What did you do to save money today? Oct 5-11

I hope y'all don't mind, I'm kinda new- not really - but coming back some to BB. Anyway... I didn't really save money but I didn't spend any - we ate everything at home - leftovers. Everything but school lunches for my kids.

Not spending does = save doesn't it.

Used a 12 ride train pass for a 13th ride.... I think LOL... went to file the used up pass in my bag and noticed the number 7 had been punched 2 different times. :confused3 Eh, it makes up for the time a month back the conductor punched my pass but decided to skip everyone else.

Skipped out on bringing home Chinese for the kids (I can't eat it). I had to hit the bank anyway (inside the grocery store) so bought some fajita makings - total $8 - got CPK pizzas for tomorrow ;)

Estimated Total saved today = $20 :wizard:

Love this thread!

Let's see.....yesterday I didnt take lunch but I didn't go out and buy any either so saved $6-8. Ate some cheese pnut butter crackers in my desk.

Today...brought lunch from home so another $6-8.

made enough chicken taco meet for tonight's dinner and to take to lunch tomorrow plus since I made it this morning it was ready when I came home so I wasnt tempted to stop for either take out or the grocery. And all the sides to go with the tacos tonight were left over from the fajita meal we had Sunday...beans and rice

I didnt stop for gas and when I checked the website a few minutes ago saw that it has dropped 11 cents since I passed the station this morning so I saved that too!

This week I have brought drinks to work instead of buying them from the machine. Big savings there.

DH was about to call a plumber because of a leak but fixed it himself! I cant imagine what he saved doing that.

Yesterday I went grocery shopping right after work. Using manufacturers coupons and after the store's rewards card discounts I ended up paying only $24 for $78 worth of food!! My $2 investment in the Sunday paper paid off.

I brought my lunch to work and DH came home for lunch both yesterday and today.

Today I won the game of the day at work which was guessing the price of a bag of groceries. I was within 40 cents, yay! The prize was the actual bag of groceries so that's cool. Less stuff for me to buy.

Also turned off our a/c. Hopefully we can go a month or so before we have to turn the heat on so we can save some money.

I hope y'all don't mind, I'm kinda new- not really - but coming back some to BB. Anyway... I didn't really save money but I didn't spend any - we ate everything at home - leftovers. Everything but school lunches for my kids.

Not spending does = save doesn't it.

It counts in my book! :thumbsup2

I had to get dog food and while I was in Target I saw a drying rack I wanted. I want one to line dry clothes inside during the winter versus running the dryer so much. Anyhow, it's really nice, exactly what I wanted but it wasn't on sale so I didn't get it. I decided I'll wait for either a sale or a coupon for Bed, Bath and Beyond to get one.

I realize I'll be spending money at first but in the long run I'll be saving money having bought on sale and running the dryer less equals a utility savings and less wear and tear on the dryer.

Yesterday, I baked two chickens. We ate one last night and used the other tonight for enchiladas and will use the rest tomorrow for chicken Divan. Friday will be left over night--I count that as free meal night!

We had a horrific experience at Outback Steakhouse and DD wrote and complained. She received in the mail a $45 gift cert and two coupons for free bloomin' onions. It didn't save money this week, but we are saving it for when we go on vacation since it is good at any Outback in the country.

I clipped about 1000 coupons this evening while watching TV. I also planned my menus and made my shopping lists for the rest of the month. This prevents me from getting takeout somewhere and impulse buying.

My budget buster this week: I bought a black poodle! Well, the dog was planned for and saved up for and I have the $$$ saved for all of his puppy vet bills. So, we won't really count him as a budget buster. he is far too cute to be a budget buster. He even has his own myspace.com page in the works!

BTW: I named him Mickey!

Just thought of two budget-tips that go hand-in-hand that I can share!

Once I decided to start doing that, I had to start buying the foaming-type bottles, which meant I had empty regular hand soap containers to throw away. I have a 5 and 7 year old, who take their own showers, but actually handling the shampoo and liquid soap containers are a bit hard for them, meaning they end up using WAY too much and spilling most of it. I now have 2 hand soap containers in the shower for them, one for shampoo, one for body wash. They know to only use one or two pumps, which is easy for them since they don't have to pick up the heavy, awkward wet bottles, and its portion controlled. Less soap wasted, less needed to be bought!

this is a great idea! thanks

My budget buster this week: I bought a black poodle! Well, the dog was planned for and saved up for and I have the $$$ saved for all of his puppy vet bills. So, we won't really count him as a budget buster. he is far too cute to be a budget buster. He even has his own myspace.com page in the works!

Not to go off topic or anything but.....WE NEED PICTURES!!:lmao:

1) Took breakfast to work - slice of toast with hummus
2) Took leftovers for lunch - last nights vege pasta
3) Made lentil, onion and tomato soup for dinner (from scratch - except for stock cubes)
4) Biked to/from work
5) Sold stuff online - $5 for some old pottery bowls and $5 for a plant
6) Washed clothing in cold water & hung it to dry

$ spent = $0

I've been holed away at my house lately, so I don't have many great things to add, other than me not going out, therefore not spending! I did need to run to the grocery store though. I am trying to use up random items in my pantry that have been sitting there forever, so I finally used up a can of diced tomatoes making a penne dish. I did need more mozzarella and a can of tomato sauce (which was on sale half-off), and that is ALL I bought at the commissary! I didn't even grab a hand basket, just carried them in my hands to keep me from grabbing more stuff.

On a some-what related topic, I do have to brag that DD7 is just doing fabulous in her dance classes. She is in a ton of them already, and about a week ago her dance teacher approached me and told me that DD is doing so well that she wanted to shift her around in some more advanced classes. She knows we are already paying tuition for 5 classes, but recommended that she take a supplemental ballet class to focus on stricter technique, so she said she would love to have her in that class for free. She also offered her to be her "helper" in the younger kids' tumbling class, so she is taking that class for free also. And today, she recommended shifting her to the next higher jazz class, which the teacher and I briefly considered before. I told her DD wants to, but is intimidated because this is her first year in jazz, so she offered to let her take both the easier and harder classes so she can catch up, if she wants, and offered that class for free also! That is a savings of around $100+ per month! I know, I feel like I'm over-scheduling her, but dance is DD's passion is the highlight of her days, and she has more friends there than at the playground, so she said its more fun for her that way. As long as she keeps up her grades and is happy, than so am I. Especially at a discount :)

We had a new Home Depot open up a week or so ago and received a $5 off $50 coupon in the mail. I went yesterday and bought 5 rolls of insulation and 4 CFL bulbs for a shade over $50. We'd been planning on adding more insulation to the attic this fall.

Also in the same shopping center, visited Acme for the fourth time this sales ad for MORE Green Giant frozen veggies, 2 tubs of frosting (I usually make from-scratch but every once in a while we need "emergency" baked goods), and 4 cans of Muir Glen organic tomatoes (got the fire-roasted ones, yummo). While checking out at self-scan, THREE $1 on-your-next-order coupons spit out from the catalina machine. Of course I used those right away.

10 boxes of Green Giant Simply Steam veggies
4 bags of Green Giant Valley Steamers
2 Betty Crocker frosting
4 Muir Glen tomatoes

Used a pile of coupons. Total out-of-pocket: $4.81!!!!

Got home and told dh that I thought we'd be seeing more $x off $xx coupons for Home Depot and Lowes either in the mail or in the newspaper because of (1) competition and (2) poor retail sales. Sure enough, in yesterday's mail came a $10 off $25 coupon from Lowes-----more insulation for us!

Yesterday, I baked two chickens. We ate one last night and used the other tonight for enchiladas and will use the rest tomorrow for chicken Divan. Friday will be left over night--I count that as free meal night!

We had a horrific experience at Outback Steakhouse and DD wrote and complained. She received in the mail a $45 gift cert and two coupons for free bloomin' onions. It didn't save money this week, but we are saving it for when we go on vacation since it is good at any Outback in the country.

I clipped about 1000 coupons this evening while watching TV. I also planned my menus and made my shopping lists for the rest of the month. This prevents me from getting takeout somewhere and impulse buying.

Congrats on the new puppy!!

I have dinner cooking in the crockpot - salsa chicken stretched with black beans and corn and to be served over white jasmine rice. I brought a Lean Cuisine for my lunch at work - on sale for $2. I made bread last night in my $5 yard sale bargain Williams-Sonoma bread machine. It came out beautifully - light on the inside and crusty on the outside. My machine did not come with its manual but thanks to the internet, I'm doing fine without it.

I turned over my credit card to DH to hold and I stay out of the stores! He does all the grocery shopping since he's the SAHD and also has more self-control than I do.

I have a 5 and 7 year old, who take their own showers, but actually handling the shampoo and liquid soap containers are a bit hard for them, meaning they end up using WAY too much and spilling most of it. I now have 2 hand soap containers in the shower for them, one for shampoo, one for body wash. They know to only use one or two pumps, which is easy for them since they don't have to pick up the heavy, awkward wet bottles, and its portion controlled. Less soap wasted, less needed to be bought!

We used to do the same thing with dishwashing liquid. We have no dishwasher so, we have a wash-as-you-go policy. The kids have been washing their own plates, cups etc from the time they were very little. The rule was - one, maybe two squirts of dishwashing liquid into the little container (a lid-less microwave container), dilute with water and use that dilution for soaping dishes!

Now that the kids are older we don't use the pump bottle in the kitchen, but we still use the small container for the soap solution.

I think I need to reintroduce the pump system for the shampoo and conditioner though! Just yesterday, I told the girls (two teens and a 10 year old) that at the rate at which they use hair products, I might need to mortgage the house to fund their hair habits!

I made a huge lasagna today, at least 3 meals worth and I will freeze 2. I am using all leftover breads to "the garlic bread assorment" plate.....

DD is walking to DH's work again today, so I don't have to pick her up. DS is staying home even though his friends are all going to the haunted house tonight ($20.00 admission, crazy don't you think:confused3). He is also seriously considering not going travel soccer as the cost is up to over $600.00 this year. He will let me know tonight!!

We are having leftovers tonight for dinner and we cancelled our Netflix account, all the good tv is back on for the season now anyway. :)

I made a huge lasagna today, at least 3 meals worth and I will freeze 2. I am using all leftover breads to "the garlic bread assorment" plate.....

DD is walking to DH's work again today, so I don't have to pick her up. DS is staying home even though his friends are all going to the haunted house tonight ($20.00 admission, crazy don't you think:confused3). He is also seriously considering not going travel soccer as the cost is up to over $600.00 this year. He will let me know tonight!!

I WISH lasagna would last 3 meals for us :rotfl: I'm lucky if I can get two out of a pan.

<rant>The cost of kid's sports is out of control. :mad: No child should be left out from sports because of the fees. Seriously, WHAT cost is there to letting kids play against each other on a field other than the refs (and they make considerably under $50 per game) </rant>

I'm WFH today so saved on commuting again... another $18 :woohoo:

Our bosses bought lunch for us today, because it was our Employee Appreciation Day. Saved $9, and I have plenty of leftovers for lunch tomorrow. I made it through a whole week without ordering lunch at work. Woo Hoo! :banana:

Skipped taking the toll road home from work. Saved $1.

I made a cheap, yummy dinner tonight. 2 boxes of Chicken Helper Jambalaya (99 cents each), with about 2 lbs of chicken tenders (bought for 99 cents a lb). I added in an extra handful of rice, a can of rinsed kidney beans (about 50 cents), a jar of diced tomatoes (25 cents), and a chopped up red bell pepper (about 50 cents). Cost less than $6 total, and DH and DS loved it. I'm hoping there's enough leftover for dinner tomorrow, but they both just had 2nd helpings since they liked it so much, so I might be out of luck.

I listened to a book on CD today at work, borrowed from the local library for free. (Yes, my job is that boring...I can listen to a book and work at the same time, lol.)

Today the kiddies and I walked everywhere we needed to go. Needed a handful of necessary items at the store, so I bought what couldn't wait until my big shopping day. Used coupons.

I finally gave in to my kids' week-long begging to go out to eat, so the three of us went out, I ordered water, and spent only $13 total for dinner tonight. Not bad for a sit-down restaurant! I still have cash for my grocery money (I use envelope system for groceries) so I paid for dinner that way.

That's all for now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter