What Disney rule did you discover during your planning that is totally ridiculous!

I'm not going to flame you at all, just want to make a few comments in response to those things that you think of as ridiculous.

Just want to add that what may seem completely ridiculous to one person may seem logical to someone else.

The problem with your argument on the DDP is that at one time you could get a room and order the DDP, it didn't have to be a package.

If I have an AP why shouldn't I be able to get the DDP? You used to be able to do it.

But 18% of $0.00 is still $0.00. They may count the infant as a place at the table because they do take up room, but if the infant isn't purchasing a meal, there isn't any tip on that person.

We use the TIW card because we are usually AP holders. So we get an automatic 18% if we are two or three of us. If I don't think the 18% is warranted, I ask the manager to reduce it. No problem. But I do think the servers at the buffets do just as much work getting the tables cleared, drinks refilled, etc.

There will still be a charge for the people who do eat and 18% is added to those amounts even if the guest doesn't plan to tip 18% at a buffet. Lots of times it's earned and lots of times it isn't (not a result of bad service but lack of need - ie you don't need refills on beverages & you don't make multiple trips to the buffet requiring the CM to clear plates).

Plus tips are usually for service to guests - if the infant is sleeping in a carseat, not eating, they are not receiving service so it's odd to count them in the tip aspect of this situation. I get that they need to reserve the seat to place the car seat but IMO, this is like saying a check for 5 people should be subject to auto. gratuity because they are sitting at a table for 6.

I think Disney automatically adds the gratuity to TIW checks b/c some people would tip on the discounted check and not the original check.

...Plus tips are usually for service to guests - if the infant is sleeping in a carseat, not eating, they are not receiving service so it's odd to count them in the tip aspect of this situation. I get that they need to reserve the seat to place the car seat but IMO, this is like saying a check for 5 people should be subject to auto. gratuity because they are sitting at a table for 6. ....

But the infant is still taking up space at a larger table that could bring in greater revenue to the castmembers. So it gets counted, but the tip on the infant is still $0.00 because the infant hasn't eaten anything. But if they do eat something, which they are getting for free, the tip is still $0.00. It all evens out.

And if the guest doesn't think the 18% gratuity is warranted, they can ask the manager to reduce the gratuity.

a little late to the party, but my comments would be...

1) I like the junior idea...my now 9 year olds would have difficulty ordering off the adult menu...nevermind the price! I don't see that changing a ton for next year.

2) If you have an annual pass, you can park for free if you drive.

3) I recognize the 'package deal' thing...but for folks with the vacation club or the annual pass...we still need a dining plan option if we'd like to partake. when I called the main Disney dining line...she had to put it through as a package and quoted me $4000...yes...$4000 even though I already have a room and will have annual passes. I said, "Uhhh....I'll call DVC directly. DVC was able to give me the ad hoc price.

4) Not just at Disney, but at other parks too...sometimes I wonder about the height requirements for rides. I get (and agree with) safety and all...but I've seem some roller coasters with a 44" requirement that are not all that different (minus the upside down thing) than those requiring 54". Sometimes I shake my head at that. But that's also probably because I have twins that are 54" and 48"... :rotfl2:

a little late to the party, but my comments would be...

1) I like the junior idea...my now 9 year olds would have difficulty ordering off the adult menu...nevermind the price! I don't see that changing a ton for next year.

2) If you have an annual pass, you can park for free if you drive.

3) I recognize the 'package deal' thing...but for folks with the vacation club or the annual pass...we still need a dining plan option if we'd like to partake. when I called the main Disney dining line...she had to put it through as a package and quoted me $4000...yes...$4000 even though I already have a room and will have annual passes. I said, "Uhhh....I'll call DVC directly. DVC was able to give me the ad hoc price.

4) Not just at Disney, but at other parks too...sometimes I wonder about the height requirements for rides. I get (and agree with) safety and all...but I've seem some roller coasters with a 44" requirement that are not all that different (minus the upside down thing) than those requiring 54". Sometimes I shake my head at that. But that's also probably because I have twins that are 54" and 48"... :rotfl2:

1. Again would there be some sort of three tiered menu? You just can't say i want to pay less for my 10 year old. And again if the DDP doesn't work don't buy it.

2. AP already have free parking :confused3 Or are you just responding to other threads?

3. So you just had to call the right people, I don't see an issue. :confused3

4. Those heights are set by the manufacturer. They use computer models to factor in all the forces not just if it looks scary or if it is tall. At Kennywood the highest fastest coaster ( a one time record holder) the Steel Phantom has a 48" requirement. The Thunderbolt that is slower and shorter has a 52" limit because of the restraints and the much greater side to side G forces.

There is one attraction though that does use height to restrict younger age groups and that Stitch. There is no safety reason besides the kid running from the show screaming for a 40" (42"?) limit.

I think tipping is a hot topic. I was the OP on it. :-). Not sure how to quote multiple posters so I'm just going to reply. For the person that said we were taking up a bigger table. We were getting that size table as a party of 5 regardless so counting my sleeping infant really didn't take up "extra" space.

For the one that said I contradicted myself by saying 20 is my norm but 18 is too high for a buffet. I don't think it is. If we had incredibly exceptional service at a buffet meal than I would do 20 (not if an auto of 18 is on there though). However we really don't utilize our server at a buffet. I've had more times than not not had my dishes cleared or drinks refilled. Many times I'm tracking them down for my bill. Besides my husband multiple trips are rarely made. Basically we do buffets for the characters. I'm not a big eater and neither are my kids. I think 15 is plenty on a buffet and have read tipping recommendations that say 10! However if my server at a buffet is attentive and on top of it and not as I mentioned before I do tip 20.

http://www.passporter.com/articles/tipping.htm

Regardless if a baby costs $0.00 and therefore the tip is 0 on said baby I find the level of service goes down when people know their tip is included. Therefore as I said I'm anti auto gratuity.

If I have an AP why shouldn't I be able to get the DDP? You used to be able to do it.

People with APs can still get it. They just have their room-only turned into an AP package with dining.

Sounds like the person on the phone was giving you the package price for that room booked through them, plus the dining package.

If you have a DVC room booked through DVC, you *have to* call the DVC number to get the non-package dining.

If we start going with different charges for different height people, different charges for those who can't or don't want to ride certain rides, different price for pregnant women, etc etc etc, we might as well go back to paying PER ride again. Instead of it being all inclusive.

If you're ever having such bad service that you don't want that auto-tip on there, right then talk to the manager. That serves two purposes. One, they can make your experience better right then and there, so that perhaps you will want to tip. Two, they know that you'll be needing to lower or get rid of the tip if the service isn't brought up to proper amounts.

Smoeome
I think tipping is a hot topic. I was the OP on it. :-). Not sure how to quote multiple posters so I'm just going to reply. For the person that said we were taking up a bigger table. We were getting that size table as a party of 5 regardless so counting my sleeping infant really didn't take up "extra" space.

For the one that said I contradicted myself by saying 20 is my norm but 18 is too high for a buffet. I don't think it is. If we had incredibly exceptional service at a buffet meal than I would do 20 (not if an auto of 18 is on there though). However we really don't utilize our server at a buffet. I've had more times than not not had my dishes cleared or drinks refilled. Many times I'm tracking them down for my bill. Besides my husband multiple trips are rarely made. Basically we do buffets for the characters. I'm not a big eater and neither are my kids. I think 15 is plenty on a buffet and have read tipping recommendations that say 10! However if my server at a buffet is attentive and on top of it and not as I mentioned before I do tip 20.

Regardless if a baby costs $0.00 and therefore the tip is 0 on said baby I find the level of service goes down when people know their tip is included. Therefore as I said I'm anti auto gratuity.

In reference to the bolded.....then how do you work it for those who don't like thrill rides and won't ride or those with physical ailments - bad back for example, or those that are pregnant. I think the way they do it makes sense. Too many factors if you base admission on what people can ride.

The problem with your argument on the DDP is that at one time you could get a room and order the DDP, it didn't have to be a package.

I just booked our room + dining package through the passholder site... it's not FREE dining, but we were most certainly able to get the dining plan with our room reservations. Not being able to get free dining with the AP rate isn't an issue for us, as we prefer the room discount as it's more cost effective for us. For us, the DDP is more of a convenience than a discount.

There aren't any tables for five. You were seated at a table that fits six people.

For the one that said I contradicted myself by saying 20 is my norm but 18 is too high for a buffet. I don't think it is. If we had incredibly exceptional service at a buffet meal than I would do 20 (not if an auto of 18 is on there though). However we really don't utilize our server at a buffet. I've had more times than not not had my dishes cleared or drinks refilled. Many times I'm tracking them down for my bill.
Okay, so now I'm not clear if you're referring to one specific incident or if your toddler slept through every buffet :confused3
Besides my husband multiple trips are rarely made. Basically we do buffets for the characters. I'm not a big eater and neither are my kids. I think 15 is plenty on a buffet and have read tipping recommendations that say 10! However if my server at a buffet is attentive and on top of it and not as I mentioned before I do tip 20.

Got that. It's a guide book, not a rule book ;)

Then, again, you address the problem while it's happening!! You don't sit and suffer through mediocre service then either get a manager to reduce the service charge, or pay it then complain online it's a ridiculous rule.

keith-atl said:

For the first several years of its existence, you could get the Disney Dining Plan ONLY as part of a room+tickets package. Just in the last three years or so was it made available to certain specific groups without requiring a ticket purchase: DVC members, certain military, and - wait for it Annual Pass Holders!

When did WDW eliminate the room-only AP 'packages'?

I'm from Philly, so I remember state stores and "beer distributors" all too well. How awesome it was to move to NC and be able to buy beer/wine in the grocery store!

So,inside the park side, I can drink my beer all the way up to the turnstile. And outside the park (pathway/Boardwalk side), I can drink my beer all the way up to the turnstile (I can buy a beer on the Boardwalk and drink it all the way up to the International Gateway) So, in actuallity, the only place I am unable to drink my beer is ... going through the turnstile. :confused3

it's not just Disney.. same at Universal.. we were staying at Royal pacific resort with friends. we each made a cocktail and strolled over to city walk. (where cocktails abound). as we approached the "boundary" there was an employee who made us either chug or throw out our drinks. we were 20 feet from Jimmy buffets, and a free stand offering drinks and tacos, wings,etc. but we could not carry our legal drinks from royal pacific INTO "city walk" .. he told us because it was a different liquor licensce.

ACTUALLY

when my kids were babies/toddlers I was always inclined to tip MORE because they are messy. Honestly, look under the table. There is usually enough for an entire meal under there when you leave. Plus, kids are sticky...especially at that age. Everything has to be wiped down.

OH! BLESS YOUR LITTLE HEART! I love you! when my kids were little, I always picked up around their high chair when we left a restaurant. parents these days, not so much.

as a server, I am amazed. we had a baptism party a few weeks back, and I spent a good 20 -25 mintues on my hands and knees picking up oyster crackers, cheerios, etc. from around all the high chairs. various food particles too big for my vaccuum to pick up.. seriously.. if you dont' pick up the floor after your kids, than do as the PP does, and tip extra!!! this little kid adds nothing to the bill (or the tip) but makes a TON of mess!!!

Exactly my point, there's no one word for you plural. (That distinguishes it from you singular) "You all" is not unversally used. Across America, those who study language take great amusement in the idea that one can identfy where in America a person comes from largely by what phrasing they use to mean you plural.
On the last point you are incorrect. Linguistics FAR predates the internet... ;)

so funny. I grew up in Chicago. while in college, I was "lounging" with an old high school friend, and her "pals". some good looking college types sat at our table, and one of the "pals" inquired "so, where do YOUSE work?" I wanted to crawl under the table.:rotfl:

A: it's a transparent means of making sure the typical server gets a reasonable gratuity from large parties, based on industry-wide experience that large parties tend to undertip (granted, because in the real world large parties tend to be all adults who split checks and undercalculate the / forget / think someone else will tip); it's not a sneaky anything.

:thumbsup2 boy does this happen . often!!! I overhear conversations. as they split up the bill and what was the "intended" tip, and what I actually get.

There aren't any tables for five. You were seated at a table that fits six people.

Okay, so now I'm not clear if you're referring to one specific incident or if your toddler slept through every buffet :confused3
Got that. It's a guide book, not a rule book ;)

Then, again, you address the problem while it's happening!! You don't sit and suffer through mediocre service then either get a manager to reduce the service charge, or pay it then complain online it's a ridiculous rule.

Exactly there are no tables that seat 5. So we were a party of 5 plus an infant making us 6. Therefore we were at a six top no matter what baby or not. As a pp said should they put auto gratuity on if a party of 5 sits at a 6 top?

It wasn't my toddler. If I had toddlers eating and making a mess I have no issue counting them. It was a 3 month old! Asleep the whole meal.

No need to yell about addressing while it's happening....as I said in another post we disagree here. Thats what makes life great we aren't all the same. While not having plates cleared and such is a pain. It's not ruining my meal to the point I'm going to hunt down a manager and complain. BUT it is going to make me not tip as well on a buffet as that is the service they are providing. I find this service becomes worse when the gratuity is already included then when we have gone as a smaller party and the server was working for their tip not just knowing they would get it regardless.

And we did complain.....and had it removed. As for "complaining online" I wouldn't say I'm doing that. Just participating in what was an adult conversation on a message board. So I didn't pay then complain on a message board. Geeseh!!

Yes that one link is just a guidebook. There were several others stating the same. And for all that say I was a server.....well so was I and I never did the auto gratuity. I found that my tips were better when it wasn't automatically put on.

My issue is not tipping people as some seem to think. It is having automatically applied more than anything.

That if you book a room with a cast member discount you can't add the dining plan at full price, you can only add it if a cast member discount is available for the dining plan. You would think they would want our money :confused3

That really makes no sense at all!

There will still be a charge for the people who do eat and 18% is added to those amounts even if the guest doesn't plan to tip 18% at a buffet. Lots of times it's earned and lots of times it isn't (not a result of bad service but lack of need - ie you don't need refills on beverages & you don't make multiple trips to the buffet requiring the CM to clear plates).

Plus tips are usually for service to guests - if the infant is sleeping in a carseat, not eating, they are not receiving service so it's odd to count them in the tip aspect of this situation. I get that they need to reserve the seat to place the car seat but IMO, this is like saying a check for 5 people should be subject to auto. gratuity because they are sitting at a table for 6.

I think Disney automatically adds the gratuity to TIW checks b/c some people would tip on the discounted check and not the original check.

Exactly!!! :-) you said this well! And I was told by the manager that including an infant was at the discretion of the server. Not a rule. Therefor in that nstance she counted 6 and then was a crappy server cause she knew well I'll get my 18% regardless. We experienced subpar service and thought of ourselves as a party of 5 that could reflect our displeasure with a lessened tip. And as a side I was including my non paying 2 year old in the head count of 5 since while not paying or her I was having her eat and participate in the meal. Just saying I do think eating active children should count but sleeping infants not so much. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :goodvibes

My issue is not tipping people as some seem to think. It is having automatically applied more than anything.

I'm not that fond of it either, but it is what it is. If there are 6 people in your party (eating or not) then the gratuity will automatically be added to your bill. It does state that when you go on line and make your ADRs too, though I know not everyone makes their ADRs on line.

You can either avoid all sit down meals or, knowing what it is, deal with any lack of service at the time. There really is no other option.

I'm not that fond of it either, but it is what it is. If there are 6 people in your party (eating or not) then the gratuity will automatically be added to your bill. It does state that when you go on line and make your ADRs too, though I know not everyone makes their ADRs on line.

You can either avoid all sit down meals or, knowing what it is, deal with any lack of service at the time. There really is no other option.

Very true. I guess including the infant was an unknown rule for us at the time. Back then you couldn't do reservations online and it was on the phone. Some were even walk ups! And yeah for the most part it will be added on I suppose. I did find it interesting though that the manager said including any no paying (children under 3) was at the servers discretion. Meaning its not necessarily just automatically put on but up to the server.

We won't bypass sit down as most times we are a party of 4 and this is a non issue and really if the service is bad and I now (learned from experience) that baby or not tip is included in 6. Then I would have complained earlier. Not just waited to reflect displeasure in a tip. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter