• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What Classic movies have you never seen or can't sit through? (Spinoff)

I feel the same way about all of the above--I have never been able to sit through them. I'd add Citizen Kane to the list too. And I don't know if it counts since it was made in the '80's, but I can't stand the Ferris Bueller movie. I didn't find it funny at all.

One of my favorite comedies ever is from the early '60's. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. I watched it with my son a few months ago, and he loved it! Some old humor holds up. :)

That is my Daddy's favorite movie. It is hilarious!

I hate It's A Wonderful Life. There - I said it. ;-)

I hate It's A Wonderful Life. There - I said it. ;-)

Yes, I do, too. When I see george hand over his honeymoon money to save the Saving & Loan, and the other life choices he made, I think, "George, you ran your own life into a ditch thinking about everyone else first. You have a right to your OWN life." :sad2: And the town had NO problems about taking his money, knowing they stranded him in Bedford Falls for the DECADE following. When they finally did cough up the money, it was like, it was too little, too late. :sad2: If they had apid him & his wife back sooner, they could have had a whole different and just as "wonderful" life.

I think of that movie as about being a martyr, with the message, "Don't worry, you'll get taken care of in the end." :sad2:

One of my favorite comedies ever is from the early '60's. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. I watched it with my son a few months ago, and he loved it! Some old humor holds up. :)

Have you both seen, For Pete's Sake, with Barbra Streisand & Ryan O'Neal? That was a real madcap comedy from those times. I was rather young when I saw it the first time and laughed my head off. :rotfl2:

Have you both seen, For Pete's Sake, with Barbra Streisand & Ryan O'Neal? That was a real madcap comedy from those times. I was rather young when I saw it the first time and laughed my head off. :rotfl2:

I think so! Was there a character in the movie named Eunice? Ryan was engaged to someone else. I think she was the Eunice and played by Madeline Kahn. He wound up falling in love with Barbra. If it's the same movie I'm thinking about, I saw it in Radio City Music Hall with my Brownie troup during an Easter show.

ETA: After checking Wiki, I see that I was thinking about What's Up, Doc?. But I'm pretty sure I've seen For Pete's Sake too.

I have never seen Gone With the Wind or Sound of Music. My cousins used to get so excited when it would come on tv back in the day. I just thought it was so nerdy and annoying even when I was like 6 years old. And the Star Wars movies act like Ambien for me and have since my mother had to carry me out of the theater as a kid. Wow that's like 'blasphemy' to my next door neighbor.

I remember watching Citizen Kane during my early college years, thinking it was supposed to be so wonderful but not getting what wa so wonderful. A sled? Really?
I also couldn't get into The Lord of the Rings movies. No Star Wars, either.
Now, To Kill a Mockingbird, on the other hand, I love.

I think so! Was there a character in the movie named Eunice? Ryan was engaged to someone else. I think she was the Eunice and played by Madeline Kahn. He wound up falling in love with Barbra. If it's the same movie I'm thinking about, I saw it in Radio City Music Hall with my Brownie troup during an Easter show.

ETA: After checking Wiki, I see that I was thinking about What's Up, Doc?. But I'm pretty sure I've seen For Pete's Sake too.

Oh wait! You got the right movie, with What's Up, Doc? after all. I got the title wrong. I scrolled down & plucked it off Streisand's IMDB.com resume page, without clicking on the movie to make sure I got the right one. They both were around the same time.

But, yes, the one I was thinking about is the one when Barbra is Eunice. :thumbsup2 That movie was hilarious.

anyhing with doris day in it. something about her really bugs me.

I am so the opposite of you. Black and white movies to me are so much better. The comedies of old are so much funnier than today to me as well. Ever see Arsenic and Old Lace? Now that is funny. I dislike the poop and gross humor of today and I don't find it funny in the slightest. Maybe it is my age?

Not your age! I don't know how old you are, but I'm 21 and I heartily agree with you. :) I love black and white movies. In fact, given the choice between the original B&W and a colorized version, I'll choose B&W every time. The acting style was so different back then, too. Everything was classier and more refined. Today, it's more down-and-dirty and realistic, which is great in its way, but there's something special about the classic film with it's sophisticated acting style. :love:

There's something special about the classic Hollywood leading man, as well. :lovestruc And the leading ladies are not to be ignored, either. There's just a different feel to a classic movie, so though I do enjoy modern entertainment as well, classic movies are very special to me and I always want to see more.

That being said, I've tried and tried to watch Gone With the Wind. It just isn't happening. :headache: I get about 40 minutes in and I have to stop. I did sit through 2001: A Space Odyssey... I now refuse to listen to The Blue Danube because of trauma incurred from said film. :P Same with Meet me in St. Louis. Sat through it... hated it... never again!

I'm also not a huge fan of Westerns or war movies. There are definitely exceptions (3 Godfathers as far as westerns go, and 30 Seconds over Tokyo for war movies come to mind) but usually I lose interest fairly quickly.

I am so the opposite of you. Black and white movies to me are so much better. The comedies of old are so much funnier than today to me as well. Ever see Arsenic and Old Lace? Now that is funny. I dislike the poop and gross humor of today and I don't find it funny in the slightest. Maybe it is my age?

One movie I cannot sit through is Bus Stop. As a modern woman, it drives me nuts that the Marilyn character says no a hundred times and yet, she ends up on the bus with that cad.

I am so with you, I love most anything that is black and white. The only things I really can not stay awake all the way thru are Sidney Greenstreet flicks and Marlon Brando (I just can't stand his movies:confused3) with the exception of the Godfather-loved that!:yay:

Yes, I do, too. When I see george hand over his honeymoon money to save the Saving & Loan, and the other life choices he made, I think, "George, you ran your own life into a ditch thinking about everyone else first. You have a right to your OWN life." :sad2: And the town had NO problems about taking his money, knowing they stranded him in Bedford Falls for the DECADE following. When they finally did cough up the money, it was like, it was too little, too late. :sad2: If they had apid him & his wife back sooner, they could have had a whole different and just as "wonderful" life.

I think of that movie as about being a martyr, with the message, "Don't worry, you'll get taken care of in the end." :sad2:
Thank you! Finally someone thinks what I was thinking!

Anyways, I love classic movies, Gone with the Wind and all of that, but one movie that makes me cringe is White Christmas. Something about that movie just rubs me the wrong wayThere is one movie my husband and I were watching called the Green Years. It started out pretty good and kind of funny but then when the main character becomes an adult it was a disaster. Basically it was one of those movies where the director must have thought "How can I make this character's life worse then it already is..Oh I know!" and then repeats this endless cycle of agony throughout the movie without a breath of air.

I have two that I absolutely cannot handle and many others that are marginal. The two that I cannot deal with are "Gone With The Wind"...frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn either. I see nothing about Scarlett that makes me want to like her. It lasts longer then the actual civil war did. And what is with the constant color filter changes. I don't get it.

The second is Dr. Zhivago... I swear if I were to see one more pause where leaves blow across in the scene signifying a new change I would scream.

I like movies and watch old movies too. I am not a fan of westerns though. Although Clint gets a pass.;)

I watch "grade D" so honestly there is nothing I would not sit through. I watch foreign and indie films as well.

My lastest movie was Vertigo although I did not see all of it. Some channel was running Hitchcock films last week.

I am so with you, I love most anything that is black and white. The only things I really can not stay awake all the way thru are Sidney Greenstreet flicks and Marlon Brando (I just can't stand his movies:confused3) with the exception of the Godfather-loved that!:yay:

You gotta luv Spencer Tracy in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" His "monologue" @ the end of this movie is great! Just an outstanding performance just months before his passing!

Citizen Kane was the worst. I was forced to watch it in English, so that one can be scratched off of my list of movies I need to see.

West Side Story - couldn't take it seriously!

Casablanca - Ugh. Boring.

I saw this movie with Gregory Peck about a yr ago and it has still stuck with me. It was a big scandal and ended careers due to the subject matter.

It is called, "The Gentlemen's Agreement".

This film is about a journalist who passes himself off as a Jew to write an article about Semitism in America. He discovers just how this affects him, and the other people in his life. Demonstrates how racism affects a person, especially the subtle forms which may go unnoticed by many in today's world. It also shows how otherwise good people can and do contribute to racism in small, everyday, ways. Written by Joan Mershon
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039416/plotsummary

I love old movies for the most part but I have to agree about Citizen Cane. I remember thinking, "I sat through two hours of this boring movie only to find out the mysterious Rosebud was his stupid sled??? Are you freakin' KIDDING me???" :mad:.

I also cannot stand the old version of Father of the Bride with Spencer Tracy. LOVE the Steve Martin version, but the old one is just so sexist I cannot stomach it. Elizabeth Taylor is upset because her fiance is planning on a fishing trip for their honeymoon but the parents tell her basically to just shut up about it. UGH!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter