What did you REALLY think...

VAisforDisneyLvrs

Mouseketeer
of Whispering Canyon Cafe?? If you stay onsite at Wilderness Lodge do you feel like it is a "must do" experience? Was the food good?

I have 3 daughters (7, 6, and 2)-They like fun and jokes, but might not be willing to get up and "perform" in front of strangers (like the pony races.) Will that affect their enjoyment of this restaurant?:confused:

It's only a must do when we are actually staying at WL. I won't make a special trip otherwise. The food is average, at best, and, honestly, we've never had a fun server even when my oldest tries like heck to engage them. :confused3 Still ... they seem to like the atmosphere.

I would ask the hostess for a low-key server and just observe the antics if they don't want to participate. Shouldn't be a problem.

We love WCC! My oldest dd is 7, and has been there so much we know a few of the servers, lol. It's a lot of fun, even if you're just watching others. There are a lot of kids doing the pony races, so it's not really like performing in front of everyone, just sort of riding along with about 20 other kids in a circle. It's a very laid back, casual atmosphere. I personally have been put on the spot a few times, but it's all in good fun and we usually just roll with it. The servers are understanding with the little ones though, and won't make them get up to do anything they don't want to. We love the food too, being from south Ga. it's what we're used to, lol. Go, try it, and have fun!

We love WCC. We actually eat there sometimes when we aren't staying at WL. We also have always had a great time and have been lucky to have a great server everytime!

We went in September and found it very overrated. My husband got sick on the chicken/ribs in the skillet, service was horrible, we waited more than 30 minutes past our ADR and they stuck us in the back room (now perhaps they did this because we had no kids, but there were plenty of tables in the main dining room). We heard one "happy birthday" and heard none of the other antics (ketchup, fork, etc.). There was no horse race while we were there.

Would never make a special trip again and we won't stay at WL so highly unlikely we'll even try breakfast at this point.

We did it when we didn't know what it was about. We were less than impressed. The food was okay, our waitress was quite terrible, and we personally didn't find it to be all that funny. It's probably the only TS restaurant in WDW that we won't ever return to.

The food was average, and we, too didn't have a fun server. It was probably not something we would do again. My kids love Hoop-De-Doo review, though. There are more antics and the food is better.

Whether we are staying at WL or not, we tend to use this restaurant as a nice break in the day for lunch on a day we are at the MK. We take the boat over, walk around the lodge and have lunch there. My DH has been "picked on" by the waitress and we really enjoyed it. Food is okay, nothing to write home about. The atmosphere is fun though.

Food was ok...I had the prime rib, but I'm really particular about prime rib anyway and most places I've ever had it don't compare to my local steakhouse that does it like no other. My wife loved the chicken wing appetizer. We thought it was more fun in terms of the atmosphere for our girls, who were 3 & 4 at the time. They got a kick out of hearing the requests for ketchup and for everyone to be quiet because someone was on the phone. We plan on going back for a lunch next year.

It won't be your best meal and is likely not to be the worst meal either.

We LOVE WCC!

The family-style skillet is excellent. DH and kids, who are all very picky about meat, love it. The ribs, brisket, pullet pork, and mashed potatoes are excellent. They also serve a salad with the skillet with a dressing that it TDF!

We have never gotten servers that were particularly into the antics - but I think that's because we go with my mother and her husband, who they probably think will not be into it. But we really love the food there.

I would say, give it a shot. :)

Wow... We have never been but decided to include a dinner ADR there in December during our lowkey trip. We're already doing a lot of character meals. My oldest wanted to tour WL, GF, etc. to see the decorations and I thought we would have dinner at WCC.

I hope it's ok. :confused3 We aren't too picky about food though. We just want a place that doesn't care if an 18 month old suddenly bursts into singing or dancing.... I figured this was a safe bet ;)

We love WCC. We actually eat there sometimes when we aren't staying at WL. We also have always had a great time and have been lucky to have a great server everytime!

ditto....

We actually love breakfast the most...But we have been happy every time we have been...I think we are up to 6 visits.

IMO, it's worth trying it for the experience at least once; however, don't go just for the food. It is underwhelming at best. The antics of the dining room usually can make up for this, especially if you have younger children.

It's a must do, even when not staying at WL. We love the breakfast skillet, so we tend to do breakfasts there instead. We have eaten lunch and dinner. We like the lunch foods better than the dinner, but there are very few "antics" at lunch. The dinner is lots of fun even though the food at dinner is just average.

We loved it too. It's one of the few we wanted to do again from our previous trip. We had a guy (not our server) that was totally into. He put my sister in jail and tied her to a chair because she called him stupid or said to shut up or something (which she didn't). I think she had on a MN Twins sweatshirt so that may have encouraged him a little.

The pony rides are easy to skip - just make sure they cheer everyone else on!

I guess were weren't picky about food either, but did like the skillet.

We had breakfast at WCC while we were staying at WL. It was fun, but the food wasn't stellar. We actually thought it was a tad pricey for the quality of some of the stuff we got (like soggy French toast and overcooked potatoes). We wouldn't make a trip there just to eat. If you go, go for the atmosphere and the staff's high jinks, not so much for the food.

DisFlan

We had a great time. I have done it several times. The skillet is just so-so but the Salad with the apple vinagrette is the best salad I have ever had from anywhere. I asked for the recipe and they gave it to me but mine does not turn out like theirs.

I'm really loving reading all these posts. I just made lunch reservations for our "off" day for me and the DBF while the others go to Universal/IOA, and have been looking for some opinions. I'm really excited!

We enjoy the skillet and try to eat dinner there every trip, it is usually our arrival day restaurant . We have always had a great time there and have no complaints.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter