What can we do to get StarWars on W.Repo

HooKooDooKu

<font color=orange>Only thing that beats a trip to
I've asked about this before, but I'm bringing it up again because I found out yesterday that in May and June they are having StarWars days at MGM.

For those that don't know it, StarWars Episode III will be released during the West Bound Panama Canal Repositioning Cruise.

I previous emails guest services and was told Star Wars will not be on board. I also posted here and had several responsed that it can't happen.

Well not I have to ask, if Disney can have StarWars days at Disney-MGM, why can't we get StarWars to play on board during the repo cruise.

Other than writing guest services a letter, does anyone have any ideas on who to try to contact to request that Disney get this movie on the repo cruise?

Star Wars Day has been at MGM for many years but maybe because of film licensing (just guessing here) DCL cannot show it...or more likely they don't want to show it!!

MJ

DCL can only show first run films in which they (Disney) are the distributor for. They are not involved at all in the distribution or production of the Star Wars films. That is all controled by George Lucas. Disney does own some liscening rights to the Star Wars characters, but doesn't have any rights to the films.

As with most movies, Star Wars is going to be playing in thousands of theaters. Sure Disney can't just play it for free, they would have to pay the distributor just like all these theaters. So I still don't see the big deal.

HooKooDooKu said:
As with most movies, Star Wars is going to be playing in thousands of theaters. Sure Disney can't just play it for free, they would have to pay the distributor just like all these theaters. So I still don't see the big deal.
See, you just hit the nail on the head. The fee to the distributor for a movie like Star Wars during it first few weeks in release is going to be astronomical!!! Also, usually movie theatres don't just pay a fee, they have to pony up a certain percentage of the ticket sales to show the film, something DCL doesn't have the ability to do. I'm sorry that you're going to miss the movie, you are just going to have to catch it when your cruise is over, unless you plan on paying the distribution fee yourself.....

I was on board when Pearl Harbor came out. They were playing it all day. I am sure they will play it. They have the star wars ride in MGM so that gives you a better chance of seeing it. :banana:

But Pearl Harbor was a Disney Movie, Star Wars is not

mickeygal3 said:
I was on board when Pearl Harbor came out. They were playing it all day. I am sure they will play it. They have the star wars ride in MGM so that gives you a better chance of seeing it. :banana:

I'll already sent Guest Communications an email and I've been informed that Star Wars will not be on the Magic. If we want it to be, we'll have to convince Disney to get it and I don't know what would be the most appropriate way to go about that. I want to write a letter asking for it, but I don't know where to send it other than Guest Communications. To get currentl plans changes, I think we'd have to convince someone at a higher level. I need a contact!

It seems to me that no amount of correspondence to the cruise line will make this happen. At least not while the film is in initial release. You'd have to convince them to drop a large chunk of change to purchase the rights to show the film, and that's assuming that Lucasfilm/20th Century Fox would agree to allowing it to be shown on a cruise ship. As I recall, George Lucas was very picky about where he allowed the last movie to be shown, requiring certain projection and sound equipment.

I wish you the best of luck, but am very skeptical of your chances. Even if you don't see it until after the cruise, you'll still see it before I get around to it.

HooKooDooKu said:
I'll already sent Guest Communications an email and I've been informed that Star Wars will not be on the Magic. If we want it to be, we'll have to convince Disney to get it and I don't know what would be the most appropriate way to go about that. I want to write a letter asking for it, but I don't know where to send it other than Guest Communications. To get currentl plans changes, I think we'd have to convince someone at a higher level. I need a contact!
Probably your only bet is if enough people wrote DCL and agreed to pay DCL in advance an extra fee that would cover the fee to get the movie ... and that's going to be a ton of money ... and as Lloyd points out:

Lloyd Dobler said:
It seems to me that no amount of correspondence to the cruise line will make this happen. At least not while the film is in initial release. You'd have to convince them to drop a large chunk of change to purchase the rights to show the film, and that's assuming that Lucasfilm/20th Century Fox would agree to allowing it to be shown on a cruise ship. As I recall, George Lucas was very picky about where he allowed the last movie to be shown, requiring certain projection and sound equipment.

I wish you the best of luck, but am very skeptical of your chances. Even if you don't see it until after the cruise, you'll still see it before I get around to it.
Correct - Lucas is VERY picky in this respect - if you don't have the latest THX (or whatever) sound system in your theater, you don't get to show his movies. Not sure DCL invested that heavily into their movie theater sound systems.

ivanova said:
Correct - Lucas is VERY picky in this respect - if you don't have the latest THX (or whatever) sound system in your theater, you don't get to show his movies. Not sure DCL invested that heavily into their movie theater sound systems.

This is NOT the encouragement I was hoping for. Of course ya'll are all correct.

Of course even if the movie was shown onboard, it wouldn't be the same as seeing it at midnight on openning day. It's a totally different experience to watch Star Wars in a theater filled will devoted Star Wars Fans (the only ones who are going to come to a midnight movie on a Wednesday night) than the smaller group likely to attend Star Wars on the Magic.

How do I break it to the kids?

They have their little hearts set on seeing ROTS. That is as much a sight to see as a Caribbean island.

Bummer!!

NeedsNEscape said:
How do I break it to the kids?

They have their little hearts set on seeing ROTS. That is as much a sight to see as a Caribbean island.

Bummer!!
When are you cruising? It's a possibility that DCL will show it after it's been out for two or three months. I don't remember how soon they started showing the Harry Potter movies after their initial release (it sounds like they are showing them now)

mmouse37 said:
Star Wars Day has been at MGM for many years but maybe because of film licensing (just guessing here) DCL cannot show it...or more likely they don't want to show it!!

MJ
Actually the Star Wars weekends are going on right now til June 12.Don't know why you thought they weren't?

HooKooDooKu said:
But why would DCL not want to show it?

For the same reason Burger King doesn't sell Big Macs. It's another company's product.

arlenesp said:
Actually the Star Wars weekends are going on right now til June 12.Don't know why you thought they weren't?

From my original post....

Originally Posted by mmouse37

MJ

I never said they weren't still having star war days.....I just said they have been having them for years....not that they stopped!!

slightly off topic...

on our cruise, there will be a dis-ser named darth vader! i know our DSs would be so thrilled, if they knew! unfortunately, i can't tell them, cuz they would really look for him...black cape & all! (they're only 5 & 3!)

I doubt star wars III will be on the boats in the near future as they would almost definately have to pay $1000's of in compensation to lucasfilm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter