What did you spend at Aulani?

jpeka65844

DIS Veteran
We have $1k food/souvie fund budgeted for a 6 night stay.

If that's what we have, that's what we'll spend but I'm still a little worried.

We plan a grocery stop, will have a kitchen and have only planned one fancy meal.

Input?

For how many people and if you have kids, how old? A teenager will eat a lot more than a 3 year old. :)

We spent about $900 for a week, for 3 adults (paid for my mom) and 2 kids (ages 3 and 6). This included:
- character breakfast at Makahiki
- lunch at Ama Ama (entrees were $15-20)
- happy hour at Monkeypod
- fast food at Aulani (coconut shrimp is good)
- groceries at Target and Costco (plus poke, roast chicken, and wings)
- take out from Pizza Corner across the street (ended up with leftovers)
- take out from ramen place in Kapolei (had leftovers again)
- Macky's shrimp truck on North Shore ($11/plate with coupon)
- dinner at Japanese restaurant in Waikiki
- dinner at food court in Shirokiya (Japanese department store in Ala Moana Mall)

We had a kitchen and did breakfast in (except for Makahiki) and many dinners in too (take out or leftovers) because DD was on a weird nap schedule and would sleep until after 6 pm.

We didn't buy any souvenirs, but my mom got Aulani water bottles for the kids (I think $8 each) and an Aulani Minnie ($25) for DD.

Last edited:
For four of us, we spent over 350 on groceries for 10 days. We do all breakfasts in the room, except for one morning at the character buffet, most lunches I make, except when I dont which will cost about 30 to 50 a day depending in whst you get and. Usually I make a few dinners. But we do go out a lot and we like wine with dinner so we rarely spend less than 100 to 150 for dinners. You can certainly eat for less, but remember thst even groceries in Hawaii cause sticker shock. Drinks at Aulani are about 11 before tip, the refillable mugs are about 19 each and a latte and bagel in the morning cost about 8.

We just spent 7 nights there, two adults and spent 863.00 on food. We ate out for all meals. We did:
- Ama Ama dinner
- the buffet once b fast and once dinner
- ama Ama breakfastx3
- monkey pod happy hour x2
- quick service a few times
- chucks happy hour dinner
- boots and kimos
- Tess bakery
- a lunch place in haleawa
- and a bunch more I forget

Everyone went on and on about how pricey it was, but honestly we paid the same as we would for meals at home

I agree with wanderlust - we'd need to know for how many people and how old they are. Our tab AT Aulani itself was what I would call reasonable for 7 nights (2 adults plus our 17 yo DS). I forget EXACTLY how much but I want to say in the neighborhood of $500ish and that included some shirts, refillable mugs etc. BUT we also spent about $90 one night at MonkeyPod Kitchen, $30ish at the Pizza Corner, probably $135ish or so at Roy's, $65-75 or so at the Hard Rock Cafe for lunch, $35 or so at a shrimp truck, something somewhere for shave ice etc. We did not do AmaAma but DID do Makahiki one night and I think 1 breakfast & 3 other meals at Ulu Cafe + 1 lunch at the hotdog stand place & 1 lunch from the place on the beach. We stopped at Target & got breakfast foods & enough stuff for a couple of lunches plus A LOT of beer & booze (probably $150-200 or so there).

We're 2 adults; no kids. We're traveling with another couple. But they're loaded so they're on their own.

We're 2 adults; no kids. We're traveling with another couple. But they're loaded so they're on their own.

Then you essentially have $166 / day for food & souvies - which should be pretty doable for 2 people for only 6 nights if you're watching & keeping track as you go (and provided you don't go overboard on your shopping). When we went we also stopped at DL for 3 nights on our way and then after our 7 n. at Aulani we went to Maui for 3 nights so it was basically a 2 week trip. I buy a Disney gift card every week with my groceries and my parents gave us some at Christmas so I think I brought about $1,300 in Disney gift cards plus I brought $100 in gift cards to use at Roy's and a $50 one for the Hard Rock. We used a lot of the Disney cards in the 3 days we were at DL so we didn't have to pay for anything out-of-pocket there except our park hoppers. What we had left of those covered most of our Aulani balance. We also brought like $2,000 in cash (and yes, we used it all and then some). We had several resort only days but we also went surfing, shopping, zip lining etc. I used the little cash envelopes from the bank to divide up the cash for things so I could stash them and be sure I wouldn't lose control of the cash (for example 1 was set aside just for tips for the car service we used to / from the airport here in DC (which was about the same cost as 2 weeks worth of parking) and for tips for our transfers to / from the airport in LA plus some money for bell services baggage tips etc.) Then one envelope was for Maui where we basically used most of the cash. I kept the balance written on the envelopes and everytime I pulled money out for something I subtracted it off and wrote the new balance (THIS is why I am "Anal Annie"!! :) ) I suppose I could say we spent a little over $1K per person for the 2 weeks.

I can't begin to tell you how many lunch and dinners we've had at the ABC store (or their variants). They have a rock'n deli set up and you can get cold and hot meals for a reasonable price.

We usually grab something there and a few beers or wine and head down to the lagoon or just hang on the balcony.

It may be a good alternative to dinning out every day/night.

I can't begin to tell you how many lunch and dinners we've had at the ABC store (or their variants). They have a rock'n deli set up and you can get cold and hot meals for a reasonable price.

We usually grab something there and a few beers or wine and head down to the lagoon or just hang on the balcony.

Oh no, we're not dining out every night. There will be a grocery stop and pretty much with the exception of Ama Ama one night and possible some pool lunches, we're dining in at the resort. We're not doing too much adventuring away from the resort but we've accounted for that as well in the final $$.

What is the ABC Store ?

ABC Stores in Hawaii are not what the ABC Stores here are on the mainland (they're liquor stores here). They do have liquor at the stores in Hawaii but they also carry a small selection of food, depending on the size of the store how much, tourist needs like sunscreens and sundries, some clothing items, small selection of makeup and hair stuff and all sorts of tourist souvenirs. They are EVERYWHERE in Hawaii! :)

What is the ABC Store ?

ABC stores are everywhere in HI. I think they have ABC stores inside other ABC stores! You can buy anything there - booze, groceries, shirts, bathing suits, masks, macadamia nuts, cars, boats, slave labor from other islands - you name it and it's in an ABC Store

There is one across the street but it's the fancy version and I can't remember the name off the top of my head. You'll know it when you see it!

We also stay at a Marriott in Waikiki and they have two ABC Stores in the hotel. One in the front and one in the back. Yeah, they're everywhere! If you spend $100 you get a free ovemitt...! Or something like that.

ABC Stores in Hawaii are my kryptonite! They have everything! If you plan on going back a few times on your trip...save all of your receipts and then you can turn them in and get free stuff. I always save mine & then on the last day, I go back and get any souvenirs I am missing for family and get my free stuff.

There is an ABC store within walking distance of Aulani. However, if you don't want to lug a ton of groceries that far...they have a DVC Villas Grocery Form. They don't have much meat or salads (ABC has these) but they have sodas, chips, ice cream, breads, muffins, cereals, milk, butter, cheese, breakfast foods, etc. The price list will allow you to budget ahead of schedule. Plus they will deliver everything to your room by 5pm the day you check-in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter