What did your teens love that did/did not surprise you?

teach65

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!
We are headed back to Disney for the first time in 7 years with our two dd's ages 16 and 14. Needless to say our trip will be much different than last time (no princess dinners!)
I'm not sure what to expect. What did your teens love that did/did not surprise you? Anything they disliked?
Thanks!

We saw Cirque this past December and our 12 year old loved it. I could see teens loving it as well.

We went to Disney 3 years ago with my 18 year old daughter and her 19 year old boyfriend and I was really nervous about how things would go - we had not been since my daughter was 7 and I was really worried they would not appreciate the "magic". I can't tell you how surprised I was!!

They were just like kids - the rode everything without one complaint. Of course they liked the thrill rides the best but you should have seen the look on DD's boyfriends face when DH refused to wait an hour in line for Peter Pan :(.

We didn't do any character meals, but the kids still stopped every once in awhile for character pics. We did do a water park one day, which we never did when our kids were small and they loved that. I also think they liked some of the shows more than they did when they were small - I think they could appreciate them more. They also loved MSEP and Wishes.

Hope you have a great trip!!

Traveling with teens a few weeks ago and they did:

Teacups

Autographs with autograph books (pink princess ones with princess pens for girls, blue with mouse pens for boys) & they LOVED the princess meet & greets.

Breakfast at Crystal Palace :cloud9:

Some teen time at DTD for shopping or going to a movie, & they loved bowling

Having their own photopass to get photos

About this time we began getting DS and DD their own room, which we all loved (connecting of course).
At 16 and 14, that would be about the time we let them go (together) separately from us in the parks. We would all meet up at a certain time/place to board the bus for "home".
Let them choose ADRs if you don't already.
I also began renting a stretch limo to/from the airport which they REALLY thought and continue to think is cool:cool1:
Once your youngest turns 16, do the KTTK tour in MK and Segway tour in EPCOT. You will really enjoy them!:banana:

My daughter and her friends were all 17 when I brought them. They loved Carousel of Progress. I wanted them to see it for old time's sake. Every time we o now, they have to ride it.

Hi everyone!
We are headed back to Disney for the first time in 7 years with our two dd's ages 16 and 14. Needless to say our trip will be much different than last time (no princess dinners!)
I'm not sure what to expect. What did your teens love that did/did not surprise you? Anything they disliked?
Thanks!

When my son, at the age of 16 said that we HAD to do the Great Movie Ride and that he wanted to spend a lot of time at the then MGM Studios.

That was our first clue into the movie and film junkie that he has become. He loves all things film related. It's not his career (although I think he wants it to be) but it's his passion. I'm so glad we did what he wanted since it touched off such a wonderful hobby for him.

My son is 13 and we last went in November. Although he fashions himself to be a "thrill ride" kind of guy, he still goes on all Disney rides without a complaint. The only difference I really see over the past few years is that we feel more comfortable when he is not in our direct line of sight.

Over the next few years, we are going to definitely relax more and let the boys wander around a bit, and I am sure they will love that.

I have boys one still a teen and one in his 20s now. As teenagers, they hated Character meals. Likes were: thrill rides, pool time, aracade time at resort- they did this while dad and I ate out (with a take out pizza for them), and water parks. I always get them on It's a Small World because it is one of my favorites much to their dislike. The best thing about teens is no nap time and staying up late!

My youngest son hated Tower of Terror. Doesn't even want to go on the next trip and he's 21. He rides everything else.

My teens actually liked Hoop Dee Doo, they picked one to play the washboard. DS #1 loved the corny jokes. They also liked the exhibits at the end of some rides.

GreenCntryGirl said:
My youngest son hated Tower of Terror. Doesn't even want to go on the next trip and he's 21. He rides everything else.

The tower of terror scarred me for life too. I'll ride anything else tot and splash! :)

my teens actively dislike character meals and nemo show.
ds does not do any thrill rides,bit of a wimp like me!
dd loves philarmagic.

both really enjoy spinning as fast as physically possible on the teacups,then stumble off the ride.
we all giggle at country bear jamboree.:rotfl:

My teen boys both loved Epcot World Showcase! Loved trying all kinds of different foods and seeing the different countries. They also loved all our ADRs, we tried to make a bunch of different ADRs for foods that we don't normally get to have at home. They really enjoyed that...when in doubt with teenage boys...FOOD always wins! :lmao:

My kids "must" eat at Liberty Tree Tavern and Rose and Crown for dinner. They love all the bug rides but also Carosel of Progress,Jungle Cruise, etc.

Also love World Showcase Players and Off Kilter in EPCOT.

This trip, we are planning our first Keys to the Kingdom tour and the kids are going water skiing.

Hi everyone!
Thanks!

My two teen sons (13 and 16) and I just returned from WDW yesterday after a five year hiatus, so I can relate to your situation. It was different than before, but surpisingly - not by much. They both still enjoyed all of the Disney "magic" and were enthusiastic about the parades and fireworks, as well as all of the rides. However, there were differences. My 13 year old was definitely not interested in the musical shows anymore like "Beauty and the Beast" and was more into the thrill rides and Disney Quest. My 16 year old really loved Epcot and Animal Kingdom this time around but also craved some time alone, so I let him take the Disney transportation back to the resort (AKL) where he caught up with his social media and hung out at the pool while I wandered MK with his brother. He also ventured out on his own to Downtown Disney.

Both of them love to eat (they are growing teens after all!! :D ) and so the dining plan paid off well and they still enjoyed character meals.

Mostly, expect some teen-ness to creep through even in the happiest place on earth. My boys get along pretty well but bunking together in the same room for over a week wore them out. Give them as much freedom as you feel comfortable with - with cellphones it's easy. Also, I gave them control over the photography and they really enjoyed that. My 13 year old even did vlogs!

Have fun and enjoy your trip with your teens!

My 13 year old girl loves to have her picture with characters and then post it to FaceBook immediately! She also loves trying foods in each country at Epcot. Her favorite part of the day is the nighttime "show" wherever we are: Wishes, Illuminations, Fantasmic.

My DD (who is now 16) loves Liberty Tree Tavern. She adores their green beans. The CM was laughing at her in astonishment as it isn't very often they get a teenager asking for more green beans.

I will be taking my son and he will be 14. The first time I went my younger sister was 12, I was 16 and my older sister was almost 18. We loved the Crystal Palace character meal with Pooh and I LOVED messing around with Goofy.
We actually all really liked Ak as well (it was the first year it was opened) I loved Splash Mountain. We did not like the usual rides that teens don't like carousel of progress and tiki room.
I did not like the parade. We waited and waited and some people were so pushy. We loved the pool and loved Pleasure Island. I hate that the Adventure Club is no longer there :mad::sad:
We loved Tower of Terror and the World showcase but hated that Drew Carey show (thank God that is gone). So yeah that is kind of it. I think you can have a great time and some kids still love the characters.
For my 14 year old, he is excited about dessert, the pool, Rock n Roller Coaster, Star Wars, any roller coaster, and doing the Phineas And Ferb quests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter