What do kids 10-12 eat at table service restaurants?

afinnteach

Mouseketeer
We are headed to WDW next summer and will have a 10 and 11 year old with us who are used to eating on the kids menus here at home. I know that the kids menus in WDW are for 3-9, so what do you do with that in between age (especially when they are nugget, fries, pizza kiddos). I realize counter service will have that, but we traditionally do 1 sit down meal a day and we are travelling with a big multi-generational family and we are planning our "all together" time for meal times once a day, so skipping table service is a no go. Thoughts?

Thanks!

My kids are younger, but generally ask for scaled-down adult entrees already.

Your kids can order off the kid menus if you/they insist, but the portion size may be small.

My son was 10 on our last trip. He loves steak so he got that often. He is not a very adventurous eater but was able to find something he liked at every restaurant. My daughter is very picky but was still on the kids menu. We do look at the menus before we pick our restaurants and find something that we know they will eat at each one.

My DD orders off the kids menu. She will be 13 when we go next year and apart from the places that sell steak or pasta she will order a kids meal. We will be on DDP and just pay OOP for her kids meal and bank her TS credit and use it toward another adult TS meal.

I've also considered the possibility of feeding them at QS before the TS and then just having them get a dessert or appetizer to share at the meal - I'm not going to have total control over restaurants (big family group, so you have to be fair to everyone) and if we wind up at Sanaa or someplace like that with a more ethnic/eclectic menu - I suppose that is an option?

They can eat off of the kid's menu. Some place might be a stickler and charge more than kids prices for them to eat off the kid's menu and serve a bigger portion (there are many picky adults who report being able to do that) or they may give them the entree but not the bundled drink and dessert for the same price (adults with small appetites have reported that when ordering kid meals in a TS), but Disney is not going to deny a 10 year old mac and cheese or nuggets or pizza at a TS restaurant. If this is about what they want to order more than price I am sure you will be accommodated everywhere. If this is about wanting to spend $8 on an entire meal including drink and dessert at a TS you might find some not willing to accommodate that and it may cost a bit more than kid's menu prices to get your kids fed. You should have no reason to skip TS restaurants or feed them before. Disney is super accommodating and I believe they DO understand kids 9-12 at least are kids - they just want to charge more for them but they are not interested in having them be hungry and unhappy :)

Mine will eat from the kids menu. He's 13. If he's still hungry then he'll get treats in between meals. He's picky. There may be times my 13 year old and 9 year old will split a burger from the main menu. We are paying out of pocket.

Lisa F. That would be great! I don't mind paying more or not getting the kid meal deal - I just don't want to purchase an adult meal that my kids won't eat and/or have them be "hangry". It makes sense that they would be willing to give me mac n cheese or other kid meal at a full price. Just another reason to pay OOP this time instead of getting the dining plan!

If you want to have adults order off the kdis menu, you're likely better off paying OOP. What are your options for table service locations? Are mom & dad nugget, burger and pizza eaters too? If so, pick places that have those things as adult entrees.

My DD isn't a big eater, and she has often ordered a kids meal at a TS place even the last few years (she's 17 but kind of small).

Yes, you will be better off OOP than going with a dining plan.

Be aware that if it's an all you care to eat place, like O'hana, or a buffet, they are charged as adults (not sure if you planned any of those). She & I joke that buffets are not worth it for us, but for our two men yeah, can be worth it! We often share a CS meal, and are very satisfied!

Lisa F. That would be great! I don't mind paying more or not getting the kid meal deal - I just don't want to purchase an adult meal that my kids won't eat and/or have them be "hangry". It makes sense that they would be willing to give me mac n cheese or other kid meal at a full price. Just another reason to pay OOP this time instead of getting the dining plan!
yes, kids who are disney adults but still eat like kids are the WORST value on the DDP. It is like, a great deal until they turn 10 and then not so much. I figured it was more about the latter than the former. I think most disney restaurants will just let them order off the kids menu and be done with it. They won't even ask how old they are I don't think or bat an eye when they order from the kid's menu. What I outlined are worst case scenarios I have seen very rarely reported on the boards. I think mostly disney is interested in making sure the kids are happy, even the 10-12 ones... even if they make the parents pay through the nose. I have also seen reports of those older kids being treated just like the little ones when there is something special at a meal, like swords and wands at CRT etc.

Great thread! My 11 year old isn't too picky, but there are a few places I've booked that I'm not sure whether he'd want to order off the adult menu or the kids menu. Good to know that there is some flexibility.

LSUfan - the adults in the group are definitely not nugget eaters (although I am sometimes!) In fact, my BIL is a chef, so I know they want to eat at some of the more adventurous restaurants. I know we have already discussed Sanaa and that was why I was asking about kids menus and what other people do. It sounds like as long as I am willing to pay, my kiddos can get their pizza and nuggets while we adults enjoy the "finer foods" of WDW!

LSUfan - the adults in the group are definitely not nugget eaters (although I am sometimes!) In fact, my BIL is a chef, so I know they want to eat at some of the more adventurous restaurants. I know we have already discussed Sanaa and that was why I was asking about kids menus and what other people do. It sounds like as long as I am willing to pay, my kiddos can get their pizza and nuggets while we adults enjoy the "finer foods" of WDW!

I think you will do just that! You'll have a good time enjoying some nice foods, and they (Disney) do have a way to keep everyone happy.

Our experience, with a son who has anaphylaxis to dairy and egg, has been stellar. We discovered how good they were when he was 3 (we left our daughter behind nearby with my folks in Florida for a quick trip for 3 days to experience Disney) and they bent over backwards to make sure he could have something not only safe, but good. You can see how many trips I've taken, in large part to the fact that never once has he had a reaction at Disney (unlike other places). They make their money back keeping customers happy! At Boma (he was 5) a chef walked us through the buffet and pointed out everything that was safe and unsafe, then made him salmon on skewers of sugar cane special just for him, along with something else (I forget what), since my son loves salmon.

So I'm sure you'll be fine! Enjoy!!!!

I am taking my picky kiddo to Sanaa. We are going to share the bread sampler (what kid doesn't like white, fluffy, buttery naan bread? You can ask for more than one of the breads you like in lieu of less appetizing ones... so if you wanted to share it for the table and it comes with 5 breads, you can get say 2-3 plain naan breads and give each kid their own naan and share the rest). I am planning to get my kiddo the grilled chicken breast (which he will eat) and a side of mac and cheese (they are like the only one who sells mac and cheese as a side) instead of the rice/ancient grains/veggies, which he won't touch. I'll pay the $3 extra, I don't care, just leave that stuff off his plate :) I think he will do quite well there!

Keep in mind that your kids can get "their pizza and nuggets" ONLY if they are on the kids menu to begin with. I don't know about Sanaa specifically, but not every restaurants have them on the kids menu and therefore they will not be available everywhere.

You need to check out the menus for the restaurants you plan to eat at. Try allears.net, right here on the DIS or on the WDW website for each restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter