What did the fantasy do right?

disneycruiser22

Mouseketeer
Last year i remember the dream had very MIXED reviews after it's maiden voyage. The fantasy seems to have very GOOD reviews afters it's maiden voyage....why do you think? I know the pools were a big problem on the dream...do you think the fantasy fixed that problem? any other ideas? :goodvibes

These are just my opinions and I'll probably get flamed - but I don't understand why people are so worked up about the pools! It's a ship, big yes, but still a ship. How big do you think they can make the pools? If a pool is the only reason you are going on a cruise I would recommend staying on land and visiting a water park.

As for the adult pool I believe there is actually more room in the adult pool on Dream/Fantasy than on Magic/Wonder. On the classic ships adults sit around the edge of the pool where the water is shallow, occasionally going "in" to cool down. On Dream/Fantasy they actually made more area shallow for sitting and talking. It's easier to have conversations and relax.

I also don't think it's a big deal to walk through Cabanas or for families to walk through the adult area - they are just walking through. It's not like there's R or X rated activities going on that the kids shouldn't witness. It's a Disney cruise - you will see kids as some point.
We were on Dream last summer and loved it and we can't wait to spend 14 nights on Fantasy in July!

The pools are pools. I didn't go on the ship expecting them to be any different so wasn't disappointed. Due to the fact that there wasn't a cruise disembarking that morning, they opened the terminal and began boarding much earlier than usual. By the time we go there around 12:00 number 38 was called and then open boarding. Also, the rooms were available when we boarded. Luggage was in the room much earlier than it has been in the past. Everyone seemed pumped up and ready to get the cruise going. Of course, these things won't occur on future cruises, but it helped the MV get off on a good note.

The first thing I noticed was that the champagne glasses were in our stateroom on the bar by the closet. That was a relief and one less thing to stress about at the sail away. We first went to EG for lunch, but they didn't have anything kid friendly on the buffet there, unlike the first day buffets on the Magic & Wonder. This was even for my DD11 who eats a good variety and orders off of the adult menu at dinner. We went up to Cabanas, and I was surprise that it was not mobbed. The sail away was really windy and the impending rain storm put a bit of a damper on things but we enjoyed seeking the banner being flown overhead, the fireboats spraying on each side and all the people waving from the shore. This was the only time the Fantasy played all of her horns the entire cruise and we enjoyed it very much. Due to the extra activities, we stayed on deck longer than usual, so did not change for dinner.

The next day we commented to a couple officers who came by on deck 11 asking us how everything was going about the fact that the entire ship seemed to be very calm and laid back. We had been concerned about things being frantic after reports on the Dream's MV and never witnessed anything like this. The shops were practically empty the first night, likely due to the fact that we were able to preorder MV T-shirts, hats and polos prior to the cruise and those were in our stateroom when we boarded. This was in addition and separate to the RSP items. I talked to a couple of the CMs in the shop the first night because I had to exchange two of our T's, and they were also relieved since they had both been on the Dream's MV.

I did ask why the straws on deck 11 by the drink stations were open and in bins. After watching kids grabbing them and putting them back, I told my kids to use the hot cups & lids so they didn't catch anything from them. After I spoke with an officer about that, they did switch to covered straws. DS came down with strep throat day 4 and the doctor said it was going around the ship, along with a couple other things.

The pool deck was never crowded in the kid's area, even on sea days IMO. We were always able to find a lounger on deck no matter what time of day it was. Of course, this was probably due to the lower than maximum passenger load. Someone who stayed onboard for a B2B said there were 500 more kids on the next week's cruise. The wading pool on deck 12 by the railing overlooking the quiet cove pool is definitely for kids/families as the sign for it indicates that kids under 12 need to have adult supervision. I will expect families to start using that pool as the number of guests is closer to the maximum. We walked by a couple of times and saw a few adults trying to use the pool. It looked pretty silly since it is scaled for younger kids.

The only thing that I was disappointed about on the MV was the lack of a horn war with the Magic or the Dream. We were in port with the Magic two days and all we got were two short horns both days. The Dream was trying to come to CC on Friday, but the storm front that moved in prevented that from happening. We were sitting at a table at Cookies Too next to Karl Holz when he was told that she was at a certain position and the winds were XX. He said that it was up the Captain to determine if it was safe to proceed and he would like to end the week "big" but safety was first. That didn't ruin our cruise, and I am "getting over it", but after all of the coverage of the horn wars the previous two weeks that was the one thing I had counted on witnessing on the MV. There was also no fanfare in any of the ports considering it was the first official visit of the Fantasy, unlike the Dream or even the Magic when she has visited new ports. We were on ship the first time she stopped in Cartegenia and there was a big celebration on the pier.

We also enjoyed all of the shows. LOVED Wishes. I was a bit hesitant to expect much with an original storyline after Villains and Toy Story [which I don't like at all], but this was a good story IMO and we will be attending the matinee if offered on our cruise next year as well as the evening performance. Believe was okay in comparison, and I did like that the Genie referenced the performance of Aladdin earlier in the week in his jokes. Aladdin was good also, IMO. We enjoyed the show in CA and this stayed true to the story with a few changes to accommodate the space. None of these altered the quality IMO. The entertainers for the evening shows were incredible as well! Justin Wellman did the entire show the first night, then the adult show the second night. We were surprised to have Larry the Cable Guy do the show on night #3. Steven Schultz and Lea Salonga performed on night #5 I believe. The CC presentation was two hours of listening to John Lasseter and watching some clips he brought along, including his college short film. It was fascinating listening to him and even DD11 enjoyed it, never complaining that it was running longer than the hour we had been told.

Overall, I think that DCL listened to the comments after the Dream's MV. They worked a bit too hard to make the atmosphere relaxed though. It was easy to forget that you were on the MV aside from one mention by the Genie in Aladdin that it was the MV and the border on the embarkation picture. All other references in the shows were to the inaugural voyages and all other picture borders said inaugural voyages. It was a bit irritating to have it feel like "just another cruise" after what we paid to sail on the maiden voyage.

ETA: The big problem I saw on the Fantasy regarding the adult area was that if you were in a wheelchair or a scooter it was difficult, if not impossible, to take a left from the elevators due to the bar with the stools on that side. That IMO is a bigger issue than kids walking through the area to get to the family pool area.

These are just my opinions and I'll probably get flamed - but I don't understand why people are so worked up about the pools! It's a ship, big yes, but still a ship. How big do you think they can make the pools? If a pool is the only reason you are going on a cruise I would recommend staying on land and visiting a water park.

As for the adult pool I believe there is actually more room in the adult pool on Dream/Fantasy than on Magic/Wonder. On the classic ships adults sit around the edge of the pool where the water is shallow, occasionally going "in" to cool down. On Dream/Fantasy they actually made more area shallow for sitting and talking. It's easier to have conversations and relax.

I also don't think it's a big deal to walk through Cabanas or for families to walk through the adult area - they are just walking through. It's not like there's R or X rated activities going on that the kids shouldn't witness. It's a Disney cruise - you will see kids as some point.
We were on Dream last summer and loved it and we can't wait to spend 14 nights on Fantasy in July!

i don't go on the disney ships for the pools, but since you're asking about pools - yes pools on ships can be actual pools - where you can even swim laps. Disney chooses not to build pools like that, but they are possible and there are ships that have them.

It was easy to forget that you were on the MV aside from one mention by the Genie in Aladdin that it was the MV and the border on the embarkation picture. All other references in the shows were to the inaugural voyages and all other picture borders said inaugural voyages. It was a bit irritating to have it feel like "just another cruise" after what we paid to sail on the maiden voyage.

Sorry to disagree Lisa but the two prints that we bought both have maiden voyage on the border - one taken at the Pirates night dinner and the other at Castaway Cay. Maybe that was another mess up by Shutters? :confused3

Also with all the other cabin gifts that we got and Brent constantly referring to the maiden voyage it didn't feel to me personally like 'just another cruise'.

We didn't have pictures taken on pirate night or at CC, so all I saw was the inaugural voyages image on the pictures at Shutters except for our embarkation picture. I have seen many post that they had to fight with Shutters to have maiden voyage put on their other pictures. I decided that it just wasn't worth it to me to hassle with that. Shutters was quite disorganize during the cruise and they need to really improve in that area, but they are a seperate company. We had more pictures that weren't ours in our folder than were ours, so I am sure we had pictures floating around in other folders that we never got to see. That was one of the reasons I decided to just let go of that by Tuesday since I didn't want to have to spend that much time hunting down pictures.

The small gifts were nice, but like I said -- all I wanted was a real horn war with the Magic or the Dream and that didn't happen. Friends we cruised with said that everything was MV this and that on the Dream and it was very toned down on the Fantasy's. Of course, that could have added to the frenzie and the hype on the Dream, but I think that was also due to the shorter cruise.

We didn't have pictures taken on pirate night or at CC, so all I saw was the inaugural voyages image on the pictures at Shutters except for our embarkation picture. I have seen many post that they had to fight with Shutters to have maiden voyage put on their other pictures. I decided that it just wasn't worth it to me to hassle with that. Shutters was quite disorganize during the cruise and they need to really improve in that area, but they are a seperate company. We had more pictures that weren't ours in our folder than were ours, so I am sure we had pictures floating around in other folders that we never got to see. That was one of the reasons I decided to just let go of that by Tuesday since I didn't want to have to spend that much time hunting down pictures.

The small gifts were nice, but like I said -- all I wanted was a real horn war with the Magic or the Dream and that didn't happen. Friends we cruised with said that everything was MV this and that on the Dream and it was very toned down on the Fantasy's. Of course, that could have added to the frenzie and the hype on the Dream, but I think that was also due to the shorter cruise.

We sailed on the Fantasy last week, and I too, was very disappointed about how much the captain did not play the horn. He didn't play it arriving or leaving Cozumel or arriving or leaving Castaway Cay. The last time we heard it during the seven day cruise was Tuesday, leaving Costa Maya. We were disappointed! What is up with that? Guest Services had no answer!

DIS needs a LIKE button :thumbsup2

The only thing that I was disappointed about on the MV was the lack of a horn war with the Magic or the Dream. We were in port with the Magic two days and all we got were two short horns both days. The Dream was trying to come to CC on Friday, but the storm front that moved in prevented that from happening. We were sitting at a table at Cookies Too next to Karl Holz when he was told that she was at a certain position and the winds were XX. He said that it was up the Captain to determine if it was safe to proceed and he would like to end the week "big" but safety was first. That didn't ruin our cruise, and I am "getting over it", but after all of the coverage of the horn wars the previous two weeks that was the one thing I had counted on witnessing on the MV. There was also no fanfare in any of the ports considering it was the first official visit of the Fantasy, unlike the Dream or even the Magic when she has visited new ports. We were on ship the first time she stopped in Cartegenia and there was a big celebration on the pier.

I was surprised to hear this. I was speaking to the manager of my local Starbucks who was on the Magic and he was telling me that one of his favorite parts was the horn battle. Mind you this was his first cruise, so he may not have had anything to compare it to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter