What do I ask my pedi? (Updated pg 2)

I'd have to ask, because right at this second I can't remember. :blush:

When he started school at 3 1/2, his language level was assessed at a 2 1/2 yr old level. It has steadily increased and progressed since then though.:cool1: He's probably closer to a 5 year old level at this point, if I had to make a guess. He's gotten so much better where his speech is concerned since he started school and I don't know if it's because he's getting more ST, around more kids his age so he HAS to use his words or both. ;)

Well, we finally got an answer from the doctor. He says that most likely, based on what he's seen and the information given to him by us as well as DS's teacher, DS has mild ADD. He recommends that for now, we work with the school to get him accomodations (which he does have in place for next year). The pedi is taking a wait and see approach, to see if another year or two of school and maturation (DS is a bit immature for his age) helps straighten things out.

We had the kindy tour with his classmates the other day..eep! That elem is SO big and he's such a little guy! :faint: I am not ready for him to go to kindy yet. But he was SO excited when he saw the music room and the art room.:thumbsup2

I can remember sending my DD off to kindergarten on her first day! It was traumatic...for me! It's so hard to let your baby go off to school. DD is now in 7th grade...time flies. Having been through A LOT with DD (she has cerebral palsy), I will say that, as a parent, follow your gut instinct. YOU know your child better than anyone. If you feel a second opinion is warranted, then by all means get one. I noticed on your siggie it says you are in the "Heart of Dixie"...do you live in Alabama? If so, there are several places in central Alabama that would be an excellent resource for testing and other information. Best of luck to you and you son! :love:

I remember when it was time to send youngest DS off to kindergarten. I was a mess. Trying to put on the big brave face until he went in, at which point I lost it. DH and I were the last ones, still standing outside the school, after all the other parents took off.

And this was a child who had his own para, and had been to 2 years of SpEd preschool before. No matter. Kg was a big step.

Preschool had been almost as hard. But. It was a SpEd preschool. There were as many staff as students. It was only a half-day. His teacher, my DH had known his whole life.

Next year oldest DS will go to middle school. That's pretty horrifying too. I don't have many fond memories of middle school. Just being in that building makes me twitchy. My understanding of it is- at that school- anyone with a "mild" IEP or a 504 goes to Class Within A Class. They move as a group from one class to the next with an extra teacher. I don't know if I like that or not. I don't know how aware the other students are of what's going on, because in middle school I'm sure that would be an issue. On the other hand, I don't think he would survive the middle school experience I had. Honestly, I haven't heard one good thing about the middle school here. Yikes.

lunapnp--we're in north Texas, actually. :)

BeckyScott--last year, which was his first year of SpEd preschool, was hard. It was only half a day but I was a mess the first few weeks. This year hasn't been so bad but I know next year I'll have to go through that adjustment phase all over again because it's a new school, a BIGGER school and his teacher won't have an aide in the classroom with her to help out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter