What Do I Need To Know About Buying Airplane Tickets?

lizard1

DIS Veteran
Simple, maybe not so simple question. Usually we drive (even the 14 hours to WDW) when we vacation. However, we are considering a trip for next year to Aulani and we obviously can't drive there! It will be about 15 years since DH and I have flown (and it was the ONLY flight we have ever purchased tickets for and flown on outside of any required by the military) and we will have 3 kids with us who have never flown (11, 9, 6). So, what do I need to know about buying tickets? Anything I should watch out for? Any particular carriers to try or to avoid? Any particular sites we should be looking on for tickets? Is there anything that we need to prepare our kids (or ourselves) for that would maybe be obvious to experienced travelers but not to us? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

The airport you'll be flying from could make a difference...they may have only certain carriers flying in and out. Other than that, I tend to stick with the legacy carriers. Yes, there are some low cost airlines, but you tend to get what you pay for. I do fly Southwest and Jetblue with good results. But, they are becoming more and more like 'legacy' airlines!!

You could check out kayak.....they do a decent job of tracking flight costs. Or just go to the airlines' official sites. As far as the actual flying goes, and what to expect....different airlines will have different checked bag policies. Some charge about $25 for the first checked bag, some don't....the majority do. You will each be allowed a personal item (purse, briefcase, backpack) as well as a carry-on bag that goes in the overhead bin. You need to pack that carry-on bag with a change of clothes, 3oz or less toiletries, anything you may need for the first day/night of your trip....just in case your checked bag goes in a different direction than you do. Doesn't happen often, but it can, and you should be prepared.
Those 3oz sizes? Anything that will not hold it's shape if removed from the container must be 3oz or less. And that doesn't mean powder!!! My dh put a travel size Gold Bond powder in his 3-1-1 baggie!! I told him it didn't need to go in there...he said it wouldn't hold its shape if outside the container....silly man! It applies to liquids and gels.
Prepare the kids for security. They will have to go through the scanner by themselves. So, you can practice having them put their carry-on stuff up on the 'conveyor belt' and then walking thru the 'scanner'. It's good practice and they won't be so spooked when they get there. Your kids are old enough to be told what will happen and then understand it. My dd, now 21, has been flying since she was 3 and has had control over her own carry-on bag and been able to get through security on her own since then! It's important that the kids can handle their own bags.....so be sure the carry-on bag they use is not too big for them to lug and put up on the conveyor belt at security!!!
It should be a long flight...depending on where you originate from. It's long even from Ca!!! You may be using an airline that has in seat entertainment. Or it may have overhead movies. Be sure to have ear buds/headphones for everyone. The kids can bring stuff to entertain themselves with. Bring snacks for them as well.
If you have any specific questions, ask away!!!

Even if you research air fares on an all-in-one site, buy them directly from the airline assuming there is not a huge price difference. Although rare, if something goes wrong with a flight where you bought tickets from a third party (not the airline) they and the airline will point fingers at each other for blame and resolution of the problem.

Except for really popular travel dates, try to wait for a sale rather than buy at their everyday low price.

The airport you'll be flying from could make a difference...they may have only certain carriers flying in and out. Other than that, I tend to stick with the legacy carriers. Yes, there are some low cost airlines, but you tend to get what you pay for. I do fly Southwest and Jetblue with good results. But, they are becoming more and more like 'legacy' airlines!!

Prepare the kids for security. They will have to go through the scanner by themselves. So, you can practice having them put their carry-on stuff up on the 'conveyor belt' and then walking thru the 'scanner'. It's good practice and they won't be so spooked when they get there. Your kids are old enough to be told what will happen and then understand it. My dd, now 21, has been flying since she was 3 and has had control over her own carry-on bag and been able to get through security on her own since then! It's important that the kids can handle their own bags.....so be sure the carry-on bag they use is not too big for them to lug and put up on the conveyor belt at security!!!

I know we won't fly Southwest or Jet Blue because neither one flies out of our airport. How would it work if I book two separate flights instead of one with connections if the first airplane would be late arriving? Is there any difference in how it would be handled as I was looking at the possibility of taking a small side trip in a connecting city upon our return from Aulani.

Also, when you say to make sure the kids can handle their bags- I could still help them if they needed assistance at some point (like putting it on the conveyor), right? I'm thinking they could most likely take care of it themselves but want to be prepared. And, is that all there is to security, putting your bags on the belt and walking through a scanner? The last time I flew none of that was in place, so I want to know what I should expect as well!

Except for really popular travel dates, try to wait for a sale rather than buy at their everyday low price.

To the OP, there's no way to predict when a sale is going to occur. Book the flight when you are comfortable with the price.

How will I know when a good time to buy is? I can't buy tickets too far in advance because I won't know until about 4 months out if my husband will have his vacation approved so we can travel or not. So right now I'm looking at February to buy tickets for June travel. Are there any routine sales that occur (like department stores have holiday sales and back to school sales), or is it just random? Is there a time frame I should look at (is it usually better to buy at 120 days, 90 days, 60 days, etc.) or is that random as well?

I know we won't fly Southwest or Jet Blue because neither one flies out of our airport. How would it work if I book two separate flights instead of one with connections if the first airplane would be late arriving? Is there any difference in how it would be handled as I was looking at the possibility of taking a small side trip in a connecting city upon our return from Aulani.

Also, when you say to make sure the kids can handle their bags- I could still help them if they needed assistance at some point (like putting it on the conveyor), right? I'm thinking they could most likely take care of it themselves but want to be prepared. And, is that all there is to security, putting your bags on the belt and walking through a scanner? The last time I flew none of that was in place, so I want to know what I should expect as well!

Not sure what you are asking in the first question. There's no reason to book two flights instead of a connecting one. A late flight on the first leg may still leave you too late to make the connector regardless of how you book it. I would not allow anything less than 1 hour between flights if they are connecting.

As to the second question it's probably best if you visit www.tsa.gov to get an idea about security at the airport. It's not just putting bags on the conveyor and walking through the scanner. It's way more involved than that.

How will I know when a good time to buy is? I can't buy tickets too far in advance because I won't know until about 4 months out if my husband will have his vacation approved so we can travel or not. So right now I'm looking at February to buy tickets for June travel. Are there any routine sales that occur (like department stores have holiday sales and back to school sales), or is it just random? Is there a time frame I should look at (is it usually better to buy at 120 days, 90 days, 60 days, etc.) or is that random as well?

Again, there is no way to predict sales/prices. It's the same as trying to predict lottery numbers. Totally random. It's all dependent on how full a flight is. You are correct in that you should not book tickets until you know if you can actually go.

I would suggest you research some prices now with various airlines to get an idea of what you're up against.

Hawaiian, Alaskan, United, American and Delta are all good choices for flying to Honolulu. Check expedia or kayak, and when you find a flight, go to the airline's homepage to buy.

I know American (at least the formerly USair) doesn't really price cheaper for round trip. You can do an open jaw by picking multiple cities. This way if you want to end somewhere you didn't start it's no big deal. Do put each day's on one ticket, or the airlines won't understand you are changing planes, and all the logistics for that will be on you.

Children as young as six will have much less trouble with security than us older folks that fret. My girls had no troubles when they were young getting through security and passport control at age 6. They were most familiar with the Hawaiian airports, as that is where we usually vacationed. Our rules when we traveled were:
1) They couldn't pack anything they couldn't roll or carry
2) I would supply a packing list, and they were responsible for making sure everything was packed.

Occasionally they would skip something, and surprisingly, they could either live without it or we could get it there.

As for packing for Hawaii. You do need jackets, but not multiple jackets and nothing heavier than tennis shoes. You will mostly be in bathing suits and cover ups. We would often pack for a week with just carry ons. That said, checking a suitcase won't kill you. Since you are going to Honolulu you won't have issues of a bag getting stuck on a neighbor island.

Note that for Hawaii you also need to go through agricultural inspection. That is just for luggage, both checkin, before you check it in, and carryon. It's not for people, and only is looking for produce that might be harboring bugs.

Once you drop your bags you go through security. That's where you pull out laptops, but not tablets, to put in their own bin. Grownups have to take off shoes (unless they are over 70). Everyone has to take off jackets. Jackets and shoes go in one bin. If you have a small carryon, like a purse or a small backpack, put it in a bin. Put the quart size baggie of liquids in a bin. Otherwise, rollerbags and duffle bags just ride through the scanner on their own. Nothing can be in your pockets. Put keys, cellphones and change in a bin with the shoes or purse.

They scan the bags while you wander through the xray machine. Now they are pretty fast, you put your hands up and then they are pretty much done. Once out grab your stuff as fast as possible and retire to the nearest bench to regroup so you don't hold up other folks.

Have a wonderful time in Hawaii.

Not sure what you are asking in the first question. There's no reason to book two flights instead of a connecting one. A late flight on the first leg may still leave you too late to make the connector regardless of how you book it. I would not allow anything less than 1 hour between flights if they are connecting.
I guess I'm asking if there would be any additional issues I could encounter if I book flights separately rather than connecting. As in, if your first plane is late is it treated any differently if you are not able to make the next flight? The reason I would book separate flights is if I would want to stay a few days in another city on my way back- like fly from home to NY and NY to Hawaii then on the way back fly from Hawaii to NY and vacation in NY for 3 or 4 days before flying back home.

As for connecting flights, how long would you recommend leaving considering kids and bathroom breaks and possibly food between flights? Should I aim for 2 or 3 hours between or is that too long?

I guess I'm asking if there would be any additional issues I could encounter if I book flights separately rather than connecting. As in, if your first plane is late is it treated any differently if you are not able to make the next flight? The reason I would book separate flights is if I would want to stay a few days in another city on my way back- like fly from home to NY and NY to Hawaii then on the way back fly from Hawaii to NY and vacation in NY for 3 or 4 days before flying back home.

As for connecting flights, how long would you recommend leaving considering kids and bathroom breaks and possibly food between flights? Should I aim for 2 or 3 hours between or is that too long?

You could just book your individual flights to allow for a few days stop during your trip but have you tried pricing a "multi city" itinerary with all your flights in one go? Might be interesting to compare prices that way too.

Connections? I've done 45 minute ones in Denver. I was alone and I really know that airport. Now that I'm a bit older, I like 1.5 to 2 h, just to keep things calm. We used to like 2 h+ when our two kids were small. Sometimes we needed all that, too!

Save money. Fly mid week...off hours..we like southwest....you could find your airfare first then plan from there...non stop is best for us

If you're on separate reservations for two legs of a continuous flight, you are much lower on the rebooking priority list, except for AA (and in October US) which will link your PNRs automatically - it's part of their OneWorld Alliance booking procedures to allow better interlining (multiple airlines on the same route).

All of the airlines offer multi-city booking choices, where you can pick your origin and destination and put in stopovers as you please. And as the best routes to Hawaii are on the five legacy carriers (AA [American], UA [United], DL [Delta], HA [Hawaiian], AS [Alaska]) you can expect largely similar rules between all of them. Also, it means that you only need to check prices on five individual websites, max, which isn't bad.

The multi-city ticketing is never more costly than a collection of one-way tickets, but it puts you all on one reservation for tracking and fixing problems caused by delayed/cancelled flights, so it makes sense to do it this way.
The minimum connection time (MCT) at most airports is 30-40 minutes. Figure an hour, if all goes right, including bathroom breaks and a quick stop for food, but as you're unfamiliar, two hours may be better. If your incoming flight is late, that two hours can get eaten up as well.

The airliners also do have lavatories on board, and do serve food, particularly on the over-ocean leg. Although airline food isn't the best, it's about the same price for similar quality food in the airport itself.

You don't say what airport you're going out of, but if you look up which airlines service it and at what levels you can get an idea of which ones are going to be best to check. If you don't have JetBlue and Southwest, you're probably in a small airport and may be limited by that alone.

They scan the bags while you wander through the xray machine. Now they are pretty fast, you put your hands up and then they are pretty much done. Once out grab your stuff as fast as possible and retire to the nearest bench to regroup so you don't hold up other folks.

Have a wonderful time in Hawaii.

NO ONE goes through an x ray machine at airport security. You go through a metal detector or body scanner.

I'm going to assume that you want to fly from Hawaii to point A, stay there for a bit and visit, then fly home, to point B, right? If that's the case, no issues at all. As mentioned already, you can book a multi-city reservation with most airlines.
As for the kids handling their own stuff....yes, you can help them put it all up on the conveyor belt. I've just seen too many parents struggling with multiple bags, while the kids are running around, empty-handed!!!! So sure, you go first, help the kids behind you put their stuff up, then go through the scanner, then your dh can bring up the rear, behind the kids. Once through the scanner, go get your bags and immediately head for a bench off to the side. Do NOT stop at the conveyor belt and try to put on shoes and such there....huge no-no!!! Your kids shouldn't have to remove shoes so that's a help.

There are seldom 'sales' for airfares! I bought late Jan airfare because Feb was almost double the cost!!! So, you just have to know what you're comfortable spending. Then buy when you see a good airfare. There is no rhyme or reason to airfare fluctuations. Perhaps airfares to Hawaii won't be as costly as fares to other areas....I have no idea.

As far as time left for a connection goes, I like to have at least an hour. That gives you plenty of time to get off the plane, use a restroom, then get to the next gate. Anything less than that makes me nervous.

Book it as one round trip (or two one ways). Not as two (one nested in the other) round trips or four (end to end) one ways.

With separately purchased itineraries, if the first flight arrives late, you may end up forfeiting the second for not showing up on time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter