• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What did you give your kids for seasickness?

KyBuckeye

Earning My Ears
We are cruising next month (Oct 9th Magic) and today I called our pediatrician to ask what to take along for our children (dd 6, ds 5) in case we encounter any seasickness. The nurse called back at the end of the day and recommended benedryl. I was a little unsure about this advice (no I'm not a Dr, just a mom for 20+ yrs). I was under the impression that benedryl was more of an antihystimine, not for nauseau? Also won't benedryl make them drowsey? We do want to have fun! I was hoping for a prescription of something or at least some advice on over the counter dramamine or something, but benedryl? I've looked at Bonine and the only kind I've been able to find said to consult a Dr for children under 12. What did you all do about this?

Thanks,
Heidi

Originally posted by KyBuckeye
The nurse called back at the end of the day and recommended benedryl.

My mom works for an ENT and he gave me the same reply when I asked what to give my daughter (3yr) just in case - good ole Benadryl. He told me to give half of the normal dose at first and see what happens, if no results, then increas to full dosage (for her age/weight). Also when I picked it up the other day, I was talking to the pharmacist and she said that is what she also recommends as there is nothing on the market for children so young.

Here's hoping it's not needed!

***ADDITONAL INFO***Checked the PDR (Physicians Desk Reference) and they recommend it's use also - because of the ingrediant Diphenhydramine. It is also the active ingrediant in Dramamine. If you want to read up more on it do a 'Google' search like this: "benadryl""seasickness". Tons of info! Hope this helps some.

Two of the three cruises that we took our kids we gave them nothing & they had no problems at all, but last cruise we encountered hurricane winds the first night so I gave them ginger snaps PRIOR to sailing (around 5:00 pm) & then slowly & periodically before & after dinner.

One said he had no sea sickness symptoms at all & the other said just slight nausea for an hour or so.

I tried dramamine on my first cruise & it made me so sleepy I couldn't enjoy the first night. Also, I still had mild nausea. The next three cruises I didn't take a thing & had no problems. The last one (w/the hurricane winds) I tried the ginger snaps, but still got sick. However, I had eaten SO MUCH prior to dinner & at dinner that I'm not surprised that the waves bothered me. It probably would have been the same without the high seas!:rolleyes: :hyper:

Our Pediatrician also recommended Benadryl for DD3 and DD4. She also recommended it for pre-flight jitters......

Heidi,

I've been on sailing vacations and sail on the Hudson River regularly. I swear by ginger tablets. I keep them in my sail bag and have actually had to break them open twice this season. They do settle my stomach. They do not have the side effects that benedryl or dramamine have on me. (I pick them up at Target or WalMart.) You can also try ginger ale if the kids aren't feeling well. Hopefully they'll be to involved in what's going on, they aren't going to be bothered.

The other advice that I got was to go to the top deck of the ship, let the wind blow in your face and focus on the horizon. Did wonders for the sea sickness. Did nothing for the hangover! :tongue:

My 6.5 yr old DD has been taking the chewable dramamine for about 18 mos for car/motionsickness. She gets 1/2 tablet (she only weighs 40 lbs) and it works like a charm w/ no drowsiness. We gave it to her the first day on the wonder 'just in case' but she didn't seem to need it.

HTH!

Liz

Just today I was at Walmart looking for the Bonine (heard it doesn't make you drowsy) for our Sept 19th cruise and I also looked at the Walmart brand comparable to Dramamine. The label said it could be give to children 2-6 (a portion of regular dose), but it didn't say it was chewable, so I don't know how that would work. Anyone ever used the store brand with a young child (toddler/preschool age)? I ended up getting the bonine (for the adults) & hope my DD (3.4) doesn't feel sick (but I'll pack the benadryl just in case).

There are also these wrist band type things called Sea Bands. You wear them like bracelets and they have a plastic knob like thing that goes on a pressure point on your wrist. It sounds stupid but they really work! That way there is no medication involved at all.

I used the SeaBands when I was pregnant (and sick!) with both of my children since I couldn't take medication. They seemed to help with the nausea, so I think I'll try them on our cruise too!

I myself have used the bands and had good luck. However I can't see my young children wearing them since they have to be placed pretty accruately and I don't think they would leave them alone. Not sure if they even come in child's sizes. I didn't realize there was a child's dose of bonine, I'll have to look for that. When I looked at Walgreen's I didn't see it but will check on Walmart, thanks. I was just amazed that benedryl was the "drug of choice" for children with sea sickness. Anyone know if it is effective if given after the fact or do you have to start dosing beforehand?

Heidi

Thanks for the info on Benedryl. :)
I was planning on bringing gingersnaps and green apples for my DGS, but I feel better knowing Benedryl will help with seasickness.

Thanks!
Tink

My boys were 7 and 9 on our cruise...I gave them each half a Bonine every morning and they were fine. :) I did call my pediatrician first and he said that would be fine for them.

Fresh air seems to work too.

If they start feeling queesy, take them up to deck 9 or 10 and do something in the fresh air (play pingpong or go up to 10 and shoot some hoop or just go for a walk). It's amazing to me how well this worked for my DS. It doesn't for me, but I'm a totally different story.

Our pedi also recommended Benadryl for DD5 and DD4 (they were 4 and 3 at the time). She said that traditional seasickness medications can act unpredictably in young children.

Denae

both of my children (ages 2 and 5) suffer from severe motion sickness-even short car rides cause a problem. i've tried many things, including prescriptions, but found the most effective to be the childrens' chewable dramamine (1/4 tablet for the 2 year old; 1/2 for the 5 year old). also, for quick very temporary relief, try to find a product called "little tummies" in the drugstore. it is a ginger extract with a calming impact upon my daughters' nausea. good luck!

We just got back from the 7 nite E. Caribbean on the Magic a few days ago. Our pediatrician had recommended dramamine so I picked up one that you could give to children. Luckily none of my children needed it. It was their first cruise so I wasn't sure how they would be. Our cruise was so smooth that none of us even had sea legs after leaving the ship. My kids ate great and slept great. You probably should be prepared and bring something and hope you don't need it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter