What do people usually think of your accent?

Just that it’s a southern or Floridian accent. Then from there you have to hear condescending remarks about Florida and the USA in general as so many Canadians have a bias with those 2 locations. But it’s not about the accent so much as they seem to like that.

When my family and I went to Hawaii about a decade or so ago, my dad was buying some nicer shirts and the man that was helping us asked where we were from based on our accents. When we said New Jersey, he paused and said "But you seem so nice" LOL I think it was because of shows like Real Housewives and Jersey Shore giving us a bad name but the majority of people don't act like reality TV "stars".

Now I live in Maryland and I've had people ask where I'm from since I sound different than a lot of people here, but no one has said anything negative.

I had someone tell me last week that I have no noticeable accent at all, which honestly disappointed me a little. They said DW (who started in LA and moved to western KY when she was 7) has a noticeable southern accent. I come from eastern KY and hoped I kept a little of that, at least.

Last edited:

I’ve lived in northeast NJ my entire life, my accent gets worse if I’m drinking with fellow NJ long timers. ETA my parents were also long time residents, my mom’s family went from Ellis island to jersey city, very heavy jersey accents.

Yes. There are many memes about the Merlin accent. In particular, the mush mouth-words running together.

Try to translate these winners:

moken troll
ten full
tennashu
spinninnanight
hammy downs
runnina tempachur

Yes. There are many memes about the Merlin accent. In particular, the mush mouth-words running together.

Try to translate these winners:

moken troll
ten full
tennashu
spinninnanight
hammy downs
runnina tempachur
Remote Control
?
Tennis shoe
Spending the night
Hand me downs
Running a temperature

I have no accent. Shocking as most of my family sounds like they are straight outta Brooklyn.

I have a very heavy South Philly working class accent. When I was working in the holiday decor design world I often had to present sketches at meetings, and I was told after the first few meetings that perhaps I should take a class to learn how to 'speak correctly.' Luckily, my work spoke for itself and the subject was dropped because I'm proud of the generations of working class people I come from and wouldn't want to lose the accent.

I get a lot of people guess that I'm either from Philly or New York when I'm in, say, Florida.

I have a pretty standard American accent. There are some words and phrases that would give me away if you pay attention.

I'm usually pegged as Canadian when I'm talking to someone on the phone. I do hear it a bit when I say certain words. I do not say oot or aboot. I honestly think it mostly comes from growing up with a parent with an Australian accent and one who has a mish mash of accents based on world wide travelling and living in different locales. I spent time growning up in Australia and went to speech therapy in Kindergarten (in Canada) to lose it. I wish I had been able to keep it.

in the US people usually guess Midwestern or Canadian, in Sweden usually England. I was born in NJ though.

I grew up in north Jersey and we lived in Ohio for 23 years, and folks there always asked if I was from New York City. :upsidedow

I mostly get the comment from people in other parts of the country that they know where I am from. I have a mild Boston accent. I have never had a negative comment, just kind of a smile and a comment of being from Boston.

I have no idea any more. I'm from the North and have been living in the South for a long time, and many people down South say I don't sound like I'm from here. Then I meet people from up North (both US and Canada) who say I have a little twang in my voice. One local girl said I sounded like I was from Europe. I've always figured that I have the typical "TV talk" American accent.

Does the Hudson Valley have an accent? I just call it a “north of NYC” sounding voice. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter