What Disney Tip Are you really glad you listened to?

These posts have been very helpful!! :thumbsup2 I'm planning for our 1st family trip in March 2012 and already super excited! I've only been to WDW once about 20 years ago - so I feel this is my 1st time as well ;)

Just back from our 1st DW trip. Best tips, in my opinion:
1) Change shoes every other day! Saved my dogs, to be sure!:dogdance:
2) Walking ahead of time to get in shape! I was averaging 1 mile a day before. I'm sure it was more like 10, or it felt like it... I never would have kept up if I hadn't gotten used to walking ahead of time.
3) Explore little nooks and crannies. You never know what magic you'll discover. My favorite? The barber shop in MK, nestled into the far left corner at the beginning of Main Street. We got our sprinkle of pixie dust for our anniversary. My DH is a good sport. They called his pirate dust.:laughing:

Great tips!! I just cruised this thread for the last hour, and cut and pasted my fav tips onto a word doc to share with my family. We're planning a big family trip (20 or so peeps) and I'm in research mode!

I've seen multiple tips on moleskin. What do you do with it? Is it for blisters or preventing blisters and how do you apply it?
Thanks

I've seen multiple tips on moleskin. What do you do with it? Is it for blisters or preventing blisters and how do you apply it?
Thanks

Moleskin was a life saver on our trip. It is meant to prevent blisters, so you would cut out a piece of it and put it wherever your blisters tend to develop. I felt a blister coming on the bottom of my big toe so I put one there for a couple of days and it was fine by the end of the week. It's self-adhesive so you don't need anything to apply it. It's not medicated, just thick padding to prevent blisters.

I did get a blister on the back of my ankle, and used Dr. Scholl's blister defense band aids and it helped on those.

Thanks

Yes. Moleskin is for preventing blisters. Best way to describe it is, it's like a padded band-aid. You can pretty much buy it anywhere. I usually find it where I find all the Dr. Scholl's supplies. You can buy one big sheet and cut it yourself, or you can buy pre-cut packages. You apply it just like you would a band-aid. Peel the back off to reveal the sticky side and apply it where you need it. Most people use it where there footwear (mostly sandals and flip-flops) rubs on there feet. If you know exactly where you footwear rubs, you can apply it before putting on your footwear. Or you can apply it later on in the day if you feel that you might get a blister in a certain area. Comes in handy and has saved me from a blister or 2. :thumbsup2

Just back from our first WDW trip as two adults. Best tips in my opinion are...

-Moleskin. I put this on where I felt blisters developing and they were fine in a few days.
-I usually live in flip flops in the heat but quickly found out with the humidity and amount of walking that no flip flop was going to work. So I wore sneakers all day every day but my feet were fine.
-Invest in good ponchos. I saw people struggling with the dollar store ones but we had invested in good Coleman ponchos and they worked well. Our hoods stayed up and they were long enough to keep us dry.
-use the package delivery service if you are staying on site! I was hesitant to use it for fear my items would be lost or broken, but they all arrived safely the next day (I was told 48 hours) and I was so happy to not have to carry them around at the parks.
-If going to a water park, bring two pool towels from your resort so you don't have to rent them. But be sure to bring them back with you and return them at your resort pool.
-mid-day breaks were very necessary in the heat. We found hitting RD, riding rides and collecting FPs, then going back to go in the pool and relax and returning to the park at night using the FPs worked best for us. We did everything we wanted to!

Parents, Disney is so exciting, that it's hard to believe accidents can happen in the park! When you get your park guide in the morning; make a mental note of the first aid stations. Here's what happened to us.

When DD was about 12, she took a really bad fall off her bike at home and really skinned her knee:sad2: A few days later, we left for Disney. She was so excited to see a character in world showcase, she rans towards him (Tigger), and she fell on that same knee. The darn thing busted open like mad, blood gushing, gross, despite the bandage that was there. She was very upset, and I'm sorry to say, embarrassed, although we had so much help from people around us with napkins, baby wipes, etc. I don't know why but earlier that morning I'd noticed the location of the first aid station (in the old Odyssey bldg):confused3. We got her there right away for fresh dressing, a clean-out, and just to calm her down and not upset other children with the sight of blood. The nurse there was so wonderful and calming.
Epilogue: All was well after some new socks, Disney bandages, and some children's tylenol... :)

My cousin is lucky enough to be a nurse at Disneyland. It's also a great place to get out of the heat and usually all of them have a good cold water fountain.

Well, we just returned 2 weeks ago and I will tell you the tips we used that I found either enhanced, provided ease or more enjoyment to our trip.

1. We rented a car because I got a killer deal through my work for a Kia Sorrento for $163/week inclusive and we were flying into TPA and needed it at least for 1-2 days. We decided to keep it and budgeted for it. HOWEVER, the tips I used were: we did not drive to MK or MK area resorts, HDDR or DTD. We took the boat to DTD, buses to MK (& then boat to HDDR) and all trips were very efficient and speedy. I know part of that reason was because we were there the last week of October and crowds were probably lower. We never waited more than 5 minutes for a bus. I know our experience isn't universal, which is why I was glad we had the car as back up. The only time it was a little "dicey" was coming back from MK at the close and the buses were full and either myself or my DH stood and the other held out daughter so as to only take up one seat. The car came in very handy for Epcot and AK. I know we made it to EP in 10 from POR. Got there early, had AAA Diamond and walked in with the CM's. AK, the same way.

2. We did 2 breakfasts at parks we wanted to visit, thus, "forcing" us to get there early and be there before the crowds. When I say "force" -- we were not under duress...it really added to our enjoyment. We did Akershus and RFC at AK for breakfasts at 8:30. Consequently, we were done by 9:10-9:15 and on our way to fun.

3. We used fast passes like the pros. Considering it was our first trip to WDW, the only way we'd have known the "ins and outs" of using the fast passes (even though they are explained around the park) was this board. Strategy was key. We got a fast pass, then went to the standby for Soarin', BTMRR, Splash, Kali and others several times and it worked out great. It allowed us to ride our favorites several times back to back.

4. We took advantage of MNSSHP to ride to our hearts' content. That party really provided us an awesome opportunity to practically walk on everything in MK and see the sites. I loved going to the party. It was awesome. POTC, BTMRR, SM, everything in Fantasyland....awesome, no waits. Loved, loved, loved it.

5. Bought park hoppers and used them. I'd advise, though, to add them after you get there. The reason we used them, is the opportunity presented itself and that's what worked for us. We had a short day and then we took a quick trip into MK before our ressie at Narcoosee's to ride my DD7's favorite, BTMRR! She loved it. I can see using PH's more when she is older and can go to more of the evening EMH's. They aren't for everyone. Budget for them, if you think you may want them, but add them later.

6. Went to MK more than we had planned. The best laid plans should be those than can change and are flexible. We also took a "day off" in the middle of our trip. We were exhausted because we were newbies that really wanted to see as much as possible because we didn't know if we'd return. We really thought this would be a once in a long time (lifetime) thing; however...that has since changed! :banana:

7. We really took in the sites of each park and each area of each park. We had to laugh at the Smucker's window beside Mainstreet Bakery because Smucker's HQ is in our area and we are so used to it and knowing people who work there. My DD7's classmate/friend is their granddaughter and we forget it's a famous name. I don't think she still believes it is her friend's grandpa that runs the company. She kept telling me I was wrong. LOL The commercials are true! Very normal, wholesome, kind family.

8. We (well, I) made lists for each park. The commercials are wrong. After you win the Superbowl, you just can't hop on a plane and go to WDW without a plan, people! :lmao: I guess if you are a millionaire, then you have a tourguide, so no worries, but the rest of us schmucks need some sort of plan...especially newbies. I'm not saying you have to plan yourself to death, but you do need a strategy. Maybe that is a better word. So, I took the advice of the Dis, got some travel guides, looked on here as well as the WDW site (and other sites...shhhh) and made lists of things that looked "fun/interesting" for OUR family. I had a card for each park. I chose restaurants that looked good to us and made ADR's. Surprisingly, we did most all the things on our lists and got the ADR's we wanted.

9. The silhouettes at MK. Best deal in town. You get 2 silhouettes for $8.00! That's right $8.00. AWESOME. They are speedy and very accurate. My daughter's was spot on!

10. Don't eat yourself to death just because you ended up getting FD with your package. We ate when we were hungry. We cancelled an ADR one day for lunch because we were full from breakfast still (it was our MNSSHP day and we didn't want an evening ADR) We were over by 1 ADR anyway because we had Narcoosee's. We each had 1 CS credit left when we departed. We took our leftover snacks with us to the airport.

11. Use guest services/concierge. They are so knowledgeable. The concierge checked us in the day before departure on our flight, even asked if we wanted to upgrade. Gave us awesome directions to everywhere and a great route to the airport -- no traffic. On our last day we were at MK and our dinner was at AKL at Boma. We knew we weren't going to make it (as much as we wanted to) as our DD and we, as well, were having too much fun at MK. So we went to guest services in MK and they cancelled it for us and got us into...hold on to your britches...'Ohana for that evening, which he, even said NEVER happens. We also used out AAA discount when we could. I also had Landry gift cards to Rainforest I had bought from my daughter's gift card program at school.

12. Took DD to Harmony BBShop for a trim and updo with pixie dust. It was beautiful. Cost $23.00 total and she got lots of compliments. She already has lots of the princess outfits and we knew with her hair (long, thick, curly) pulling it tight like at BBB would be "challenging" and uncomfortable for her.

13. Left before wishes was over. Wishes is beautiful, but to me, kind of nightmarish dealing with the crowds and mass exodus.

14. Took in Main Street Electrical Parade -- too awesome for words!

15. Bought the little card holder necklace from the resort gift shop. No more searching for our KTTW or CC's or anything. Love that little thing. Saved my sanity.

16. Finally, don't despair if something that was on your "to do" didn't come to fruition. I really wanted to see Illuminations, but my DD was tired, so we left after our dinner at Rose & Crown (which was stellar, BTW) I found myself making a mental check list of ...the next time we will have to do such and such. I guess there WILL be a next time!

If I have any other revelations I'll post them, but this has turned into a book as it is! :laughing: But these tips from this board went a long way to enhancing our trip! This board was so invaluable, I cannot state it enough!

9. The silhouettes at MK. Best deal in town. You get 2 silhouettes for $8.00! That's right $8.00. AWESOME. They are speedy and very accurate. My daughter's was spot on!

Hi LisaTC,
What are these? Are these charcoal characature / drawings? If yes, how did you keep them from being wrinkled, bent, etc. throughout the rest of your day in the park and transport them home?

Thanks very much,
Dan

he best tip I was given was: to go to the Disney site and make you own maps with all our must do/see things. I went to the site and sat down with the kids and looked at all the rides and shows and i knew which ones they would be tall enough for and which ones they were dying to do. I knew we wouldn't see and do everything, and this gave us an idea of what everyone "had" do see/do. We got all the favorites out of the way 1st then did everything else. Each time we go we make new maps with our new favorites or things we haven't got to do/see yet.

Hi LisaTC,
What are these? Are these charcoal characature / drawings? If yes, how did you keep them from being wrinkled, bent, etc. throughout the rest of your day in the park and transport them home? Thanks very much, Dan

Here is a example of a silhouette: http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoS9JdsJO_0gAvfOJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3F_adv_prop%3Dimage%26va%3Dsilhouette%26fr%3Dgoodsearch-yhsif%26b%3D1%26tab%3Dorganic&w=3333&h=3300&imgurl=madeinrichmond.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2010%2F01%2Fsilhouette.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmadeinrichmond.net%2Fsilhouette%2F&size=281.3+KB&name=Made+in+Richmond+%C2%BB+Silhouette&p=silhouette&oid=194dbfbd03abae578f4f4baa6b8b1a82&fr2=&fr=goodsearch-yhsif&tt=Made+in+Richmond+%C2%BB+Silhouette&b=0&ni=30&no=4&tab=organic&ts=&sigr=115poo5t7&sigb=13eii2g7j&sigi=11sg6jd62&.crumb=O3A9hhufS7I

They do two by folding the paper in half. They put it between two pieces of cardboard and we got a frame as well and they put it in the frame which has a plexiglass insert. (Even with the frame (Oval, black thick frame, it was only $17.00) WE did it on the way out, but they will ship it to your resort if you are staying on property. The same place also does charcoals and colored (oil?) drawings/portraits.

When my boys were little, I wrapped up little dollar store toys and "Mickey" left them one every night. That is still on of their favorite memories! When I got to go with my friends 5 year old twin girls recently, Tinkerbell brought gifts every night and hid them. They were all from the dollar tree but Tink wrapping paper made them magical. Lots of fun, and really motivated them to get up in the mornings.

They do two by folding the paper in half. They put it between two pieces of cardboard and we got a frame as well and they put it in the frame which has a plexiglass insert. (Even with the frame (Oval, black thick frame, it was only $17.00) WE did it on the way out, but they will ship it to your resort if you are staying on property. The same place also does charcoals and colored (oil?) drawings/portraits.

Thank you very much, Lisa.

That's the one large tip I'm taking away from this increadible thread; take the time to actually visit the different stores on Main Street in MK and others to find these hidden gems. Since my DD is not that much into rides (she's much rather see the shows) and with us there for 2 weeks next spring, we will have the time to explore.

Dan

I am glad I took umbrellas, it didn't rain but I used them for shade while waiting for parades on unshaded benches. :thumbsup2
I strapped a fanny pack to the bottom of my stoller and loaded it with ponchos and first aid: tylenol, antibacterial wipes, husbands extra meds, among others.
Crystal light packets

Crystal light packets

Our family is loving the Mio concentrates. Can't get them up here in Canada, but we buy a handful every time we are in the US. Best thing is that you can make it more to taste; some of us are one squirters, and some of us are three squirters...

Hello, I am a newbie to all of this. This will our first trip to Disney and I have found these discussion boards to be so helpful. I have been very overwhelmed with so much information and I had no idea you had to plan sooo far ahead for reservations to eat. We are going in less than a month. Will it just be impossible to get reservations now? Especially for character dining?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter