What did you do that you thought was a waste of money?

StaciaRae

Mouseketeer
I'm planning our first WDW vacation for January. I am trying very hard to keep it within budget, but there are so many things I want to do that just keep pushing our cost higher and higher. Bibbidy Bobbidy Boutique or Pirate's League, Pirate and Pals Firework Cruise, Firework Dessert Party, Memory Maker, Hoop Dee Doo Revue, etc, not to mention the character meals.

What did you do during one of your trips that you thought was a complete waste of money?

H&V prepark opening breakfast to get a jump on Jedi Training signup. We were there weekend before Christmas and I was nervous we wouldn't get a spot. However at signup I was told they'd increased the number of children per show and shows so in hindsight we could've been there anytime before say 10 am and gotten in.

Great question! I am not sure I can point to any one thing that I consider a waste of money. The thing that probably comes closest for me would be eating the buffet dinner at the Biergarten. We were seated with another family that argued thru the meal, even the dinner show. The food was ok, but nothing to write home about. Best thing was it was raining outside and the beer was cold inside. So all in all, this would be one experience we wouldn't do again.

Good luck!

BBB. Well, I didn't pay for it, but my friend did it for her two girls. The dresses were hot and itchy, the shoes made their feet sweat and blister, and the hair-do gave them both a headache. I was there, and let me tell you, these were two miserable little girls. My friend said that on their next trip, she planned her own beauty experience for the girls. Basically took along their own, comfortable princess dresses, brought fancy flip-flops, did their hair, make-up, and nails in the hotel room, and took them to Akershus for a princess meal. Way more affordable, SIGNIFICANTLY more comfortable for the girls!

We took water parks and more with our park tickets. Even though we had 10-day tickets and (one would think) plenty of time to go to the water parks, we found ourselves trying to cram it in to get our money's worth. We should have just saved that money.

We've done the Wishes Dessert Party several times and liked it, but I don't know if it would be worth the price now that the cost has almost doubled, especially if your kids are younger. The Pirates and Pals cruise would be more fun for them, I think, and it's definitely a better value.

FYI, if you do forego BBB, know that you can go to the Castle Couture store behind the castle any time they're open and they'll "pixie dust" you for free. Just ask any CM and they'll happily do it. Also, Harmony Barber Shop on Main Street will do a confetti-type pixie dust -- with big, colorful bits of confetti and Mickey heads -- along with a ponytail for $7. It's very fun and eye-catching, and they don't pull the hair the way they tend to do at BBB. Make a reservation, though, if you decide to do it, because they get crowded.

My oldest and youngest did MNSSHP last year. My youngest said it was fun but she wants to go to EPCOT instead this year.

No question, the Star Wars character breakfast at SciFi theater. Cost us around 200 bucks, food was decent but our family isnt big breakfast eaters, the only character worth it for my son was Darth Vader and he was at the entrance only, and they didnt run the normal SciFi stuff.

Second biggest waste was another character meal at Chef Mickey. Bad food and the characters have about 1 minute max per table, and i am still not sure we saw them all.

CRT was a good deal, good food, good service, adequate character time. Now i hear they no longer give you the photo with Cinderella so maybe this one isnt as good a deal now.

Most won't agree with me but for our family, I don't feel the dining plan was worth the cost.

My kids don't each much at all... We threw away so much food. No one ate dessert at quick service and when we checked out there were 22 QS credits left behind.

DD loves BBB so we'll keep doing that as long as she's into princesses- you can bring your own dress and get the crown package- hair, makeup, and nails for around $65.

The MNSSHP is my favorite, I just have to put that out there since multiple people here are saying it wasn't worth it. (Even if you don't like the parade and fireworks, they are amazing btw, the walk on rides are even better. I could take or leave the trick or treating, but the rare characters are pretty cool, too. I think of it as a $70 fast pass for the night.)

The one thing that I thought was a waste was the keys to the kingdom tour. It was definitely a waste of time for me, because I knew most of what the tour guide had to say, and she was grating at best in her delivery. In addition it took so much time that I was exceptionally underwhelmed. I also agree with a previous poster about the frozen summer fun. Waste of money and time. There are literally a hundred better places to view the parade, and where you don't have to get shoved in a tiny area where adults aren't even allowed to sit down.

If you are looking for a budget extra, try the family magic tour (best for kids ages 5-8ish.) It's less than 30 per person, and it was a short tour that the kids will love. If you are weighing the BBB, do the pirate league instead. It has girl options, too, and is much cheaper. I would never in my life pay for the dessert party, as you can buy an assortment of snacks for a fraction of the price of admission, and you still have to fight for a spot to view the fireworks. Instead, perhaps use your fastpass to get fireworks viewing, if that is important to you. The only exception to that is the pirate and pals cruise. It includes two character meet n greets, and you get entertained through the cruise, plus snacks.

My best advice is to not over book. Do maybe one sit down meal or one event per day. That's the absolute max I would do on a first visit, or you will be overwhelmed. As far as character meals go, here's my advice. Tusker house is the better option than chef mickey's for the fab five as the food is better, and it's easier to get in (and often cheaper.) We prefer Akershus over Cindy's (but only breakfast.) That being said, Cindy's is a pretty special place to eat, if only once. Love, love, love the breakfast at 'ohana. That is lilo & stitch + some fab five, and the juice there is fabulous (and can you say stitch waffles!?)

If you need to go on a budget, don't do memory maker. Any photog will take a picture with your camera. That being said, you will not get as many photos or as interesting photos as if you did get it. I might also add that you can still get the photopass photos when you get home if you change your mind, or add them to a photo book and get that printed through Disney, without having to purchase the individual photos. That is a cheaper option, but you won't get as many.

If this were my trip, I would pick tusker house, and akershus, get memory maker, and do the family magic tour (or pirate's league,) but we don't know much about you and your family, and what would suit you best.

In January I wouldn't waste so much money and time on character dining. Between the lower crowds and FP+ you will have plenty character interaction and time in the parks. We will be there for 8 days/7 nights this January and only have 1 character meal confirmed (Crystal Palace breakfast).

This is one of those things that is so subjective. For example, many people love character meals because they feel they don't have to wait in line to see the characters and they can take pictures with many of them in a short time span. But I'm not a fan of them because I feel like my meal is constantly interrupted and more importantly, I admit to being overly picky about pictures. I'd rather take pictures where I don't need a flash and that don't end up with dirty plates or other people eating in the background in them. There's no right or wrong there, it's just personal preference.

I will say that we while we got our daughter's first haircut at MK and went a little out of the way for a few meals since we had free dining on our first trip, we didn't plan lots of extras because we wanted to focus on the parks and we ended up feeling it was the right way to go for us. Everything was new and we wanted to soak in as much of the park atmosphere as possible and I think we would have worn ourselves out if we had tried to fit in all of the normal park activities as well as several extras.

Biggest waste imo is eating at a sit down restaurant within the parks, that isn't a buffet. Except The Garden Grill, I think that buffet is a huge waste. It should be $20, maybe $30 per person..not the $50 we paid.

I'd much rather pay about $30 per person at Tusker house or Crystal palace and eat $30+ worth of food. Instead of paying $30 for a $14 plate.

And we've never done them..but I would also say all the desert parties are wastes of money.

Too much character dining! At most of the restaurants the food isn't that great and they are expensive. I would plan just one or two and check out the reviews before booking.

If you get the dining plan the previous comment probably doesn't apply.

During my June trip, the biggest and only waste of money was the lunch at Crystal Palace. $85 for 2 people....crazy!

The Grand Floridian Tea. My friends wanted to do it and I found it to be such a waste of time (and I would rather be in the parks!) and boring. It also filled everyone up so much that we had to cancel our dinner reservation that evening - thankfully, this was prior to the cancellation fees!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter