• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do I do about buying an annual pass?

babystar

DIS Veteran
I can get a 21 day disney ticket for £238 but am really after a annual pass.

I have heard it mentioned that the rates to convert the ultimate tickets to AP's are not that great, has anyone done this recently and how much did you have to pay?

I cant decide if I will be better off buying the cheap 21 day ticket and upgrading on our first day or just buying a annual pass when I arrive. :confused3

Cheers!

Personally, I would just get the annual pass as most times you lose out with the exchange by upgrading.

Keep an eye out as the US prices are likely to rise in the next few weeks so you may want to buy before that.

Yes I had read about the price increase, I am keeping my fingers crossed that it wont be for another few weeks!

It was the second Sunday in June last year. I bet the same for this year so 10th June.

When Jeanette upgraded her 21 day tix to AP's last Sept she got a better price than buying AP's outright, cost her $93

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2808111

We have 21 day tix this Summer to get free DDP, not sure if we should upgrade or not, we are considering going back Oct/Nov & Easter. We can quite easily not do Disney those trips but if its only $93 each I might be tempted.

Disney won't give you an answer as to how much it costs upgrading to AP

I tried to ask a few days ago

They answered that the upgrade price would be calculated by the CM at ticketing services (TTC or DTD)

There is no real way of knowing how much it will cost you in the end
so it's quite difficult to say if it's best to buy the AP or upgrade from 21 days tix

Hi Folks,

We are planning on doing this upgrade with either my wife's 21day ticket or mine.

We are staying offsite so it will pay for us on the free parking alone. It may save us on some Money too on food and merchandice shopping around the parks.

My question is do you need to take a passport sized picture or Id with you to upgrade, what is required the us site not clear on this. We will do upgrade at downtown Disney guest relations booth on our first full day on holiday to get full value and plan to hit the parks the next morning.

Paul

You will need photo ID - I always use the photo card part of my Driving License.

I believe they need your address so if you took your passport they would need proof of address too.

I never realised you could do this - could possibly have saved some money over the years as we always buy annual passes.

I have never really got my head around the upgrade business but I guess it makes more sense to upgrade before use rather than at the end of the trip - don't they heavily load the first few days?

I was thinking about buying the 14 day UK ticket this time as we are only travelling for one week and might not get back to WDW this year, but I would consider an upgrade if it wasn't too expensive. Is the difference in cost between a 14 day and 21 day ticket likely to make much difference to the upgrade cost?

I appreciate it's all a bit arbitrary, depending on the CM and the exchange rate and stuff, but if anyone has any idea I would appreciate it.

As long as you have used the ticket up and it is still valid you will get the same credit for upgrading whether its the first or last day.

For me the upgrade cost seems to be a bit of luck - last year we only got around $300 for DD 14 day - others have had more.

I would never plan to buy UK tickets for the sole purpose of upgrading. If you have them as part of a package then fine otherwise to guarantee savings you are better off buying discounted MYW and upgrading.

We are planning on doing this upgrade with either my wife's 21day ticket or mine.
Hi Paul,
I would appreciate hearing about your upgrade experience, where? cost? etc. will help myself and others who are going after you.:)

For me the upgrade cost seems to be a bit of luck - last year we only got around $300 for DD 14 day - others have had more.

I would never plan to buy UK tickets for the sole purpose of upgrading.
Where did you upgrade? didn't you try 2 places?

I agree, too much risk buying a ticket just to upgrade, seems to pay off for some but unless Disney publish a price for everyone it doesn't seem a great way.

Where did you upgrade? didn't you try 2 places?

I agree, too much risk buying a ticket just to upgrade, seems to pay off for some but unless Disney publish a price for everyone it doesn't seem a great way.

For DD's 14 day - we tried MK City Hall and they messed it up ended up at guest relations outside to fix it. And it cost around $100 for a 14 day to DVC AP :headache:

This year for upgrading mine & DH's 7 day premium tickets at DHS we were told that all UK tickets couldn't be upgraded then when I pushed they offered a really low amount. Ended up at MK guest services again that day as we wanted to get our TIW card before dinner at WL.

Unless we do the free dining again I would not buy anymore UK tickets with the hope of upgrading - I have lost too many hours now (even if this year I may have save a few $$$)

Thanks for all the reply's.

I think I will just pluck for the annual pass as it sounds like it may take to much of my long awaited holiday time faffing around trying to upgrade.

Cheers all!

Just in case it helps somebody, I upgraded my 14 day ultimate to a DVC AP a couple of year's ago at Downtown Disney. As I had only used the ultimate ticket to enter the main parks and not the premium element, I was permitted to upgrade to just a normal annual pass. I think the cost was around $40, but that included the $100 discount for DVC Members.

I was told before we went to Florida that to get the full value of your UK ticket you need to enter one of the parks first so I left it to the last day of the holiday to do this. Downtown Disney Guest Services seemed to be quite used to doing this and were really helpful.

Thanks for all the reply's.

I think I will just pluck for the annual pass as it sounds like it may take to much of my long awaited holiday time faffing around trying to upgrade.

Cheers all!

Think I will join you in that ha ha.

After reading Elsie's advice looks like 21 day tickets for me and the kids order next week and buy an annual pass for my wife at downtown guest relations on 1st day.

Thanks for the help folks

Paul

Think I will join you in that ha ha.

After reading Elsie's advice looks like 21 day tickets for me and the kids order next week and buy an annual pass for my wife at downtown guest relations on 1st day.

Thanks for the help folks

Paul

when you buy your annual at DTD ask them how much it will cost to upgrade the other 21 day ones, you never know could be cheap!

Has anyone any idea how I can purchase an AP for Typhoon lagoon?? We are in UK and have done Disney enough to miss it this visit and planning to just visit Universal but we all love the waterparks. I can see prices but not where to buy

Thanks x

Has anyone any idea how I can purchase an AP for Typhoon lagoon?? We are in UK and have done Disney enough to miss it this visit and planning to just visit Universal but we all love the waterparks. I can see prices but not where to buy

Thanks x

It looks like they are only available at the gate of each park or any guest relations. Can't see an option for buying online.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter