recently diagnosed with an autoimmune disease that requires me to no take in any gluten. I've been to WDW many times, but not since this. I know they are helpful with food "allergies", but this really isn't that.

I feel kind of uncomfortable dining out and asking for gluten free food. I guess i'll get used to it eventually, but it seems like a hassle to the wait staff and chef/cook.

TIA

You do not have to prove you require accommodations they offer. You just tell then and they will help you. It isn't a hassle at all and is becoming more and more common has people deal with the main allergies and the gluten. Just tell them you require gluten free items and they will be happy to assist.

Honestly, gluten free is one of the easier allergies to accommodate. The have substitute pastas and rolls for sandwiches, waffles at breakfast and many of their dishes are already gluten free or easy to remove one item. I ate gluten free on one of my recent trips because of my twins who were nursing and allergic to wheat. There were lots of options.

I feel better about it. I will look at that link and also at the disabilities board, never thought of that ;)

I feel better about it. I will look at that link and also at the disabilities board, never thought of that ;)

When you make a reservation online there is a section to request special needs (allergies and I remember seeing gluten on there). Click that and then when you get to your reservation the Chef will come out and help you find something safe. At the QS places they have books you can ask for and a Chef can also come out. Lastly, email the special diets team and they will be able to give you tons of info. My son has a peanut allergy and they always send me lists of places to find safe snacks, etc and I'm sure they can do the same for you.

Gluten free is easy. You'll have to talk to a chef or manager at each restaurant, so allow for extra time.

What I'm unsure of is whether you can actually follow an AIP (Autoimmune Protocol) diet in the parks. Still researching that.

For clarity, there is no requirement that every item on the menu has to have a gluten free alternative that is the "same" but gluten free- ie specific sauces.

My friend is a chef at very popular restaurant where I live. She is always willing to work with special needs diners to make certain their meal is free of whatever ingredient that causes them difficulties. So don't be shy, she loves feeding people, all people.

Most restaurants have certain dishes on the menu that already fulfill common dietary restrictions. There is often a good number of other dishes that can be prepared with an alternative or have that ingredient removed. However, there are some items that might have hours long preparation - a sauce, a soup, a slow low fire roast, etc. that unfortunately cannot be prepared for it to be safe for certain dinning allergies & sensitivity.

I've seen how upset my friend gets when a diner insists she and her staff 'could have made it that way if they wanted to, they're just lazy'. Trust me the only lazy chefs or cooks are an unemployed one. I do not know how she does it.

So don't be shy, be safe and satisfied!

I work as GM of a fine dining restaurant. We are a farm to table restaurant that caters to many diners with allergies. FIRST OFF. Do not fret. This is becoming more and more common Disney is especially well equipped and will have answers for you on what you can and cannot have. As time goes by even smaller restaurants will become more and more accustomed to it, as it seems that more and more people are eating gluten free. Disney most likely has celiac printed menus for you but I'm not 100 percent sure on that. As far as dealing with your allergies in a less corporate situation. I have some advice....
If you are eating at a fine establishment that understands gluten allergies I always recommend picking out a dish you would like, and then allowing them to offer what they would do to tailor it to you. This is much easier than saying "what can I have on this menu". Because honestly you can have many things. I think it's much more helpful to have a guest say. "I am interested in the Snapper dish, but can that be made gluten free? Are there any hidden gluten allergies"
Many restaurants will offer you something in place of bread. But some will not. Please do not demand something for free. (You are clearly far too considerate for this, but I have had guests try to demand fresh vegetables, as a replacement for bread, for no charge).
Start to understand the difference between "may contain, and cross contamination issues"
For example... The grits we serve as a side dish are indeed gluten free. But we do not process them and they come from a place that does process items with gluten. So although it doesn't contain it, it may contain trace amounts that depending on the level of severity of your allergy could aggravate you.
Finally, be nice. Service professionals won't you to have a wonderful worry free meal. And being nice will go a looong way.
You have nothing to worry about. You are coming from a place of consideration. And as for Disney, they are over prepared for you.

Disney is excellent with gluten free allergies. We have been with someone who could not have gluten and wherever we went to eat with her, someone came out to speak with her and make sure she was happy with her gluten free options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter