• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What DIDN'T you like about POP?

I would be interested in hearing that too. We are staying at the POP this August from the 19th - 25th and with all this negative talk now I am getting nervous. For each person who loves the resort there is someone who hates it. So what is the real story?

Also I am hearing how small the beds and rooms are - do you think that with 4people that will be too many (2 adults, 13 year old, 11 year old) to fit into the beds. I really didn't want to get 2 rooms.

Opinions??

I replied earlier with my thoughts but after reading all these posts I guess I need to consider myself lucky/blessed. I've been during free dining at Pop three times but I've never experienced some of the craziness some people on here describe. I guess since we get up early to make rope drop and walk around the parks a bit after closing, we don't really see the bus issue. Sure I've had to wait before after park closing, but that's expected. I waited when I stayed at the Contemporary too!!!

As for the person that asked about room size - one time we had three adults and a 10 year old child in a room at Pop - we were perfectly fine but we don't live in our rooms during our stay. There was enough room for all of our luggage and goodies we bought.

The chili cheese fries dropped on the middle of the stairs leading up to my second floor room; the gross fries were there our entire length of stay; only two days.

I didn't realize I had to call housekeeping to get it removed. They actually became a source of amusement. I never did call housekeeping and apparently no one else did as well. I wonder how long they remained.

Those chili cheese fries will keep me from staying at POP again; a very bad first impression.

This happened to us at POR. Wasn't chili fries, though. It stayed there 5 days right in front of our room. I know housekeeping was there cause our room was cleaned all 5 days...the mess was impossible to miss.

So this is not a problem specific to POP. :) Can (and does) happen anywhere.

We stayed at POP the first time this past May. We loved it. We had a nice quiet room that wasn't a far walk from anything...I don't think any of the rooms are really that far. The food court had the basics, but what we had was better than the food court at POR where we had always stayed until our May 08 trip. The CM's were wonderful. I, too, have issues with placing the smoking area right outside the doors, but we found this to be the case at POR also.

As far as no water slides, TS, or hot tubs...its a VALUE, people. There have to be SOME differences in amenities between values & mods/deluxes or why the huge price difference? For $80/nt (give or take depending on season) I'll happily do without those things.

I agree also there should be some cover over the bus area...it can be brutal.

We'll be there again this September. :) Would love to stay at POR, but it's not worth $500 to me...and now w/ 2 kids, I think POP is more fun. My DD loved the Goofy water area & the kiddie pool!

This happened to us at POR. Wasn't chili fries, though. It stayed there 5 days right in front of our room. I know housekeeping was there cause our room was cleaned all 5 days...the mess was impossible to miss.
Surprisingly, I don't think it would have happened at Pop Century. I've been up and out early on various days of various stays, and every morning there've been maintenance CMs hosing down the walkways in front of the Pop rooms. Now, it could be coincidence - their days to clean and my days out early might have just meshed, but I don't think so.

Hi, I will be at Pop 8/16 to 8/24. We always stayed at All Star Music.This time we decided to try Pop and am really nervous too.I tried to change to an All Star but are sold out. We love Disney and know we will finally like Pop. Trying something new makes me nervous. I will have a car so will not use the bus. I,ve read that some buildings are far away from the parking lot. Any help and information will be much appreciated, thanks in advance,Vero.

very well just missed a bit. Those on less money can also afford to stay on Disney property, being inside property means they give Disney more money. It opened up a new market just as the mods did when they opened.
Didn't miss at all. I can afford to stay at, well, at least AKL or WL; I can afford to rent points; I can easily afford a Moderate resort. I - along with thousands and thousands of other Disney Guests each year - CHOOSE not to spend money unnecessarily.

The chili cheese fries dropped on the middle of the stairs leading up to my second floor room; the gross fries were there our entire length of stay; only two days.
On the central staircase, yes, it would be genuinely unbelievable that any such mess went ignored for two days. On the outer staircases though, well, the CMs don't generally use them - so wouldn't be aware of dropped food unless alerted by a Guest who'd seen it (especially two consecutive days).

On a more general note, it would probably make sense to bring such matters to the attention of resort management on a timely basis.

Surprisingly, I don't think it would have happened at Pop Century. I've been up and out early on various days of various stays, and every morning there've been maintenance CMs hosing down the walkways in front of the Pop rooms. Now, it could be coincidence - their days to clean and my days out early might have just meshed, but I don't think so.

I've seen them hosing down everything too. LOL At first I thought it rained every night. :lmao: I haven't seen them on the upper floors doing this...only the first floor, though. I could be wrong, but outside my room was never wet, only when I stepped out of the elevator area.

I never had a problem with the noise -- maybe we were too exhausted after a long day at the parks to notice -- but then again, we requested a ground floor room (we were preferred) and we were "around the corner" from the pool - near the ice machine and elevator. Now, I didn't hate it there but I would only stay there again in an "emergency" -- like the emergency being, that was all we could afford and it was the only way I could get to Disney!

Things I didn't like:

1) It seemed as if EVERY OTHER PERSON there was riding on a motorized scooter -- and I am not saying the truly disabled people -- they seemed, in my honest opinion, just lazy! And it NEVER failed that as soon as a bus pulled up, so did a scooter -- which then took time to kneel the bus and load the scooter and then take all of those seats away from other people! Just so annoying!

2) Food court -- It was great except for the crowds which I guess there isn't much you can do about that but guess what almost ran me over in there? A SCOOTER!!!!!!! And then the lady had the nerve to give ME the evil eye -- after she got to her table -- she JUMPED out of the scooter and into her chair! I just cannot take people like that!

3) The pools -- I just stayed at AKL where the pool was INCREDIBLE with a slide and a zero depth entry and 2 hot tubs -- The pools at POP were just so boring and I know people say you aren't at your resort that much - BUT WE ARE THERE SOME TIME and when we are, we want to be able to enjoy it -- which we did -- every nite after the Parks.

4) The rooms -- I hated how small and dark they were -- I loved having a balcony with chairs at AKL just to sit out after my son was in bed and just relax -- even if they had a few chairs outside of the rooms at POP, it would be so much nicer!

When staying at WL last year there is an area outside that is covered with benches by the bust stops, but the actual bus stops are NOT covered and neither is the boat waiting area.

WL has 2 modes of transportation to the MK and one night after park closing it seemed like forever we waited for the boat to take us back to the resort and it's the closest park to the resort.

We also shared bus service with GF and FW and I remember getting on a bus back to the resort that was so crowded they had people standing in the isles you couldn't even move.

So, unless you are going during value season when there are no major deals to the public going on there is a good change the transportation will be a little crazy.

As for me personally, my main worries about POP are the night time noise mentioned (i'm a light sleeper), I did request a quieter area, but that is not guaranteed, and with POP being sold out during my stay that is probably less likely :sad1:

None of the other stuff bothers me as much really. I am not going to let anyone or anything ruin my birthday trip :cool2:

I would be interested in hearing that too. We are staying at the POP this August from the 19th - 25th and with all this negative talk now I am getting nervous. For each person who loves the resort there is someone who hates it. So what is the real story?

Opinions??

I wouldnt be nervous, just go in with your expectations in check. THis is a budget hotel, not the Ritz, it wasnt the best hotel I have ever stayed in, and certainly not the worst.

it worked out to about $77 a night for us for the 7 nights we statyed, so it was well worth it.

enjoy your trip.

Its funny so many people talk about the noise..I am a VERY light sleeper but I have never had a problem with the noise.I think it is still 100x better then staying off property at days inn or even the hilton! If the choice is value or do not go then I say VALUE HERE WE COME! lol I have stayed at AKL,POLY,GF,POR,POFQ,CBR.CSR,ASM,ASMU,ALL STAR SPORTS AND POP and I love them all to be honest...some more then others (AKL is my fav) and liked GF THE LEAST.... we have had issues here and there but lets face it your staying at wdw! What is not to like?:wizard:

I think the busses were crowded... always had to wait in the coral things for several busses to come before we could board. I don't recall ever being able to get on the 1st bus. Maybe it was just the ime of year we went... since it was August during free dining.. (everything was more crowded in general)... But I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again if it were at a slower time of year... It's (I like to describe it as No Frills)... and for those who post and said they don't like it because theres no slide or table service or fridge... that's why it's a value... if you want that, you have to book a moderate or better... For us... if you don't spend a lot of time in the resort.. and just need a place to change / sleep / shower... it fits the bill.... OH... and we did stay there for the slurpee machine... but I understand it's gone now... We would stay there again but they don't accomodate 6 people.

1) It seemed as if EVERY OTHER PERSON there was riding on a motorized scooter -- and I am not saying the truly disabled people -- they seemed, in my honest opinion, just lazy! And it NEVER failed that as soon as a bus pulled up, so did a scooter -- which then took time to kneel the bus and load the scooter and then take all of those seats away from other people! Just so annoying!

Amazing! I really thought my family was the only one bothered by this. My issue wasn't the amount of people on scooters, but the 15 family members that got to cut in line with them for being on a scooter. I can see one going, but the rest should have to wait in line. Or better yet, the people on the scooter stay to the side while the family members wait in line, then they all board when it's their turn. That's really my only issue with the transportation. It really should be first come first serve.

We weren't bothered by too much at Pop. Sure it's a bit noisy and the smoking section is gross, but you can easily scoot past that. The gift shop is so so. I'd much rather shop at Mouse Gear or in Toontown. If you're going to MK, just get a pastry for breakfast on Main Street. And for our family, the pools are fine. My DCs are too young to know the difference. :goodvibes

Are you calling me a liar!?! I didn't imagine those chili cheese fries.

On the central staircase, yes, it would be genuinely unbelievable that any such mess went ignored for two days. On the outer staircases though, well, the CMs don't generally use them - so wouldn't be aware of dropped food unless alerted by a Guest who'd seen it (especially two consecutive days).

On a more general note, it would probably make sense to bring such matters to the attention of resort management on a timely basis.

Next time I'll take a picture for the Disney apologists; a picture of dropped chili fries on the stairs at Pop.

Also I am hearing how small the beds and rooms are - do you think that with 4people that will be too many (2 adults, 13 year old, 11 year old) to fit into the beds. I really didn't want to get 2 rooms.

Opinions??

Hi Momfor2kids.

...I *think* you are hearing the negatives on this thread because the OP asked for people to post what they DIDN'T like..I think you will like it....
I loved it.....even better than the contemp. If I had to complain about something I guess I could say....They didnt serve Filet Mignon in the food court. But then again I wasnt expecting that.. Really have nothing other than that to contribute...

:-)tiptoe: secretly glad everyone likes ALL STARs ...more pop for me!)
Read my trippie in my siggie for more WONDERFUL Pop reviews...BUT as I have said... I wont be a thread hijacker....because the topic was what you DIDNT like..and as I said...there wasnt really a single thing! :hippie: peaceout

To the folks who are nervous about going to POP now, in all fairness, the OP asked what we DIDN'T like about POP. I love POP, have stayed there many times, and wouldn't hesitate to stay again, but I don't like the smokiness. This doesn't mean I don't like POP, I was just answering the OPs question. :goodvibes (I would choose any of the AllStars over POP, but I still think POP is a cool place to stay!)

This is silly, but we stayed in the 60's building and there were bushes surrounding the yo-yo stairs we used and they smelled awful! We would hold our breath until we got past them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter