What Disney Tip Are you really glad you listened to?

I love this thread!
It also reminds me that I'm older than many of you (my first trip, MK was the only park, lol) and technology has changed and life is SUPPOSED to be easier. That said, if I'd packed all that stuff I'd be so stressed I'd never enjoy vacation.

Certain items are absolutely necessary if you're parents of infants/toddlers. My daughter's first trip was at age 3 months for a family reunion and I clearly remember my husband waking his parents in their room in the middle of the night at Caribbean Beach for the keys to the communal rental van to go to Goodings for formula!! DD is now my travel companion at age 22.:). Poor planning on our part, for sure.

I'm going to tell you; you're in the largest tourist area in the United States. You're not a contestant on Survivor. Anything you want/need is easily accessible in the I-4/192 corridor. Please stop stressing!!

I'm an old mom/WDW vet. Aside from infant/toddler items. Here are the top items you need:

1) bandages-take up no space, pack several sizes. I tried moleskins once, they didn't work for me.
2) extra pair of walking shoes. Whatever your preference, sandals, tennis shoes, flip flops, you name the brand. Florida downpours are biblical. Your shoes will soak immediately even if you're dry with your poncho. Have backup park shoes.
3)Ziploc bags. Enough said.
4)Pepto Bismol caplets. I don't dispense medical advice. However this tiny bottle of stuff relieves all stomach ailments, real and imagined.
5)A good supply of fem products. It's happened to me every single trip! Jeez!!:rolleyes2

I'm sure I'll think of something else!! Have fun with the planning!!

Last year was my first trip ever and I packed everything I could think of to the park it was just to much!This year the things I will def. bring and do.
1. Use body glide on my feet it was the BEST I always get blisters even with tennis shoes this prevented it. You can also put it on your thighs if they rub!

2. Anti bacterial wipes!

3. Disposable placemats (I have a toddler) this def helped keep away some germs!

4. "Mommy hook" I use this to hook my refillable mugs to my backpack or stroller.

5. Have fun!! :)

The absolute best advice I got was to bring two pairs of shoes, and to alternate the shoes daily.

Another tip that was new to me was the Fairy Dust from the barber shop. That was a bit of fun.

We hired an ECV from a nearby vendor. They delivered it to our hotel, and we could use them everywhere we went. My husband twisted his knee on the plane, and ended up using it, instead of me. I was fortunate, because alternating my shoes allowed me to walk refreshed every day. If you have someone who needs an ECV you can rent them in the parks, but once they are gone- they are gone. The company that brought it was super. They even returned to bring a new vehicle when the battery died in Epcot one night. They brought it to us in the park!

I'd like to offer a tip for those with toddler being potty trained, or newly potty trained. The potties scared my dd because of the automatic flush. She refused to use the potty unless i covered the sensor. That was really difficult to do while I was trying to keep her from falling in. So I went to the store and bought "magic papers" that keep the potty from flushing. Small post-its that cover the sensor...they are perfect. Happy Flushing :thumbsup2

Using post it's on the sensor is the BEST! My dd's were both petrified of the auto flush! I bought a big pack at the dollar store and no more tears! I've passed this tip on to many friends....keep it going!

This is all so helpful! I've already killed my phone battery reading all of the great tip! Thanks to everyone

My trip in September this year is my DD 18 first time and My Dh first time. I have been but its been 20 years ago so its like my first time too. Don't remember much at all from that long ago. So i have a question about my 18 year old. I know shes going to have a good time but is there anything that we can do to make it even more special? She has said she doesn't want to do any character dinners or meet and greets (I do though) so what else can we do?:confused3

Strategies have really changed now since there are no more paper fastpasses, and with the addition of FP +

I plan to be at the parks for opening everyday, that way I can get to the more popular attractions before the parks get too busy.

My must haves:
1. My fanny pack. Love to be hands free.
2. Small Sprayer fan. I use the same rechargable batteries my camera uses,
so I put in freshly recharged batteries every day.
3. Sunscreen! Florida sun is brutal.
4. Antibacterial Gel or disposable wipes.
5. Ziploc baggies to put my newly traded for pins in, and one for my cell phone on wet rides.
6. Envelopes pre made out for each day we are there for the Mousekeeper. I put the tip in them before we leave and lock them in the safe when we get to our room. I simply take one out each day for the Mousekeeper. **Remember you may have different Mousekeepers depending on their off days so always leave a tip everyday.**

7. DECORATIONS! I love to decorate my resort room and window.
I also have a dry erase board for my door. I love coming home each night to read the new messages on my board!

You have to do some research on DO's & DON'Ts. Disney doesn't allow tape of any kind. Magents bought at craft stores work great for the doors at the Values. I stick the magnets on the back of my home made decorations. Window clings work great for the window. You can also use that ticky tack stuff. 3M strips work good too.

8. For character autographs buy the big fat sharpies.
It's hard for characters with gloves to hold thin sharpies.

9. If I have an early morning ADR at another resort I grab a taxi.
It's less hassle then using the resort busses.

10. Don't waste snack credits on bottles of water! Water is free at CS locations just have to walk up and ask. TO get the most bang for your $$ on Dining plan snack credits...use them on items that cost as close to $5.00 as possible. Don't waste them on things that are $3.00 or less.

My trip in September this year is my DD 18 first time and My Dh first time. I have been but its been 20 years ago so its like my first time too. Don't remember much at all from that long ago. So i have a question about my 18 year old. I know shes going to have a good time but is there anything that we can do to make it even more special? She has said she doesn't want to do any character dinners or meet and greets (I do though) so what else can we do?:confused3

Spa

I also suggest NOT bringing your rolls of pennies/quarters in your carry-on either!! I had mine all stored in MnMs containers and we got pulled aside in the bag x-ray line because the cylinder of metal looked like a gun cartridge on the x-ray!! :laughing: Oops! Also I've heard that pressed pennies aren't allowed in carry-on luggage, but I had mine in my checked luggage so I'm not certain on this.

Anyone have a problem carrying their pressed pennies back on their carry-ons?

:confused3

This not a tip we were given, but one we found out the head way... If you are visiting with toddlers, make sure you plan a no park day in the middle of your trip. Constant park going really wears out the kids, and causes unnecessary melt downs. Take a day to sleep, swim, visit other resorts, just be lazy. Like I said, we learned the hard way with a double melt down in EPCOT one year. Then my then 4 year old, just slept all day in a stroller, she was worn out by 1 pm !!! We ended up leaving park for the day and went back around 7 so she could do some rides, and see fireworks. Ever since, we plan an off day into our schedule.

Boy has this thread been around for a long time! I posted on here when DH & I shared an account, before we forgot the password. We got lots of great advice.

A couple tips I remember using are:
~ Disney Visa card holders can get a free 5x7 picture every day. Just present your Disney Visa® Card to enter this exclusive Meet & Greet event, offered daily 1pm to 7pm at Innoventions West at Epcot®.

~ buy a blow up bath pillow at the $! store. Use it to sit on while watching parades / fireworks

~buy an over the door shoe organized at the $1 store. Use it to keep toiletries organized and neat. (works especially well if you are staying at a value resort - no counter space)

~bring some empty bags - ziplock or grocery, whatever, but have them to store valuables on wet rides

~bring some water flavor packs

~cooling towels or frozen washcloth in a ziplock baggie, so much easier to carry than the misting fans

Break mid day was a tip we finally listened to and those last days of our trip were so much better...

A few more...

...took a day off when we got home-never been so tired in all my life as when we got back...little depressed, too...it was nice to have an extra day off

...purchasing something (new lotion scent, etc) that I used after the trip-made me remember the fun times we had after the fact

...taking time each day to just sit and enjoy the sights and smells

...NOT doing Park Hopper..felt like I had to hop when I had it

...ordering beverages from Garden Grocer to have in the room after a long day...such a nice treat

...basket to hold all next day essentials on the table-made getting out the door less stressful each morning

...white noise maker- A MUST...my kids snore! :rotfl:

...peppermint foot soak each night in the tub after walking in the park all day=HEAVEN

...two pairs of sunglasses...one always gets lost/broken

...extra suitcase to bring home all the extras that get accumulated

...journal entry every night-it's still fun to look back and read those

...Photo Pass...that way everyone is in the picture

...laying out each person's clothes the night before in the hotel-again, makes mornings so much easier

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter