Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Walker Mobility

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Yellow Scooters

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Elevationist

Princess No-Pants
I've been loyal to a particular company, but I didn't have a great experience with them on my recent trip, so I'm considering going another direction for my December vacation. Who do you like best and why? (Also, if I left somebody off this list, that's okay! Please tell me about them!) :goodvibes

I voted for - and use, and recommend - Walker. They've always been good to me.

Having to now meet the driver at both ends of the trip doesn't concern me, because I've also used and recommend Randy's Mobility. Handing of directly to the customer has been their procedure all along. And I like Scootarama because they're willing to remove the arms for me.

Thanks Elevationist for this thread :thanks:

We only rented once and it was from Buena Vista in 2013. Everything went well with the reservation, but had wished I could book everything online rather than phone. They also didn't email any confirmation, which seemed a little odd.

Only issue we ran into was with the battery maintaining a charge. I am not sure if we rented a version that might have been too small for my husband's weight, but he was at least 25 lbs under the max weight limited they listed. Even after charging each night, it needed to be recharged 2X per day and finding someplace to plug it in became quite a challenge and more than a little stressful. I didn't think it was because of his weight, because it died on our first night when we only meandered about DTD for 2 hrs or so. My 7 year old daughter and I had to drag it off the boat and push it back to the hotel. We never called to have it replaced, but in hindsight probably should have. I did write to the company and explained our situation in the event the battery might need to be replaced, so future customers would not have to go through the stress we had, but they never responded.

So now I am now on the fence on whether I want to rent from Buena again for our Nov 2015 trip. Don't want to fault them for a time worn battery, as I gather that will happen from time to time, but was surprised they never even confirmed receipt of my email. I was thinking about Apple, as they were on my original short list, but when I look up the larger scooters online only Buena has one that is obviously for larger folks. The Apple one says it has a higher weight capacity, but the brochure they link to actually conflicts with that description.

So I guess I rambled just to share, but I will be watching this thread to see what the consensus is before I make my ECV booking.

I voted for - and use, and recommend - Walker. They've always been good to me.

Having to now meet the driver at both ends of the trip doesn't concern me, because I've also used and recommend Randy's Mobility. Handing of directly to the customer has been their procedure all along. And I like Scootarama because they're willing to remove the arms for me.
Thanks for replying! Are you saying that with Walker, you have to meet the driver for drop-off and pick-up? They won't just leave it and pick it up from Bell Services at your resort? Walker is who I'm leaning toward, but that might throw a wrench in our plans. :scared:

I was thinking about Apple, as they were on my original short list, but when I look up the larger scooters online only Buena has one that is obviously for larger folks. The Apple one says it has a higher weight capacity, but the brochure they link to actually conflicts with that description.
I noticed that on their website, Walker Mobility has options for up to 300 lbs, 425 lbs, and 500 lbs. I'm 340 lbs and could certainly do the middle one, but I'm still considering going with the larger one just for battery life, if I go with that company.

Buena Vista is the one I'm considering moving away from. Their customer service is top notch, I've got no complaints there. (And they've always emailed me confirmations, that's so weird that they didn't email you one! :confused3 ) My biggest issue is the condition of their scooters. Out of the four scooters I've gotten from them, three have been older and had major problems:

1.) Older model. Scooter would not charge fully when plugged-in overnight. Horn did not work, so they attached a bicycle bell to the handle bar.
2.) Newer model. Flawless, no problems at all.
3.) Older model. Upon putting the key in and turning it, then pressing the accelerator, nothing would happen... Had to keep removing the key and putting it back in several times before scooter would actually move. Battery would not hold a charge... From 8am to 2:30pm, the battery indicator was already in the red zone. Left arm rest was completely coming apart, with the interior foam rubber hanging out. Horn did not work, so they attached a bicycle bell to the handle bar.
4. Older Model. Battery indicator did not work at all, the needle always stayed all the way to the far far right no matter what the actual charge level was. Horn did not work, so they attached a bicycle bell to the handle bar. Headlight did not work, to they attached a miniature flashlight to the other handlebar.

So I'm looking for a company with great customer service, AND equipment that isn't falling apart and tied back together with shoestrings so they can continue renting them! :rotfl:

Last edited:
Thanks for replying! Are you saying that with Walker, you have to meet the driver for drop-off and pick-up? They won't just leave it and pick it up from Bell Services at your resort? Walker is who I'm leaning toward, but that might throw a wrench in our plans. :scared:
Yes. Walker is one of the very reputable companies that does not pay Walt Disney World to be considered a "featured" provider. You do have to meet the driver at the beginning and end of your rental: they can't use Bell Services as a transfer point.
Left arm rest was completely coming apart
Which is why I like Scooterama (also not "featured".) I often forget to put the arm down before startting, so it gets caught on a door frame, tree, etc.

Yes. Walker is one of the very reputable companies that does not pay Walt Disney World to be considered a "featured" provider. You do have to meet the driver at the beginning and end of your rental: they can't use Bell Services as a transfer point.
Good to know, I'll definitely keep that in mind! :thumbsup2

Which is why I like Scooterama (also not "featured".) I often forget to put the arm down before startting, so it gets caught on a door frame, tree, etc.
Actually, they were supposed to be in the poll, but I screwed it up and it wouldn't let me fix it. :laughing: That's why Walker in on the poll twice... One of those spots was supposed to be Scootarama. Doh! :headache:

Only "Featured Vendors" are allowed to utilize Bell Services at the WDW resorts for drop-off and pick-up of rental ECVs. There is a list of the "Featured Vendors" in the disABILITIES FAQ sticky, near the bottom of post #1 -- along with some reviews of both featured and non-featured vendors.

Enjoy your vacation!

I used Florida Mobility Rentals this year. Not only did they supply me a scooter in very good condition, but they were a joy to work with. We had a long webchat before booking and then the woman actually rang me from the US and we chatted on the phone for 50 minutes (she's an ex-pat). I was then told I could have 10% off my next booking when the guy came to collect it at the end of the rental. Best of all, they were REALLY cheap! I'll definitely use them again.

I have used Randys before I bought my own. I was very happy with them and I liked the fact that they met you to drop it off and pick it up.

Oh, yes. I like Randy's because the deliver direct, demonstrate breaking down the portable ECV, and make sure you know how to disassemble/reassemble. And because last time I rented from them, they gave me a green ECV. Not energy-efficient, the color green. Green always makes me hapoy.

And because last time I rented from them, they gave me a green ECV. Not energy-efficient, the color green. Green always makes me hapoy.
Admittedly, one of the reasons I'm leaning towards Walker is because I want a pink one. :lmao:

We rented from Apple in the past and their service was fine. The last time we used Walker mobility because we also needed to rent two double strollers. They provided us a discount since we rented three items. They delivery was simple, we did not need to be present for drop off or pick up.

In checking the various sites, I couldn't find the prices for renting from Buena Vista. With Walker, by comparison, the prices were easily found on the main page of the scooters. Are they all pretty much the same price?

Like Toffeewoffy, I highly recommend Florida Mobility Rentals. I had never rented a scooter before, but everything - from choosing which scooter to rent, delivery, and pick-up, went without a hitch. They were extremely helpful from start to finish. Without a doubt I will rent from them again! www.floridamobilityrentals.com (321)558-7039 Their company rep, Caroline, was great to work with!

I decided to go with Walker Mobility. I made my reservation online for a Deluxe Heavy Duty Princess Scooter. princess: Yes, as silly as it is, the PINK was a big draw for me. HOWEVER! There were also more practical reasons:

(1) They have really good reviews, and people seem to really like them.

(2) I also liked that, unlike Buena Vista, ALL of Walker Mobility's scooters can disassemble and fit in the trunk of a car, even the ones meant for Pooh-sized folks like me. That's a big deal to me, because we are spending one day in the middle of the trip at Universal, so being able to to transport this scooter and take it with us is MUCH preferable to leaving it behind in my Disney resort room, then paying Universal to rent one of theirs for the day (which is what I had to do last year). :goodvibes And if you've done Universal, then you know... Even if you pop for the Preferred parking, the walk through the structure, then all the way through City Walk, then into one of the theme parks, then over to the rental counter... It's a doozie. :eek: And I had to do it twice last year, on arrival and then again on departure. I was wiped out and in pain before my day ever started! With a scooter that can travel with me, I think I'll have a much better time and be able to enjoy our Universal day trip with far less pain.

(3) I should also note that so far, their customer service has been top-notch as well. Erika in their office is a sweetheart! :cutie:

Last edited:
I decided to go with Walker Mobility. I made my reservation online for a Deluxe Heavy Duty Princess Scooter. princess: Yes, as silly as it is, the PINK was a big draw for me. HOWEVER! There were also more practical reasons:

(1) They have really good reviews, and people seem to really like them.

(2) I also liked that, unlike Buena Vista, ALL of Walker Mobility's scooters can disassemble and fit in the trunk of a car, even the ones meant for Pooh-sized folks like me. That's a big deal to me, because we are spending one day in the middle of the trip at Universal, so being able to to transport this scooter and take it with us is MUCH preferable to leaving it behind in my Disney resort room, then paying Universal to rent one of theirs for the day (which is what I had to do last year). :goodvibes And if you've done Universal, then you know... Even if you pop for the Preferred parking, the walk through the structure, then all the way through City Walk, then into one of the theme parks, then over to the rental counter... It's a doozie. :eek: And I had to do it twice last year, on arrival and then again on departure. I was wiped out and in pain before my day ever started! With a scooter that can travel with me, I think I'll have a much better time and be able to enjoy our Universal day trip with far less pain.

(3) I should also note that so far, their customer service has been top-notch as well. Erika in their office is a sweetheart! :cutie:

Well, I wouldn't hire from Walker Mobility. End of. More than $100 more just to get a pink scooter? I don't think so!!

But anyway, that aside, when you go to Universal in your car with the scooter in the back, do mention it to the parking booth attendant. You'll still have to pay to park, but they'll direct you to the disabled parking as it is entry level to the walkway directly down to CityWalk and the parks. There are no lifts at Universal, only escalators, so unless you park on level 3, you're pretty much screwed! We don't have a disabled tag, so I was directed right to the back of the disabled row where there are ordinary white parking spaces. When we returned a second day the man actually told me to park right in the space next to where he was standing which was a blue space! I told him I couldn't park there as I didn't have a tag, but he said, "No, it's fine: I'll be here all day." He was indeed still there when we got back about 3 hours later, and expressed surprise that we were going so early! Well, it was some 88° and we just couldn't cope with the heat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter